+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Cameyo Virtual Package License Not Free Apparently in Technical; I started using Cameyo back in late 2010 when I saw this post http://www.edugeek.net/forums/thin-c...tely-free.html I have used it to virtualise ...
    Thank Post

Cameyo Virtual Package License Not Free Apparently

I started using Cameyo back in late 2010 when I saw this post Cameyo - Like VMware's ThinApp, but completely free

I have used it to virtualise a lot of software from back in the XP or even as earlier back as NT days that people insist they still use/need. Anyway it has been great and works on Windows 7 32bit fine. It is only in the last few months when I have been testing Windows 8.1 when I thought I would see if there is a new version of Cameyo out to use with it.
    When I go onto their website now I find that they have now started charging for the latest version if you are using the apps on more than 50 computers.

Well this is fine and sometimes it is the way when things start out free but then go onto being paid for but what annoys me is that after some digging I found out on their blog that they insist that it has always had a limit of 50 computers Now that 2.5 is out | Cameyo Blog "Weve also released a commercial offering for enterprises & developers who need more than 49 machines (some of you didnt realize it, but the Cameyo license has always been free but limited to 49 machines). "

Now when I looked at this back in 2010 I am sure it was free to use and distribute freely and I was convinced I read otherwise. So off I went on a mission and found this page Cameyo which clearly states:

"Installation and Use: You may install and use an unlimited number of copies of the Software. Any copies of the Software which this License authorizes you to make are subject to this EULA.

Reproduction and Distribution: You may freely reproduce and distribute copies of the Software. Reselling the Software or integrating it into another software requires written consent by CYO. The CYO opening splash screens should never be tampered or removed.

Can a company retrospectively go back and change the license?

Just a warning to anyone using Cameyo, Im not planning to pay for the new version especially after they have done this, does anyone else use Cameyo what do they think?

Cheers

2. Thanks to lmgtfy from:

Arthur (28th February 2014)

Thank Post
    No, they can't. Provided you haven't agreed to a newer version of the contract by accepting the new EULA as part of an install/download.

Thank Post
    Cheers Pete looks like I am sticking with the old version then. Just think it is underhand to pretend it has always be that way, good job anything you put on the internet effectively stays forever if you go looking for it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Interesting @cameyo used to post on here let's see if they are still active and would care to comment.

I would hope for education they will offer unlimited licences anyway

Ben

Thank Post
    Hi all,

I should probably come here to edugeek more often...
    Imgtfy, there is no intention to retrospectively go back and change the license. And you are right, my use of the word "always" in my blog post is misleading; it should say "already". I corrected this on that blog post. Thus I apologize for the confusion. To make it clear: Cameyo was free for an unlimited number of machines up to 2.0, and up to 49 machines afterwards (since late 2012).

To make it up to you guys, feel free to PM me (plus email to cameyo at cameyo.com, as email notifications don't always work for me). Mention that you were a 2.0 (or less) user and got confused by this blog article; I will email you a written permission to use Cameyo 2.6 for an unlimited number of machines.

Cameyoco
    Last edited by cameyo; 20th June 2014 at 09:45 AM.

7. 2 Thanks to cameyo:

kmount (20th June 2014), lmgtfy (20th June 2014)

Thank Post
    Can't say fairer than that @cameyo - Many thanks for continuing to support the folks who use your cool software.

Thank Post
    Thanks @cameyo for clearing that up, I'll PM and email you now as we still actively use and love Cameyo in our School

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread