+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Windows 7 Thin and RDS in Technical; So our environment has several older Wyse thin clients already in place that connect to RDS servers. When you power ...

Thank Post

Windows 7 Thin and RDS

So our environment has several older Wyse thin clients already in place that connect to RDS servers. When you power them on and configure them correctly, at the next boot they just open a log in screen to said server(s). I decided to try this with Windows 7 Thin and I'm wondering if there is a way I can do it better.

I have a generic user with no network permission, basically just a service account, that automatically logs in at startup of the 7 Thin machine. Also at startup, it runs the RDS application. Now this will work, as the user can still log in. I', just wondering if there is a way to change it so the whole screen is the log in screen in Windows 7.
    I've attached images that I've snagged from the Internet to display what I currently have and what my goal is. Not sure if it can be done.
    The RDPCurrent image is similar to what I currently see, the same as if I were to run RDP from my laptop, I get a login screen with the option to change users and such, but the Desktop of the 7 Thin machine is still visible.
    The RDPGoal is what I would like to go to. The image I found is a windowed image, and I'd prefer it full screen so the user cannot see the 7 Thin Desktop, but I'll take what I can get.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Current
    RDPCurrent.png

Goal
    RDPGoal.jpg

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you pop over to my blog (link in sig) I've got some posts on how I've done this

Thank Post
    Hi TheScarfedOne,

i am following your blogs about windows thin pc clients and am working on that and it works, only problems are that many of my machines don't have 1go of RAM, limited to 512mb as for now, it works but i have a lot of low memory errors as windows 7 requires 1gb to work properly, i had hopes thin pc would do best about that as it's slimmer but i'll manage to get my machines to 1gb.

I join my thin pc clients on my domain to deploy my printers via GPO and they follow on the RDP session. I also autologin with a GPO with a common domain user and replace explorer.exe with RDP via GPO as well. So it opens the RDP and the user must log with it's domain credentials, but there is the Save Credentials checkbox right there which i'd like to get rid of or disable and could not found a way to do it. Have you magened to get rid of it or it's not possible ? I wonder if the local client domain single login thing would solve that but i don't want it to be much longer than it takes right now to log in.

Thanks for your work on this, helps a lot.

Thank Post
    One way I've found to do it is to add this line to your RDP file "enablecredsspsupport:i:0". This won't work if your RDS server requires NLA.

Thank Post
    yeah it does requires NLA...

Thank Post
    Hi,

i have an error when i try to reconnect a session after about 10 to 15 minutes being idle:
    20140211_100923.jpg

i click ok and then it works but i must get rid of this error, so how to solve it ? Got that error ScarfedOne ?
    thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What you could do is make it so you have to login to ThinPC with a network account and then it will launch the RDP session automatically and it will connect you. There is a script floating on the internet so when you log off the RDP session it will log you out of ThinPC.

Thank Post
    right now i have gpo registry autologin with a domain common user (client.rdp) which autologons at boot and replaced explorer.exe with the script to open mstmc.exe in a loop. it works perfectly at boot and if i reconnect soon after terminal logoff but as i said, after a while, 10 to 15 minutes it does the error.

is it possible to change that time allowed value on the server or disable it ?
    or is it better for me to change for the users to logon on the client with their credentials and autologin in rdp with the same credentials and do what you said, execute the script to close the client session after terminal logoff ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    that did not solved the problem either

Thank Post
    how about a script that restart mstsc after 15 minutes idle ? is that possible ?
    or reexecute my connection script every 15 minutes when no connection
    Last edited by Maiden2k; 17th February 2014 at 08:52 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread