+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Thin Clients for Primary School in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    Performance is not the reason people chose thin clients - PCs will always be faster and more flexible - the real question is, are thin clients fast enough for the intended purpose ?

There are many benefits which in many cases out-weigh any performance limitations - for example cost, instant booting (a point the OP raised), silent, no fiddle-factor, no software updates - no virus implications or AV required - easy and remote administration etc.

This may help set expectations for multi-media performance - it's a few years old - but most of the points are still relevant for a device costing in the range of £150...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMnzHJbHHT0
    The Axel units would work fine for most basic office productivity tasks, but not when the backend server is a couple of desktops. RDS in 2008R2 and beyond can do the job as long as you have a reasonable server(s) sitting on the backend that have been sized to support the number of clients required.

The Axel units also don't have built-in headphone jacks, which might be a problem in a primary school.

How long does it take to rebuild a failed PC ? - a TC can be replaced and the user connected to the work they were previously doing in 5 seconds...
    Rebuilding a failed PC? That takes 20-25 minutes in our environment. 5 minutes to replace the PC and 15-20 minutes to image and bind it using FOG. It's not 5 seconds, but we also don't have to do anything new to make it happen. Most schools are already setup to support thick clients well, so in a small deployment of thin clients or thinPCs, I don't see the ROI when a lot of extra effort is required in configuration and testing (as well as possibly a new server). Just wouldn't recommend it in the OPs situation.

Thank Post
    .....you may also want to consider Microsoft Multipoint Server if only looking for 20 seats

It's essentially a very low cost version of the full server version of W2008/W2012 aimed at the education sector - it does have some limitations but could be worth a look, you can download a free demo copy from MS...

Windows MultiPoint Server 2011 Home Page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZLMBqD0c44

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the input guys!

I get what you're all saying that for a small number (~20) of devices we'd probably be better off with fat clients, but the PCs are not in use all day everyday, so spending ~£600 per PC for a fast PC that boots up/logs on in less than a minute seems like a waste

Quite a bit of negativity towards the use of PC hardware for the RDS servers.The inspiration came from here Custom RemoteFX RDS Farm – The Intro | my world of IT his results looked quite good, each PC could host around 6-12 sessions depending on usage.

Thank Post
    £600?? Egads, shop around!!

I just paid £270 each excluding VAT for a batch of 60 new PCs with 5 year warranty, G3220 CPU, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Win7 Pro Acedemic on Microsoft Shape the Future Program. All you need for quick boot and quick log on times is 4gb(or more) of RAm and a 128GB (or more) SSD. CPU barely makes a difference.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys!

I get what you're all saying that for a small number (~20) of devices we'd probably be better off with fat clients, but the PCs are not in use all day everyday, so spending ~£600 per PC for a fast PC that boots up/logs on in less than a minute seems like a waste

Quite a bit of negativity towards the use of PC hardware for the RDS servers.The inspiration came from here Custom RemoteFX RDS Farm – The Intro | my world of IT his results looked quite good, each PC could host around 6-12 sessions depending on usage.
    I'd suggest that £600 is too much to spend. A PC which can turn on quickly can be bought for a lot less. An i5 desktop with an SSD from ICT-Direct would probably set you back by about £300 I'd say. Plus monitors, which'll be anything from £35 to £100 depending on size etc...

Thank Post
    Sorry, that figure was inc VAT as we pay VAT. Our last batch of PCs were just under £500, AIO type things, 4th gen i3, 120GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 22" monitor and a 5 year warranty. Also, as an independent school we might not be able to get the MS Shape the Future licensing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12