+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Problems creating a VDI computers with Windows 7 template using Server 2012 R2 in Technical; For the life of me, I am having problems creating a managed Windows 7 Vdi Pool under server 2012R2. My ...

Thank Post

Question Problems creating a VDI computers with Windows 7 template using Server 2012 R2

For the life of me, I am having problems creating a managed Windows 7 Vdi Pool under server 2012R2.
    My RDS Virtualization server is running server 2012 R2 and I can create managed Windows 8 VM's quite easily. The trouble I am having is that when I create my Windows 7 VDI pool, I keep getting the error "The provisioned machine couldn't join the domain", but I can see the machine has been created, and it is listed in Active Directory, in the correct OU. My Windows 7 template has service pack 1 installed, the template joined the domain before it was sysprepped and generalized. I also made sure that the network card had the correct field in the DNS settings. The first machine is always created, and when I look at the machine in Hyper-V, I can see that it is at the log on screen asking me to sign in with Ctrl + Alt + Delete

This is my setup:
    EDGE1.lab.local Server 2012R2 (RD Web Access, RD Virtualization Host, Rd Connection Broker)
    IP: 10.0.0.2
    Subnet 255.255.255.0
    Primary DNS: 10.0.0.1

DC01.lab.local Server 2008 R2 (DC, DHCP, DNS)
    IP: 10.0.0.1
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Primary DNS: 127.0.0.1

The other problem I am having is with my Windows 8 Pool.

RD Web Access URL: https://edge1.lab.local/RDWeb/Pages/en-US/login.aspx
    This is the strange part. When I log on using my admin credentials in IE, or Chrome, I can see the Windows 8 Powered on VDI machine. When I click on the machine in Chrome I download the .RDP and try to run it. It just hangs. Looking at the address of the file, it is listed as Edge1.lab.local and I get the error Remote machine is not powered on etc....

If I edit the .RDP file that I downloaded to match the NIC address of the machine, (10.0.0.123) I can connect to it using RDS, but I'm thinking, this is not the way it is supposed to work. Any ideas?

The strange thing is that the machine works when I boot into it using RDS. Any thoughts?
    Another issue I'

Thank Post
    I have since figured out what went wrong with my Windows 7 VDI settings in Server 2012.
    Here's what I discovered:
    As my pool was being created, the VDI computer would get to the prompt where it asked me to log onto the domain. I would connect to the Windows 7 machine with Hyper-V manager.
    I then logged on and changed the DNS setting of the Hyper-V nic to match the DNS settings of the DNS host. (DC01)
    After I changed this, I logged back off and logged back on with the Admin account (the account that had rights to create the VDI images) in my case it was Lab\administrator
    The machines then were saved and were able to be created in the pools.

I am still having problems logging on to the Remote apps page. Any suggestions?

RD Web Access URL: https://edge1.lab.local/RDWeb/Pages/en-US/login.aspx
    This is the strange part. When I log on using my admin credentials in IE, or Chrome, I can see the Windows 8 Powered on VDI machine. When I click on the machine in Chrome I download the .RDP and try to run it. It just hangs. Looking at the address of the file, it is listed as Edge1.lab.local and I get the error Remote machine is not powered on etc....

If I edit the .RDP file that I downloaded to match the NIC address of the machine, (10.0.0.123) I can connect to it using RDS, but I'm thinking, this is not the way it is supposed to work. Any ideas?

The strange thing is that the machine works when I boot into it using RDS. Any thoughts?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread