+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V and VDI in Technical; So basically from what I am reading the published RemoteApp (for RDPing) doesn't contain the gateway, and it needs to. ...

Thank Post
    So basically from what I am reading the published RemoteApp (for RDPing) doesn't contain the gateway, and it needs to.

When you click on the Remote Desktop in RemoteApp, what details does it give you, I have just checked on my session based server, and the remote app shows me the following:

Publisher: *.mydomain.org.uk
    Type: Remote Desktop Connection
    Remote Computer: Myserver.domain.local
    Gateway server: ts.mydomain.org.uk == my external gateway server name

Do you have the gateway in your server details? I don't know for sure but if I was connecting to my VDI Pool and not my Session Host, the only detail I would expect different would be the Remote Computer name.

2. Thanks to Achandler from:

nick3young (14th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That looks right to me... the setting hides in the Remote App manager. In the panel on the right - Gateway Settings.

Thank Post
    I know mine is right it works! I am wondering what nick gets

Thank Post
    Yep....in Remote App Manager, I have entered the FQDN of my gateway server into the right hand panel. The overview box confirms that this setting has been successfully applied. My VDI pool is not visible in the RemoteApp program list at the bottom though.... the way my pool has been published is through RD Connection Manager (I right clicked the pool and ticked the box for "show in RemoteApp and Desktop Connection"). I don't know if this is relevant?

Achandler..... where do I click on the remote desktop to pull up those settings? I don't have the option in RemoteApp since it isn't visible and I cannot do anything in my browser. Is there an alternative way of publishing it?

Thanks again

EDIT: I have published a standard RemoteApp (the standard way) and this does appear to be picking up the gateway (a box appears when you try and run it which contains the gatway address). The VDI pool misses this line of information when you clikc it though.
    Last edited by nick3young; 14th May 2013 at 01:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Interesting, so when you publish the standard app, it picks up the gateway but the remote app doesn't. That box your talking about is what I see.

Which server is the standard app trying to connect to?

Thank Post
    The standard app has the following:

Publisher: *.mydomain.sch.uk
    Type: RemoteApp Program
    Remote Computer: server.mydomain.sch.uk
    Gateway server: server.mydomain.sch.uk (these 2 addresses are the same, gateway and remote computer)

The remote desktop (VDI pool) has the following:

Publisher: *.mydomain.sch.uk
    Type: Remote Desktop Connection
    Remote Computer: server.domain.internal

... there isn't a gateway line.....

Thank Post
    Cracked it...... I recreated the VDI pool (30 second job). Not a very satisfying conclusion but at least it works! I guess it must be because I entered the RD gateway settings after I created the pool. Thanks for the help to both you.

My next tasks (!)....... get single sign on working (for some reason it asks me to enter username/password when I click on the pool after logging into RD Web Access). Also, it comes up with a certificate warning for the VDI machine..... I guess this is because the internal name doesn't match the public name on my SSL certificate. Is there any way around that?

Thank Post
    The certificate warning is something I never sorted out because I didn't think it was that big of an issue, we taught our staff to accept the certificate.

As for the single sign on, that should be a few tick boxes to get to work.

The fix would explain it, the pool and the RDP file being created before the gateway meaning they didn't know about it and hence when recreated it does appear, my gateway was there from the start but for me the gateway was created early.

I'm glad you have it solved except a couple of minor niggles that can be ironed out.

Thank Post
    I ws hoping to update this thread with the solutions to my final couple of niggles.... but reports on the internet are so 'wishy-washy' when it comes to SSO and SSL with remote access. I've had to admit defeat!

I thought it would be tidier to start a new thread on this since my initial problems have now been resolved in this thread. My new thread on SSO and SSL is here:

RD Web Access: SSL Cert and SSO for Desktops (Personal & VDI)

Thanks

Thank Post
    Nick, were you ever able to configure your RD Web for external web acces? I am stuck at that part. I don't know what to do next. How did you redirect your site for external access?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12