+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Virtualbox Immutable Drive Problem in Technical; We have been using Virtualbox to provide an XP VM for computing lessons and it's been working brilliantly. I've created ...

Thank Post

Virtualbox Immutable Drive Problem

We have been using Virtualbox to provide an XP VM for computing lessons and it's been working brilliantly.

I've created a new VM to provide VS 2012 and a few other programs on a Win7 VM. This time Virtualbox doesn't seem to be immutable even when the GUI reports that it is. The only workaround I have found is to create a snapshot and push that out with the VM. The VM seems to boot from that everytime making it act like an immutable drive. It's a massive bellyache and I'd rather fix the root problem. Does anyone know what I've done to mess up immutable drives?

I used VBox 4.3.12 r93733 to make the VMs and the classroom machines are using 4.3.10 r93012. I'n my research people had this issue with 3.2 but it was working for my XP VM in 4.x.

Thank Post
    I found the fix. I needed to put the following line in the batch file we use to launch the VM.

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\vboxmanage.exe" modifyhd "c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VMs\ProgrammingVM\Snapshots\{0eb70cd9-520f-41fc-a707-18f75d3a7120}.vdi" --autoreset on
    This makes sure changes to the differencing file, created when you set the drive to immutable, are discarded on shutdown. The GUID will be different for each VM.

When I make changes it looks like I have to manually start the machine with --autoreset off once otherwise it's still mutable. Weird.

3. Thanks to madurham from:

synaesthesia (3rd September 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread