+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Isolated Hyper-v for Student programing. in Technical; Hello all, I currently have .exe blocked by gpo for students, however a student is interested in programing and will ...
    Thank Post

Isolated Hyper-v for Student programing.

Hello all,
    I currently have .exe blocked by gpo for students, however a student is interested in programing and will need to run .exes.
    Instead of making exceptions to the rule Iíd like to give him a VM off the domain where policies donít apply.
    The machine he will be working from only has 1.5GB of ram, so I donít think it is beefy enough to have a local VM like virtual box.
    I have a Hyper-v 2012 environment in place with enough resources available to create a VM for him.
    Iíd like to grant him console access to one VM from the windows 7 workstation without him being able to access my server infrastructure, and his VM be isolated from the rest of the network.
    I have VVM 2012 R2 installed and have read a bit about creating a private self-service cloud but that seems a bit overkill.
    Am I asking too much or is there a simple way to delegate access to a single VM?

Thank you,

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ADMaster View Post
    Hello all,
    I currently have .exe blocked by gpo for students, however a student is interested in programing and will need to run .exes.
    Instead of making exceptions to the rule Iíd like to give him a VM off the domain where policies donít apply.
    The machine he will be working from only has 1.5GB of ram, so I donít think it is beefy enough to have a local VM like virtual box.
    I have a Hyper-v 2012 environment in place with enough resources available to create a VM for him.
    Iíd like to grant him console access to one VM from the windows 7 workstation without him being able to access my server infrastructure, and his VM be isolated from the rest of the network.
    I have VVM 2012 R2 installed and have read a bit about creating a private self-service cloud but that seems a bit overkill.
    Am I asking too much or is there a simple way to delegate access to a single VM?

Thank you,
    How about a RDP session to the VM? Different vlan.

Or VNC to the VM if he needs console access.

Thank Post
    I will look into the RDP vlan idea. I’m trying to figure out how much risk there is and how much isolation I really need.
    My first thought was to remove the network adapter from the VM completely and that is one reason for looking at hyper-v console,
    If I go with the console route I’ll offer the student to install the OS and everything, that cannot be done over RDP or VNC.
    On second thought he may need internet access from the VM to download code samples.
    If there are any other idea’s I’m all ears.

Thank you,

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread