+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, VMware or Virtuoso? in Technical; I am looking to buy a new server and then run virtual servers for things like Exchange, VLE, print server, ...
    Thank Post

Question VMware or Virtuoso?

I am looking to buy a new server and then run virtual servers for things like Exchange, VLE, print server, etc.
    I have talked to a couple of suppliers buy i can't decide between VMware or Virtuoso.
    I know nobody even got fired for buying IBM, but Virtuoso seems to have some benefits over VMware, like being able to swap images between severs of differring hardware specs.

Having looked at several threads i know some people are using VMware here, but is anyone using Virtuoso or can help me get off the fence... i'm getting splinters.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmd.exe View Post
    but Virtuoso seems to have some benefits over VMware, like being able to swap images between severs of differring hardware specs.
    I thought this was the whole point of Virtual Machines, so unless I'm mis-understanding you I'm pretty sure VMware can do this too.....

Thank Post
    VMWare Server 1.0 is a non enlightened virtualation setup and will create a set of virtualised hardware which will be the same on any server.

If you have a look at the VMWare Server manual it will list the hardware that it emulates and the limitation on HW specifications within the virtual machines. ie a max of 3.6Gb of RAM.

Thank Post
    Well thats what i hoped to do, but i've been led to believe (probably by people with a vested interest) that VMware requires identical server hardware on 2 or more servers to move images between servers.

I am unlikely to ever have 2 servers exactly the same so that would be an issue for me.

however, I have posted with the aim of being corrected, so thanks!

Thank Post
    I had been looking at VMware ESX I think, if that helps?

Thank Post
    Nah, VMWare itself doesn't give a fig what it installs on. We have it on a Xeon, a P4, A Sempron64, and several Core2's...the VMWare emulated PC remains the same, and they all run the images fine.

I personally use Virtualbox, because I find VMWare a tad bulky.

nah

Thank Post
    I agree too - VMware guest machines don't care what the host operating system is. I've moved machines between Linux and Windows quite happily.

I believe also you can have a 64bit host operting system and run 32bit guests although I've yet to try this - I need to do it now as ePortal needs more than 1GB to run well and I have two VMs on a 32bit windows machine.

Also the VMWare converter works well - this allows you to convert a real machine into a VM.

N

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Abit of unrelated info but if you have Windows Server 2003 Enterprise you can run 4 virtual machines for free.

Also I have been told that Microsoft are interested in buying vmware.

Z

Thank Post
    There are some limitations to hot migration if you are moving the running machine between different chip architectures, I believe there is some vmware documentation somewhere explaining what can be moved around. Moving from 64 bit to 32 bit could be an issue, but this will apply to any VM solution that doesn't emulate the CPU.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your help guys, i'm starting to realise how little i know about the whole area.

Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    There are some limitations to hot migration if you are moving the running machine between different chip architectures, I believe there is some vmware documentation somewhere explaining what can be moved around. Moving from 64 bit to 32 bit could be an issue, but this will apply to any VM solution that doesn't emulate the CPU.
    This is what i thought could be a problem. i want to be able to down a machine, and move the image to another server of a different spec and age and then boot the image again.
    I know you can hot migrate these things also, but thats not the most important thing for me.

does anyone here actually run virtuoso?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmd.exe View Post
    Thanks for your help guys, i'm starting to realise how little i know about the whole area.

This is what i thought could be a problem. i want to be able to down a machine, and move the image to another server of a different spec and age and then boot the image again.
    I know you can hot migrate these things also, but thats not the most important thing for me.

does anyone here actually run virtuoso?
    Powering off and moving shouldn't be an issue with either solution, but as I said, if you have installed the x64 version of windows then you aren't going to be able to start it up if you have moved it to a 32 bit VM host. This again will apply to both solutions. I've only used ESX, not Virtuoso.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Xen also supports live migration
    http://xen.xensource.com/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Xen also supports live migration
    http://xen.xensource.com/
    But only with the enterprise version

However VMWare Vmotion is also an additional cost (to standard, included in enterprise I believe, but that one's a bit expensive)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    But only with the enterprise version
    Are you sure? Redhat certainly claims live migration and I'm sure I've seen a debian howto somewhere. I had the impression Citrix just cripples xenexpress.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Are you sure? Redhat certainly claims live migration and I'm sure I've seen a debian howto somewhere. I had the impression Citrix just cripples xenexpress.
    Ok, I could be wrong

The website isn't really clear about what is xen, xensource, express or the tarballs. I was only going by the comparison between the citrix xen versions.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast