+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Axel AX3000 m70 in Technical; I took some pictures. Open the box, take one Axel M70, one power adaptor and one VESA mount kit: Take ...
    Thank Post
    I took some pictures.

Open the box, take one Axel M70, one power adaptor and one VESA mount kit:

Take one TFT Screen with VESA compliant mounting holes:

Screw VESA mount to TFT with the suppled screws:

Slide thin client unit onto the VESA mount, and plug in all cables:

You now have one very neat and tidy and space saving design:

Thank Post
    Turn the unit on. The very first time you booy it up it goes into a little set up screen where you can either specify a manual IP address, or set it to use DHCP, You also specify the IP address of a thin client sevrer for it to boot.
    Then when you boot it up it simply checks the network link, gets DHCP details, then boots to tyour thin client server:

You now have a fully working thin client. Total time it takes to unpack and set up initially? 5 minutes max. Total time it takes to boot to the log in screen? 30 seconds. (thats with DHCP, would be about 22 seconds if you specified an IP address manually).

Only thing these current units are missing is a 3.5mil sound jack to pass sound back from the server to the clients. Hopefuly Axel will add this on to future clients as that would make them complete and 10/10. For now I give 9/10.

Put it this way - I won't be buying any more HP 5xxx Thin clients.

Butuz

3. 4 Thanks to Butuz:

Axel (22nd May 2008), cookie_monster (16th June 2008), KarlGoddard (21st June 2008), Netman (23rd May 2008)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yep, they are great. We will be using them where we can, but we need sound for some deployments, so I'm having to buy HP thin clients for those locations. Unless Axel can come up with a sound enabled version of the M70.

Thank Post
    We should have sound within a couple of months....

(We are proposing deploying sound via USB, the rational being doing so will avoid requiring specific audio hardware, so this will hopefully maintain a good compromise of product cost and sound support....

Thank Post
    When you say via USB, how would you achieve that?

Thank Post
    Yes I am wondering exactly what you meant about USB sound? I have to admit that however you get sound working - a standard 3.5mm jack would be of preference in my oppinion.

Andrew

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    We should have sound within a couple of months....

(We are proposing deploying sound via USB, the rational being doing so will avoid requiring specific audio hardware, so this will hopefully maintain a good compromise of product cost and sound support....
    Any sort of 'USB dongle' would rapidly disappear in our school environment. So we probably would end up using an alternative thin client (eg, we can get the HP 5530's for ~100 now) with onboard sound.

Please reconsider, I don't mind paying more for integrated sound.

Thank Post
    We are anticipating our customers who require sound will simply use headphones/speakers etc that connect directly to USB port.

For example (though in no way recommending)

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/we.../3622&cl=gb,en

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    We are anticipating our customers who require sound will simply use headphones/speakers etc that connect directly to USB port.

For example (though in no way recommending)

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/we.../3622&cl=gb,en
    No no no - 35 for a set of headphones that in all probability get trashed - you need a standard jack socket.

Thank Post
    ....as I said, I wasn't recommending that particular product, I gave that URL as an example that USB headphones "exist". We don't supply non Axel equipment

I am sure with a little surfing one can find a model to suit in terms of price and quality....

....and even factoring in the above "high-end" phones, the M70w + these phones will still work out lower cost than the competition....!

Thank Post

Axel box - usb flash drives

Hi everyone, new to the site so apologies for hijacking the forum. I have been looking at a way to introduce more thin client units throughout the school and have been using an older Wyse terminal a test (3125 box) which works well, but only a few specifc flash drives seem to work on. I know a lot of people would prefer to limit flash drive access but were staff are concerned they still need to accesws them. So do Axel boxes support usb flash drives, i read it doesn't out the box but does it when configured to do so, do they have any limitations other than that. By the way i had never heard of Axel units before but look good at first glance (have used wyse terminals in past but not over the moon with wyse pricing).

again apologies for hijacking the forum.

Thanks
    Leon

Thank Post
    Hi Leon,

Axel do support flash drives.

There seem to be two camps with different views on memory sticks.

Some think they are a very bad idea - ie without them the thin-client is protected against adding (virus / illegal) software and no one can download proprietary information (ie company database)

Others think memory sticks are an essential and natural way to move data around.....

To cater to both worlds we provide full read/write support, by default disabled, but can with a few clicks (and setup password) be enabled.

The mem stick is seen as a network drive to the user of the terminal only.

Let me know if we can send you an eval to run up against your existing terminals.....

Thank Post

Axel Trial

Hi Axel, thanks for that, a trial would be ideal. Also any info with regard education pricing as mentioned in the thread? (if available). I will contact you shortly to sort out details (matthew@axel.copm i presume)

many thanks
    Leon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information