+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, USB Drives on remote desktop in Technical; Afternoon all. I've been pondering this the past few days and would like someone to clarify it for me. On ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

USB Drives on remote desktop

Afternoon all.

I've been pondering this the past few days and would like someone to clarify it for me.

On Remote Desktop, if I plug a usb drive in and it's configured correctly then the drive appears as "Mapped" drive effectively which I can understand.

I thought if I enabled RemoteFX this would then show the usb drive as a drive like on a desktop machine rather then continuing to show as a "mapped" drive, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

Have I misconfigured something or, even with remotefx enabled does a usb drive plugged in continue to show as a "mapped" drive? RemoteFX appears to be enabled on the session as when connecting it is logged with the correct event number in event log. Is there any way to change this?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Afternoon all.

I've been pondering this the past few days and would like someone to clarify it for me.

On Remote Desktop, if I plug a usb drive in and it's configured correctly then the drive appears as "Mapped" drive effectively which I can understand.

I thought if I enabled RemoteFX this would then show the usb drive as a drive like on a desktop machine rather then continuing to show as a "mapped" drive, but this doesn't appear to be the case.

Have I misconfigured something or, even with remotefx enabled does a usb drive plugged in continue to show as a "mapped" drive? RemoteFX appears to be enabled on the session as when connecting it is logged with the correct event number in event log. Is there any way to change this?

Thanks
    Remotefx is a bunch different technologies - the performance "codec" has no relation to the USB redirection (in a technical sense), but in the marketing blurb they seem to to bound together

USB re-direction is primarily aimed at VDI - and not (currently) supported by Microsoft on W2008 session based RDP/RDS.

It is supported if you connect to a virtual machine via RemoteApp on W2008r2

USB re-direction is provided on W2012 as a function of RDS (ie session based - what you were expecting), with or without using RemoteFX - ie the two functions are entirely separate.

(Things may have changed - but when I last investigated this - that was the case...)

You probably are better off using the specific mass storage re-direction over the generic USB re-direction - there will be extra latency in using the generic re-direction - and memory sticks were initially designed to be pretty much "real-time" and can be sensitive to latency, esp over a WAN...

3. Thanks to Axel from:

Cache (25th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks that's all I needed to know!

I'll carry on with the current redirection and people will just have to keep getting used to the way it works, I can do without the hassle of explaining 2012 as well!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread