+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, VLANs in Virtualisation in Technical; Originally Posted by SYNACK 1. sounds practical 2. Oh patronising... Look up the CPU architecture and performance metrics on network ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    1. sounds practical
    2. Oh patronising... Look up the CPU architecture and performance metrics on network cards it is based in fact.
    3. as above I am only responding to the scaling that you put forward as an example, that kind of seporation is scaled for thousands of users, I am going on your setup. I am fully aware of the fact that most schools are not that big.

Again I am just providing alternatives, your view of the one true way just pushes my buttons, you do not allow for any system or schenario that is not your own.
    2. Yes couldn't resist that one, especially when I note you are half a world away (or at least I hope you are!)
    3. My way is the true way! You should know that from reading my other posts! Seriously though there is a lot of mis-information out there (especially from vendors) about what is needed in a school scenario. What I don't want is schools spending an inordinate amount money on a solution that is totally over spec'ed and unnecessary and not fit for purpose. Hence my constant rants about VDI

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,667 Times in 2,264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post
    2. Yes couldn't resist that one, especially when I note you are half a world away (or at least I hope you are!)
    3. My way is the true way! You should know that from reading my other posts! Seriously though there is a lot of mis-information out there (especially from vendors) about what is needed in a school scenario. What I don't want is schools spending an inordinate amount money on a solution that is totally over spec'ed and unnecessary and not fit for purpose. Hence my constant rants about VDI
    2. Oh I am everywhere, that scratching at the windows, the creak of the floorboard, that's me

3. Fair enough. We don't have 10GBe either but there may well be a place for it, VDI is an interssting subject too, but not overly economical till really cheap client hardware shows up with full acceleration handoff.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    No-one has mentioned 10GbE fibre. My host servers have 10GbE ports onboard, and the storage server has it as an extra card. They plug into an 8 port 10GbE module in our HP 5406zl switch, which was full. So, our purchasing decision was to buy the 1GbE versions of the servers and then trunk things, or just spend the 2k on a 10GbE module for the core, and then we used copper 10GbE cables (gbics formed into the cable).

Worked out cheaper for us than going 1GbE.
    + 1 cable vs 6

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have been using Veeam One over the last couple of days and remembered this thread. The attached image shows the Network usage from 7:40am to 2pm today Thursday. Just a normal day in toyland. Bear in mind this represents network usage across all virtual machines not just a few. Not sure what happened at 13:18 but even that only peaks at 60MBps. At that time there were 323 logged in users and it was the middle of a lesson so could be anything...

Network traffic.jpg

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've had our storage server task manager open for a while today, and it averages around 10Mbps, however, it can and does peak at > 1Gbps at times. I had it hit 1.5Gbps last night.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Was that during a backup routine?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post
    Was that during a backup routine?
    No, that was during a complete reboot of all VMs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes that would do it!! I don't normally see that amount of activity unless I am rebuilding a VM pool through the VMWare View broker!

I do have to ask, why? If it's VMware then possibly tools upgrade following patching. For Microsoft stuff I don't know is there an equivalent patch procedure. Or do you just like putting the systems through its paces!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123