+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Virtualisation - where to start? in Technical; Originally Posted by speckytecky I know nothing about virtualisation - where would be the best place to look to start ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    I know nothing about virtualisation - where would be the best place to look to start gaining knowledge please.
    Best bet is to install ESXi and mess about with VMs

Xtravirt have a load of good papers to help you get started

VMware ESXi 4 Quick Install Guide: VMware ESXi 4 Quick Install Guide | Xtravirt

Thank Post
    Are virtual machines still prone to system and file errors preventing them from booting? If I have a physical server running a couple of virtual servers, Do they all pick up their own IP addresses and do I need additional network cards?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Are virtual machines still prone to system and file errors preventing them from booting?
    yep, they are still computers
    Computers have a funny habit of killing themselves when users 'use' them.
    + side is that recovery of v-servers is usually quicker.

If I have a physical server running a couple of virtual servers, Do they all pick up their own IP addresses and do I need additional network cards?
    It depends on how you setup the networking, if you bridge the network card you don't need an additional network card and you can set them to DHCP from a virtual network card.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky
    I know nothing about virtualisation - where would be the best place to look to start gaining knowledge please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Best bet is to install ESXi and mess about with VMs
    No offence but not really the best advice IMHO. ESX is very hardware picky - to the point of not running VM's off of IDE/SATA hard drive unless they part of a NFS or iSCSI storage.

ESX is for server class hardware and something you play with once you know a) what you want from Virtualisation, and b) that you have compatible hardware to run it.

A better starting point would be either VMWare Server or Microsoft Virtual Server. Both run on top of a regular Windows XP/Vista/2003/2008 workstation. Best bet is to install one of these and then mess about with a few VM's.

Thank Post
    @tmcd35

you make good points about ESXi - but ESX is the market leader, and arguably best, server virtualisation product. ESXi is VMware's entry level product and designed for 'testing' - only cheapskates like me who didn't have time to learn free KVM/XEN got suckered into it. but it is still a good product with good upgrade prospects.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    ESXi is VMware's entry level product and designed for 'testing'.
    Sorry I can't agree. ESXi is a fully robust enterprise solution and has the same core features as ESX. ESXi is strongly recommended to be deployed in production environments.

The free version of ESXi is limited by its management facilities, as it can't be managed by VCENTER.

For testing of virtualisation I would favour VMWARE Server or Sun's VirtualBox.

Andy

7. Thanks to apaton from:

speckytecky (7th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apaton View Post
    Sorry I can't agree. ESXi is a fully robust enterprise solution and has the same core features as ESX. ESXi is strongly recommended to be deployed in production environments.

The free version of ESXi is limited by its management facilities, as it can't be managed by VCENTER.

For testing of virtualisation I would favour VMWARE Server or Sun's VirtualBox.

Andy
    That is a fair point. We do use EXSi in production.

Surely to test something you need to test in the same environment that that you intend to use the software.
    - theres is little point 'testing' an XP installation if you replace it with vista/

9. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

speckytecky (7th August 2009)

Thank Post
    ESXi is just an embeded version of the ESX hypervisor, without the Linux VM for managment. Virtually all features are the same, and many server have usb ports on the inside to use this version.

The only difficulties are when you don't have sufficient CIM provider support for all your hardware, whereas with the ESX console you can install things like OpenManage, Powerchute etc.

11. 2 Thanks to DMcCoy:

Sandman (10th August 2009), speckytecky (7th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    @tmcd35

you make good points about ESXi - but ESX is the market leader, and arguably best, server virtualisation product. ESXi is VMware's entry level product and designed for 'testing' - only cheapskates like me who didn't have time to learn free KVM/XEN got suckered into it. but it is still a good product with good upgrade prospects.
    Then use VMWare Server for testing, the .vmdk files are easy to transfer to ESX(i) if you decide to go full virtualisation later.

To suggest to a noob (no offence to the OP) that they should either a)re-format their server or b) spend £100's or £1000's upgrading or buying a compatible server in order to test virtualisation is crazy.

Yes ESXi is for testing. But only after you've tested virtualisation in other ways, know 100% it's what you need/want and are evaluating a servers suitability for the full ESX product.

13. 2 Thanks to tmcd35:

Sandman (10th August 2009), speckytecky (7th August 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12