+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Computer Lab - Windows Multipoint vs Standard+Ncomputing ? in Technical; Hello, I have to modernize two computer rooms in schools (separate buildings). Total replacement of equipment. I am considering between ...

Thank Post

Computer Lab - Windows Multipoint vs Standard+Ncomputing ?

Hello,
    I have to modernize two computer rooms in schools (separate buildings). Total replacement of equipment.
    I am considering between the two solutions proposed by the contractors and I'm not sure which is better:
    Computer Lab for 24 terminals for students and one for the teacher:

1 Windows Multipoint Server 2012 Premium + CALs
    - Two serwers Intel Core i7, 16GB, 128GBSSD, 1TB HDD 2nd.
    - Many video cards in servers and direct connections to the terminal monitors to DVI cables
    - Keyboard, mouse and speakers connected by simple usb hubs.

2 Windows Server Standard 2012 + RmtDsktpCals
    - One server with basically the same config
    - User terminals based on NComputing M300

Both configurations cost more or less the same.
    What do you think about it? Which solution is more efficient and user friendly, gernerally better?

Thank Post
    I have never used multipoint so cannot comment on that.

We have NComputing L300s connected to an Remote Desktop Server, they run fine, use Chrome though instead of IE otherwise you suffer from "ripping" and page flickers.

The real advantage of using an RDS server is you can then use it to allow remote login out of hours? I have also read some funny things about Multi-Point and licensing but they are probably cleared up now.

Thank Post
    Hi Achandler, I am currently looking into the L300s, how are they working for you, any issues? Just out of interest how many do you run and what spec is the server you are running this on?

Thank Post
    I have actually moved jobs since the last post, but I know my replacement is on Edugeek as well.

The clients themselves were fine, I would definitely recommend using Chrome though over IE because of how the clients try accelerate the content on IE results in some screen flickering. The server we used, had SSDs, and two 16 core AMD processors and 64Gb of RAM.

We had 50 or so clients running on the server with no problems what so ever.

Thank Post
    Would something like SoftXpand be worth looking into? MiniFrame - Multiseat PC software

It has a a 20-day trial, so I suppose you could try it on some existing hardware to see how people cope. The trial kicks users off after an hour, but if that's all the period lasts it shouldn't be an issue. It also supports 3d hardware acceleration, which may or may not be an issue.

EDIT: Or perhaps not. After another look, people on this forum have had issues with it. That was back in October using XP, though, so....
    Last edited by fromtheinternet; 13th June 2013 at 03:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fromtheinternet View Post
    Would something like SoftXpand be worth looking into? MiniFrame - Multiseat PC software

It has a a 20-day trial, so I suppose you could try it on some existing hardware to see how people cope. The trial kicks users off after an hour, but if that's all the period lasts it shouldn't be an issue. It also supports 3d hardware acceleration, which may or may not be an issue.

EDIT: Or perhaps not. After another look, people on this forum have had issues with it. That was back in October using XP, though, so....
    never ever use this software!!!! lol

Thank Post
    Hah, I realised that

I'm still going to trial the software on some of our hardware, though. Not that I don't trust people

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread