+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Dans Guardian and Squid in Technical; Morning All, I've looked just about everywhere on the internet and can't find a good answer for this - im ...

Thank Post

Unhappy Dans Guardian and Squid

Morning All,

I've looked just about everywhere on the internet and can't find a good answer for this - im hoping some of you guys will have the know how to help. Its a problem I can't seem to a) get my head around and b) might be lacking certain knowledge or skills (<----much more likely!)

The school currently has council provided broadband and content filtering, which is pretty much the de facto standard in most places.

One school I work with has BT inifinity coming in on an independant line, only currently used by one person (They are aware its totally unfiltered, there is no access from children)

The coucil cannot, or will not, upgrade the current 1mbps line shared by the whole school to infinity (about 60mb) so i've been tasked with finding an 'economical' way to sort this out. I wanted to set it up so that the council internet can still be access via "council-proxy" and our internet access by "BT-Infinity" proxy - and the two to be switched as and when required.

At my disposal is a dedicated server running 250GB SAS 10.2k drives with 12MB of Ram and Xeon 2.2 Quad processor, so in terms of bottlenecks we should be ok. It runs Windows Server 2008R2 standard.

Currently, the BT Homehub is running on 192.168.1.254 (The standard) and the internal network, 10.x.x.x. Both connections run through this server - they are not bridged.

I have virtualbox setup with ubunutu server, running dansguardian and squid. Squid effectivily runs on port 3128 and points to dans guardian on 8080. I am using 'freeproxy' on windows server, to direct traffic from the internal NIC (Static) 10.x.x.x to *Any*

Dans guardian works from a loopback address on the virtualbox flawlessly

From the machines on the 10.x.x.x network, if they use the proxy for this server - sometimes dansguardian blocks the site, other times it doesnt. I imagine this is because of FreeProxy pointing to *any* means it sometimes gets through to the HomeHub running on ~1.254

One problem is virtual box sets the linux machine an IP of 192.168.1.26 as a bridged adaptor, and FreeProxy must bind to an IP address on the host server, that would be ~1.25 - there is no option to freely specify ~1.26

I should mention as well, I am hoping to get away with not purchasing anything other than the HomeHub and have the server do the legwork - but it is limited as to which configurations it will allow....you can't even set DNS??????

I purposely havent set up iptables yet as I wanted to get it working correctly on Dansguardian first.

Does anyone have any idea's how to achieve this? - should I be setting up squid on the linux server as a proxy and leave the proxy out of Windows altogether? I feel like im missing a trick. My knowledge of Linux isn't brilliant either, so please be gentle

Apologises for the long introduction and many thanks in advance for any advice you might have

Thanks

Chris
    Last edited by Homer3334; 26th February 2013 at 10:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Hi

I know this will be a silly question but why are you using freeproxy. Do you not apply your internet explorer settings in group policy. This will send the client machine to the dansguardian:8080 port direct.

Richard

Thank Post
    cki;936345]Hi

I know this will be a silly question but why are you using freeproxy. Do you not apply your internet explorer settings in group policy. This will send the client machine to the dansguardian:8080 port direct.

Richard[/QUOTE]

Hi Richard, thanks for the reply

Freeproxy is being used to direct traffic from the internal network to the virtual machine, I can deploy proxy through GP once it's all working but at the moment on test machines, the content filter isn't working as it should

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread