+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Your VDI adventures - good or bad, please share. in Technical; Has anyone managed to get a VDI based solution working as well as a physical PC in music lab?...

Thank Post
    Has anyone managed to get a VDI based solution working as well as a physical PC in music lab?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I haven't read the full thread, but the thing about audio recording not working is false. I have 4 or 5 clients (businesses) who use digital dictation via a combination of USB redirected devices and also traditional jack plugs. This works with Audacity too although for major requirements (i.e cubase etc) you don't want to be using VDI.

VDI has its place where it suits but as highlighted here its not always the case in all parts of a school, the majority would probably not notice the difference (i.e Admin staff etc) whereas as you say students who need to use videos would.
    Yup so the 3 pound headsets which get pounded and broken regularly get replaced by 15 pound USB headsets? It didn't go down well this end!

The audio redirection in PCoIP is unsupported technically, you have to install a teradici audio driver which we found to be ok but not 100%. The USB audio, as you said, which is the preferred VDI method works well though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Yup so the 3 pound headsets which get pounded and broken regularly get replaced by 15 pound USB headsets? It didn't go down well this end!

The audio redirection in PCoIP is unsupported technically, you have to install a teradici audio driver which we found to be ok but not 100%. The USB audio, as you said, which is the preferred VDI method works well though.

Both will work but as you say requires modification but then with bog standard audio cards that's required in the case of ASIO4All etc. It is a case of the modifications/hacks being slightly different.
    @superatticman I wouldn't even try and bother (depending on what hardware/software they are using though) if its just something like sequel or Audacity then you probably could get it working well.

As I stated VDI has its place and Music labs are not one!!
    Last edited by glennda; 4th March 2013 at 12:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    The bit about video/audio is exactly why it suits business but not so much education.

Students have to watch video as part of lessons, and audio recording is a necessity. If all they did was browse the internet it would be ok, but I am still not convinced about scrolling speed, it just wasn't the same!!

James
    If you're genuinely interested here's a vid I made a couple of years ago on this subject : Multi-Media on RDP Thin client - YouTube
    (W2008 onwards supports recording over RDS)

Thank Post
    Both will work but as you say requires modification but then with bog standard audio cards that's required in the case of ASIO4All etc. It is a case of the modifications/hacks being slightly different.
    @superatticman I wouldn't even try and bother (depending on what hardware/software they are using though) if its just something like sequel or Audacity then you probably could get it working well.

Yeah although in W7 there is a generic ASIO driver available for apps which support it (Cubase 5 and up)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I thought Windows VDI licenses where a part of MDOP? Which is an additional 1-2 on top of the standard Core/Enterprise-CAL packs.
    Nope. There were additional VDI suites that allowed the use of MDOP though.

"Utilize Windows Virtual Desktop Access
    You can use Windows PCs already covered under Software Assurance to access your Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) at no additional cost."

But then if you have software assurance on your licensed machine you have VDA anyway.

Not going to help with thin clients though
    Last edited by DMcCoy; 4th March 2013 at 01:22 PM.

7. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

tmcd35 (4th March 2013)

Thank Post

VDI salesman will no doubt disagree with this!

I would say the difference between audio performance being 'reasonable' on a VDI machine and how it should be on a physical machine is massive.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superatticman View Post
    VDI salesman will no doubt disagree with this!

I would say the difference between audio performance being 'reasonable' on a VDI machine and how it should be on a physical machine is massive.
    I am a VDI Salesman ish

Thank Post
    I am a VDI Salesman ish
    Then I hope you are more honest about its capabilities than the company who sold our solution were!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superatticman View Post
    Then I hope you are more honest about its capabilities than the company who sold our solution were!
    I put VDI where it fits (infact any solution where it fits) rather than what I want to sell!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234