+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Multipoint Server issues in Technical; We are having some annoying issues with our Multipoint 2011 premium setup and wondered if anyone else had come across ...
    Thank Post

Multipoint Server issues

We are having some annoying issues with our Multipoint 2011 premium setup and wondered if anyone else had come across the same issues. I have a call in with MS PSS, but they are not very quick in responding of late.....

We have 8 Multipoint servers - i7, 8GB RAM, SATA drives. 6 servers have 3 graphics cards and run 8 clients, 2 servers have 2 Graphics cards and run 6 clients. All connect to HP T150 zero clients for keyboards, mouse and audio, the monitors are direct connect to the graphics cards.
    On power up some stations randomly need remapping via the press key Ďxí screen, but that doesnít work I actually need to unplug and reconnect the USB lead on the T150 for them to kick in. One multipoint today needed 4 out of 8 stations remapped this way. To clarify they have all been setup this isnít inital setup! Some users also randomly have no Internet access or IE takes a long time to load.

I have now removed the Graphics cards out of the two six user MPS to see if this setup works better, and have USB connected them for display to the T150. One seems to work great, but the other will not pick up the keyboard and mouse from the T150 on the primary station

All MPS are installed from the same image.

We have an inspection in 4 weeks, and I'm not confident that the two classrooms these are in will be reliable enough to use for staff at this time..........

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Its not that windows is putting said devices into sleep mode and the signal from keyboard/mouse is not waking them up again but unplug/plug back in is?

Check in device manager for the USB hubs and properties - power management.

Thank Post
    That was one of the suggestions from MS, on the MPS with the graphics cards there's definitely no option as there's no drivers installed the T150s run as generic hubs (apparently you need the drivers to enable this option, though on the two with drivers isntalled I still haven't found this option), also bizarrely if I install the driver for the T150 they BSOD as there seems to be some clash with the ATI drivers. The issue is on powering up the MPS first thing in the morning, so they should be waking up anyway! I have looked at all other power options and where possible set them to be always on

Thanks

Thank Post
    I know it sounds a little stupid, but are you installing the drivers in Normal, or Maintenance Mode? I find that sometimes drivers applied in Normal mode, don't seem to associate properly over reboots..

The other thing that I'd check, is how the USB devices are spread over hubs. In the past, there has been a problem with devices being power hungry and pulling more from the root hub than it can handle (most hubs are happy with <500m A per port).

5. Thanks to VeryPC_Tom_M from:

joe90bass (10th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries

RE: Multipoint Server issues

Plus one for power, try hooking them in via a powered hub. We had the slow down on IE but only for admins and it was resolved by setting the mps sessions to share an IP, it seemed to be a network discovery type issue.

I'd also look at more ram, unless they are just using one web page at a time 8gb for 8 clients is a little tight.

7. Thanks to SYNACK from:

joe90bass (11th October 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread