+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Virtual Server 2005 - Loopback Adapter/ICS question in Technical; Hello, I am trying to setup a virtual network that allows file sharing between VPC's shared through virtual server 2005. ...

Thank Post

Question Virtual Server 2005 - Loopback Adapter/ICS question

Hello,

I am trying to setup a virtual network that allows file sharing between VPC's shared through virtual server 2005.

Overview - I am trying to have lets say 5 computers with the same name (because of database connectivity - we need more than 1 person using the same PC so we needed copies of a VPC for others to use.) So we cannot have them on our network because they have the same name, but we need to be able to have file sharing from the Virtual Machines to the Server that hosts Virtual Server 2005.

So, I am trying to set up a loopback connection for this. I have installed the loopback connection and set it to have a static IP address of 192.168.1.1 with a mask of 255.255.255.0.

I am trying to set ICS(Internet Connection Sharing) and am not sure if I need to put it on the host(The server that hosts Virtual Server 2005) or on the first Virtual Machine that I have created and set the loopback adapter on? I started to create it on the VM but now realize that might not be correct.

Also, do I need to have any of the Internet Connection Sharing settings set for this type of file sharing?

I tried to skip the ICS step and create the Virtual Network inside Virtual Server 2005 and I did not see the Loopback Adapter to add it as a network adapter.

Thank you for your help.

Jeff M.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think that you are likely to have problems having multiple machines with the same name, is there any special reason that this is necessary as I don't know of any software that has that kind of restriction.

As to the loopback the only reason you would switch ICS on is if your clients need access to the internet or outside network. It will also switch on DHCP for the loopback adapter which may be what you are after.

You wolud want to set up ics on your VServers external network card and tell it that it is shareing the connection to the loopback adapter.

Thank Post
    The reason that I am having to name all of the computers the same, is because we use Oracle and the name of the computer is tied to each database and if we want multiple users to use it, we have to have them named the same. The files that they transfer will have the correct information this way.

Thank Post
    I have figured it out! Thank you for your help SYNACK.

All computers are named the same on their VPC(HD and VMC are not though), I had to install loopback adapter on host server and then set up the virtual network inside VS2005. Once that was done, I enabled DHCP, used 192.168.1.1 as the network and then set the settings there. Added the virtual network to the network adapter of the VPC and then started it up. Once started i changed the LAN on the VPC to one of the addresses on the loopback network and it now works. I can share files from the VPC to the host!

Thanks,

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread