+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, VLANs in Virtualisation in Technical; Evening all, We are now in possession of our two servers ready for virtualising our older pieces of hardware. My ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

VLANs in Virtualisation

Evening all,

We are now in possession of our two servers ready for virtualising our older pieces of hardware. My funding was cut in half during the project and the funds I had for a SAN are now gone. Gutted - but there is nothing I can do at the moment.

I am moving forward with virtualising some of the smaller servers and they will be stored on the servers (which have large hard drives mirrored).

I've read somewhere that you should keep your host servers in a seperate VLAN with a different IP range yet can keep your virtualised servers on them with the 'main' ip range. Can anyone advise me why this is so?

Currently, all servers are on 10.180.8.xxx/255.255.248.0 - I want to keep this for them when they are virtualised. Can I put my two host servers on something different that doesn't confilict wich anything the LEA has in place (for example 192.168.0.xxx) - why would I do this? Have I read it right?

Many thanks

Gareth

Thank Post
    How many NICS are there in each server and what hypervisor are you going with?

3. Thanks to geezersoft from:

garethedmondson (30th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Evening all,

We are now in possession of our two servers ready for virtualising our older pieces of hardware. My funding was cut in half during the project and the funds I had for a SAN are now gone. Gutted - but there is nothing I can do at the moment.

I am moving forward with virtualising some of the smaller servers and they will be stored on the servers (which have large hard drives mirrored).

I've read somewhere that you should keep your host servers in a seperate VLAN with a different IP range yet can keep your virtualised servers on them with the 'main' ip range. Can anyone advise me why this is so?

Currently, all servers are on 10.180.8.xxx/255.255.248.0 - I want to keep this for them when they are virtualised. Can I put my two host servers on something different that doesn't confilict wich anything the LEA has in place (for example 192.168.0.xxx) - why would I do this? Have I read it right?

Many thanks

Gareth
    It's for security reason. So Tommy User can't go scanning around your curriculum ip range and chance upon your VI and also so V motion and management traffic stay separate from the normal network traffic. I know one or two implementations that use the same range and have never had any problems. These are schools were talking about, not high security implementations. Up to you, if you're anal about security then use a different ip range (you don't actually need a separate vlan for that to be fair). If is fear about the amount of traffic then with two hosts in this environment as long as you have Gb connectivity, you won't have a problem
    Last edited by TheScarfedOne; 30th March 2013 at 11:26 AM.

5. Thanks to Dave_O from:

garethedmondson (30th March 2013)

Thank Post
    The only reason not to VLAN it is if you can't. ie. the hardware doesn't support it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ConradJones View Post
    The only reason not to VLAN it is if you can't. ie. the hardware doesn't support it.
    Blimey! It would have to be really old kit not to support vlans. I remember back in the 80s we had non-layer 2 device. Not seen one since the though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post
    It would have to be really old kit not to support vlans.
    or cheap

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ConradJones View Post
    or cheap
    I'm not sure anyone actually sells non-layer 2 switches when you can pick an 8 port L2 for less than £50 and if you're talking cheaper than that, then you're in the wrong job.

Thank Post
    I'm not in the wrong job mate. Plenty of people who are though. I wouldn't entertain buying something that cheap, plenty of people who would though as they can't see past the next 5 minutes.
    Last edited by ConradJones; 30th March 2013 at 11:49 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To the OP - as mentioned, its a security issue. Putting them in their own VLAN, which is segregated from the rest of the network isolates them from prying eyes. However, in most school setups, I'd say its a bit overkill - the infrastructure doesn't face that sort of threat in a school, or at least it shouldn't, due to all the other security precautions in place (locked down clients etc...).

However, there is another issue with giving it different IPs etc... And that is one of availability. In an ideal world, you would have a separate management interface to your client interface (the one the guest machines use). This way, if the client interface is 100% utilised for whatever reason, you can still connect and manage the machines. Whether this is on a separate VLAN or not is up to you.

In a further ideal world, you'd have 3 interfaces per box, with your SAN in place too. 1 would be the management interface, 1 the client, and 1 for iSCSI (which according to best practice, should be on a separate switch entirely). That way, everything is split up, nothing can overload each other etc... However, you'd then want to go to 6 such interfaces, (on at least 2 different controllers, 3 on each), to allow for failure...

The numbers could increase and increase though, as you might also want 2 switches to add redundancy etc...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Basicly what @localzuk said - although to be honest I recommend a lot more than 1 interface for client traffic. I tend to have 2 x ISCSI, 2 x management 2 x VMotion and 4 x client traffic split across the main board and a PCI cards.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Basicly what @localzuk said - although to be honest I recommend a lot more than 1 interface for client traffic. I tend to have 2 x ISCSI, 2 x management and VMotion and 4 x client traffic split across the main board and a PCI card.
    It all depends on cost and what sort of interface though. We have a single interface for traffic on our servers, but it is 10Gbps so works great.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It all depends on cost and what sort of interface though. We have a single interface for traffic on our servers, but it is 10Gbps so works great.
    Yup but even then you ideally need 2 for redundancy

Thank Post
    dual 10gbe here. management / vmotion is still on the 1gb for no other reason than we haven't moved it yet. will get removed this easter.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Yup but even then you ideally need 2 for redundancy
    Indeed, but ideally you'd also need 2 switches for them to plug into as well... So basically, you're just drawing a line at a different point with your cost-benefit analysis.

Thank Post
    Indeed, but ideally you'd also need 2 switches for them to plug into as well... So basically, you're just drawing a line at a different point with your cost-benefit analysis.
    oh yes completly i'm going with an ideal scenario and also dual links between those switches.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast