+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Alternatives to Windows 7 as base OS on Citrix VDI netbooks in Technical; Hi We are currently running netbooks with windows 7 to access Xendesktop via appliance lock. To be honest, you are ...

Thank Post

Alternatives to Windows 7 as base OS on Citrix VDI netbooks

Hi

We are currently running netbooks with windows 7 to access Xendesktop via appliance lock. To be honest, you are effectively logging into domain computers twice, so power on to VDI desktops times aren't particularly fast.

Ideally, it would be an idea to have a lightweight OS such as linux or android which is configured to boot straight to the citrix homepage and wireless network. The user could then log into VDI via the webpage.

Has anyone ever got a setup like this working?

cheers

Thank Post
    I would be interested in this. Got a set netbooks which are useless. Too slow so would like to install Linux then remote in to a server as said above

Thank Post
    How about installing a cut down version of windows 7, which is not connected to the network, that automatically logs you in to a local account and run the app that way. It saves time when the device loads up because its not loading all of the other rubbish that windows loads.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstech View Post
    How about installing a cut down version of windows 7, which is not connected to the network, that automatically logs you in to a local account and run the app that way. It saves time when the device loads up because its not loading all of the other rubbish that windows loads.
    Sorry to sound dumb, but what exactly is a 'cut down version' of windows 7? By not connected to the network I presume you mean non domain?

This idea has potential though. I guess you could then automatically open up a locked down browser window (once the wireless has formed a connection) of which defaults to the citrix gateway address and then the user can log into a VDI session from there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superatticman View Post
    Sorry to sound dumb, but what exactly is a 'cut down version' of windows 7? By not connected to the network I presume you mean non domain?

This idea has potential though. I guess you could then automatically open up a locked down browser window (once the wireless has formed a connection) of which defaults to the citrix gateway address and then the user can log into a VDI session from there.
    A cut down version of windows 7 is just a very basic install of windows 7 But with out all of the other rubbish installed. Yes when I put not connected to the network I do mean not connected to the domain.

Yes you could open a locked down browser that only allows access to the Citrix gateway.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,388 Times in 1,768 Posts
    Sorry to sound dumb, but what exactly is a 'cut down version' of windows 7?
    Windows Thin PC is an actual cut down version of Windows.

once the wireless has formed a connection
    Windows 8 will be much faster than Windows 7 at connecting to wireless networks (in addition to booting up).

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the posting so far. Its given me much food for thought! Our netbooks have SSD's and we should be getting better performance out of them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    We use Centos, and deploy it using Spacewalk.
    The machines use a backports of the latest wireless kernel drivers and logs into a generic account which resets the profile on reboot.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    If you want a software built solution look at VDI Blaster - is designed for this use and is super lightweight and centrally managed (from a free appliance)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread