+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V and VDI in Technical; Hi All, I've recently been experimenting with configuring a virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) for remote access using Server 2008 R2's ...

Thank Post

Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V and VDI

Hi All,

I've recently been experimenting with configuring a virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) for remote access using Server 2008 R2's RDS services and Hyper-V. I have ran into a couple of problems as I'm nearing the end of the process though. If anyone has set this up before, I'd be most grateful if anyone could shed any light on these.....

1. Once the VDI pool has been created, you can no longer RDP onto the actual host server using standard 'remote desktop'. This is because the RD host is configured to redirect to the virtual machine pool. Is it not possible to be able to connect to the virtual machine pool AND the physical host using RDP?? We would like to be able to offer 'RemoteApps' published directly on the host and, with this configuration, it doesn't seem possible without the use of an additional server.

2. We have 'RD Web Access' configured and the VDI pool has been published to that. I can connect to our RDWeb page from home and 'see' the pool as an available icon. However, when I click the icon, it attemts to use the internal name of the virtual machine (e.g. vdi-01.domain.internal). Our host is configured with a public IP and domain name (hence why I can connect ok to the RDWeb page).... but surely it is not standard practice for external access to have a public IP for EVERY virtual machine in the pool is it?

Thanks
    Nick

Thank Post
    You need to use the /admin switch when logging in to the server. This will log you in properly.

That pool on the RDWeb access should be all VDI computers.

3. Thanks to Achandler from:

nick3young (13th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Ha... I didn't think the solution to the 1st one would be so simple. Thanks for that it helps massively. It doesn't solve the problem for 'remoteapp' access though for our standard network users. Do I just have to accept that if I'm using a VDI pool I cannot use RemoteApps?

For the 2nd one... I understand that the RDWeb pool accesses all VDI computers within it (I assume sequentually until the run out... e.g. VDI-01, VDI-02 etc?). But each one of those VDI computers has an internal name. When I connect to our RDS server from home I use RDS.domain.sch.uk but each of our VDI computers have internal names (as mentioned above). So obviously these cannot be seen over the internet. I was assuming that once I had connected to the actual RDS server, it wouldn't matter that the names of the VDI computers are internal......

Thank Post
    have you set up a gateway server? if you are connecting over the Internet i would.

I believe it is either VDI pool or RemoteApps you server cannot provide both, as RemoteApps is done using a session host.

Thank Post
    I do have a gateway server configured yep... is this where I need to be focusing my efforts to make these VDIs visible over the internet then...?

Thank Post
    I don't actually have my VDI pool available online, but you should use it. Try using a pre-configured RDP file from home, so one that has your gateway preconfigured and check that works. Once you know that works for sure you can start checking the RDWeb one, personally I email staff the RDP file that connects to our session host server.

Thank Post
    Right, I have tried a pre-configured RDP file remotely. I entered the external FQDN of our gateway (e.g. server.school.sch.uk) and the internal FQDN of a pooled virtual machine (e.g. vid-01.domain.internal). Is this correct?

It asked for the login credential before going no further (it simply loops back). I'm pretty confident that everything else is setup correctly .e.g. we have a signed SSL installed from GoDaddy matching the external FQDN of the gateway.... I can see the gateway using RDWeb...... I'm a little baffled! Thanks again

Thank Post
    You shouldn't be connecting to an individual VDI but to the server hosting the VDIs, this server you then realise you don't have a /admin switch and redirect you to one of the pooled VMs, it acts as the session broker.

If you download your working RDP file from RD WebAccess, then add the gateway to this, then it should work without changing anything else. But to connect to a pool of VDIs, it shouldn't be connecting to individual machines. Although you could make it, but then you would need lots of individual RDP files, which defeats the point of a pool, even a perosnalised pool using the same RDP file.

Can you ping the gateway on the external address, although you should be able to use the gateway internally, just turn off bypass the gateway to force it to use it. The gateway may not work if you aren't connecting to the server though (as I queried above)

Thank Post
    The only way I can get any kind of response from our hosting server is with the /a switch. If I try and connect to it without the switch, I get the following error:

"....... computer is not yet registered with the session broker....". (I get this both remotely from home with the public name and internally with the local name)

This I imagine is because I have redirection enabled on the server for connection to my VDI pool. If I then manually specify my RD gateway server under advanced settings I simply get no error and it times out.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'downloading RDP file from WebAccess'.... I can't seem to do this. I do believe I'm entering the settings correctly manually though (there isn't a lot of room for error).

The gateway is on the same server as everything else - WebAccess, Hyper-V (etc) so I know it can be pinged fine from home.

Thanks so much for all your help with this so far... do you have any more ideas? Thanks

Thank Post
    If you go to https://yourserver.domain.local/rdweb in Firefox, then when you click the RDP connection, it will download the RDP file because it can't launch it like IE can.

If that file downloaded doesn't work then your issue is to do with your server/ vdi pool setup. The RDP file will also connect to the pool, and it will say it is connecting to the server, NOT an individual machine.

The error to do with a computer not being registered with the session broker implies that the problem is down to how you originally setup your server and pool, when you are connecting to the server it seems there are no pooled VDIs to connect to, and you cannot connect to the VDI directly because the host isn't set up correctly to allow this (especially when using the gateway)

12. Thanks to Achandler from:

nick3young (13th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Ah, this may be a big clue. The RDS server generates the following error after each attemp to remote into it:

"Unable to resolve the Remote Desktop for user domain\username. No Remote Desktops are assigned to the user in Active Directory. Assign the user a Remote Desktop in Active Directory."

You're right... it seems to be looking for a personal desktop as opposed to one from the pool. Hmmm... I wonder why this is.... I will update if I find anything.

Thank Post
    Almost cracked it! It seems my issue is caused by a bit of a glitch with Windows 7's RDP client. A reg key needs adding to the server to fix it.......

RDS VDI Problem Connecting to Pooled Virtual Desktops

I cannot believe that it effects ALL Windows 7 clients though. And I also don't quite understand why it fixes it (but it does).

So now that it works through the RDP client I can move on to trying to get it working through RD Web Access.......
    Last edited by nick3young; 8th May 2013 at 05:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Your RD web Access should be easy, as your server is told to publish the link to RDWebAccess, so it should be automatically configured correct.

Try disabling the the published RDP file, then re-enabling it.

Thank Post
    I'm afraid it isn't proving quite as easy as you think achandler..... Here's my situation:

- I can connect to my VDI pool fine using the standard RDP client via the RD Gateway (internally and externally)
    - I cannot connect to the pool using the icon published in the 'Remote App' tab of 'RD WebAccess'. I simply get the error: "remote desktop cant find the computer <internalname.domain>......".
    - If I use the 'Remote Desktop' tab of 'RD WebAccess' I can connect to ANY of our physical internal workstations via the RD Gateway (I had to make a small change in IIS to the default TSGateway setting to get this working)
    - I have added in the public name of our 'RD Gateway' into the 'RemoteApp Manager' (I believe this only effects RemoteApps)

There isn't really a lot I can do from there. I believe the bottom line is that, when I click on the VDI pool in 'RD WebAccess', it isn't using the RD Gateway. It is simply trying to find a computer from the pool using their internal names over the internet and obviously failing. If I try to use a RemoteApp, I can clearly see from the popup box that the site is using the RD Gateway (it doesn't do this for the published VDI pool).

I know you don't use RD WebAccess but do you have any ideas....?

Cheers
    Nick

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ive just got my own gateway set up and working for my rds farm...so not quite the same setup as yours. Rather than personal desktops - I have a shared farm, where all users will be distributed across it. My job tomorrow is to get the web access part updated to match...it has the "apps" published (just the office apps and "remote desktop") to prove in concept it works. Now, it works internally, but I need to update the "Remote App" settings on each server in the farm to give it the gateway settings so it will use that. As I understand it, you need to use your public name, and then set the Bypass on internal - so that it doesnt nerf your internal setup. Im hoping this, as the internal farm (it was primarily set up for this) is heavily used by my thin client estate!! I will let you know tomorrow. Im also going to update my blog with all the past 2 days work on it too....

18. Thanks to TheScarfedOne from:

nick3young (14th May 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast