+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Thin Clients and HyperV in Technical; Looking to consider thin clients to resolve some issues with older under performing PCs, currently we have a handful of ...

Thank Post

Thin Clients and HyperV

Looking to consider thin clients to resolve some issues with older under performing PCs, currently we have a handful of windows and linux based igels and I was considering setting them up with an 2008 R2 RDS. How well would RDS working as a hyperv vm?

How well does Ericom play with thin clients?

What distros are worth considering to convert older pcs to thin clients?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,981 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Works fine as far as I can tell. We've been running 4 2003 Terminal Services servers for a bunch of years, now replaced with 2008 R2 and we've got about 65 clients working with them.

However, you have to remember that resources are everything with TS/RDS - we have our RDS servers running from SSDs, split between 2 virtual hosts on 2 physical hosts each with 6 cores assigned, and with 32GB RAM each (the CPUs are E5-2690s).

To convert old PCs, take a look at a post I put up over the last few days. Its a custom build of Debian, with FreeRDP and a Python script to make a simple login box. Requires 1GB space on each client. It works with NLA (network level auth) and RDS Session/Connection broker, meaning they log in once (at the python script) and it'll load balance them to a server without making them login multiple times. I've got it running on machines with 256Mb RAM and it works fine.

HP T5735 Custom Debian install - to allow NLA and Session Broker to work with RDS

3. Thanks to localzuk from:

somerset_tech (15th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Running a Hyper V VM RDS farm of 5 servers here. Bits on my blog about it - and over on Microsoft Schools Blog too, as I did a case study for them.

EDIT: And I re-using a load of old RM Ones with Windows Thin PC on them. NLA and connection broker all run nicely. As above - get your resource allocation right, otherwise it will crawl with lots of users on it.
    Last edited by TheScarfedOne; 15th January 2013 at 10:31 PM.

5. Thanks to TheScarfedOne from:

somerset_tech (15th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Feels like I only just answered a similar post

Either way I opted to do a custom build on our RDS servers running them on bare metal with AMD Fusion APUs (I do need to run a power consumption test on them some day!), SSDs and 8GB of RAM per server.

Anywhos I did a complete write up (hardware build/performance on the end clients) on my website here - Series: Custom RemoteFX RDS Farm « my world of IT

Reasons for going bare metal - just seemed to make sense, after all they are just essentially powerful desktop PCs anyways so might as well treat them as powerful desktop PCs.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the pointers, will give it some thought. @jamesfed just been reading over you blog and tempted to build something simular too, may I ask how much each dual host cost for the hardware?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somerset_tech View Post
    Thanks for the pointers, will give it some thought. @jamesfed just been reading over you blog and tempted to build something simular too, may I ask how much each dual host cost for the hardware?
    Spent £640 per 2 motherboard 2U case (all parts included) - worked it out that I could get that down to about £580 using some of the latest A10 chips.

Thank Post
    As James knows, I've spoke to him, we have recently put in 45 thin clients (Session based) and then 10 through virtual desktops.

We used custom specced server, so they are a higher spec then though he uses.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    As James knows, I've spoke to him, we have recently put in 45 thin clients (Session based) and then 10 through virtual desktops.

We used custom specced server, so they are a higher spec then though he uses.
    mhmmmmmm higher speeccc :P can't wait until March (new budget) so we can get some of the HP t410s out (assuming they work good) with the AMD A10 chips sitting in our servers.

Thank Post
    Just did the latest maths on it

AMD A8-5500 APU, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Vertex 4 SSD, FM2 MiniITX motherboard - £236.06
    PSU - £32.50
    Case (only need the one) - £79

Making £616.12 per 2x mobo in a 2U case with each 2U case supporting 24 users max (very max that is Custom RemoteFX RDS Farm).

I've seen very good pricing on WES7 thin clients of late (sometimes as low as £250 with HP/Edu discounts) which support RemoteFX.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    look at vdi blaster for the machines you want to convert - easy as pie to setuo.

Toby

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread