+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Ncomputing l300 / M300 Comments on Performance in Technical; This is just an message to get some feedback from those of you who have used the Ncomputing L300 and ...

Thank Post

Ncomputing l300 / M300 Comments on Performance

This is just an message to get some feedback from those of you who have used the Ncomputing L300 and M300 terminals along with Vspace on Multipoint 2011.

I currently have four sites and around 140, L300 / M300 terminals in place and have to say that every site has similar problems and issues. Some of the problems have been fixed by implementing the Ncomputing tuning guide, but issues with playing full screen video from BBC iPlayer, Espresso and Youtube are far from being sorted out. One site even has the beta version of Vspace 7 installed, but is still has issues.

Problems are mixed, but common issues are brief blurring of the page with scrolling internet pages in IE 8 or IE9, particularly pages containing lots of pictures and graphics. Use Chrome or Firefox I hear you say - well it happens in them as well although not as bad.

Another issue is the screen will brief blank of the display when moving pictures or graphics in PowerPoint or Publisher. The worst problem is full screen video from BBC iPlayer, Espresso and Youtube.

The response from Ncomputing support has been mixed with many calls logged. Have they been helpful?, well yes, but it has been like pulling teeth to get this far. Most of the installs were done in the summer of 2012, so its a while now.

Take a look at the following links to see examples of the fault, the second video shows two of the installations and was made to show how Multipoint can be managed from a Domain Controller.

Ncomputing performance examples - YouTube

Multipoint Server 2011 Managed Desktops - YouTube

Ncomputing have seen the videos and have passed the spec and installation of the system and servers. They have, on their part, accepted that this is an issue with their equipment and are working on a fix. Have you got or seen similar problems.

The L300 is a brilliant solution for educations and on the whole, for most work, the system works well but there are problems with performance that need to be looked at.

Its worth noting that none of the problem are evident on an RDP connection.

Regards

John

2. Thanks to bewlay51 from:

IWDave (27th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Does it support remotefx ? I tested the built in on a monitor I can't remember the make. But the software was l300. Remotefx didn't work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    Does it support remotefx ? I tested the built in on a monitor I can't remember the make. But the software was l300. Remotefx didn't work.
    Hi - You were possibly using the LG network monitor which had an internal L300 terminal built in. The Ncomputing L300 and M300 use Vspace and make use of a system on a chip (SOC) to handle the screen graphics. They do not make any use of RemoreFX.

Regards,

John

Thank Post
    I have started to deploy the L300 units at my school, we have experienced the issues you (@bewlay51) describe also. We use IE10 on Windows 7, although its not been as bad lately as it has been.

Did you get any solution to your problems that you're happy to share?

Cheers
    Dave

Thank Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of RDP issues.

Looking at the videos - it definatly looks to be a problem with the actual Ncomputing terminals. I was going to suggest trying RDP connections from a couple of different workstations but sounds like you've already done that. Have you tried changing graphics settings on the clients i.e going down to 16 bit colour?

Can you also confirm that the problem happens when you're only using one Ncomputing client on the system (i.e no load on the server/network).

7. Thanks to AButters from:

IWDave (27th January 2014)

Thank Post
    That's something to check I guess (I'll do that when the staff have gone home). I'm hoping to replace the host with a 64-bit install of Windows 7 Enterprise, it's 32-bit at the moment, running on a Intel i5-2320 (3GHz) Windows 7 Enterprise. Originally it was virtualised, but it was becoming too bad to use, so opted for a stand-a-lone.

Thank Post
    We're coming up to replacing our server and pc's, what are your overall thoughts on the performance of the l300's (are the issues just with flash based sites or videos in general?)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread