+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Physcial to Virtual Converter problem Dell Vostro 220 in Technical; I have three Dell Vostro 220 desktops which I am trying to convert to virtual machines (for a specific reason ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts

Physcial to Virtual Converter problem Dell Vostro 220

I have three Dell Vostro 220 desktops which I am trying to convert to virtual machines (for a specific reason can't rebuild etc etc).

When P2Ving the machines when booting as VM i'm just getting a STOP 7B error which means inaccessible boot device. Booting startup repair and running bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd is showing now windows installations. I have tried when copying the dell system partition and also without (setting the windows partition to the primary).

Does anybody have any other ideas I can try to convert these? I'm just downloading clonezilla to try that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I have three Dell Vostro 220 desktops which I am trying to convert to virtual machines (for a specific reason can't rebuild etc etc).

When P2Ving the machines when booting as VM i'm just getting a STOP 7B error which means inaccessible boot device. Booting startup repair and running bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd is showing now windows installations. I have tried when copying the dell system partition and also without (setting the windows partition to the primary).

Does anybody have any other ideas I can try to convert these? I'm just downloading clonezilla to try that.
    Do a full scandisk to find and fix any errors before the P2V. Helped on one system that I had issues with.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    Do a full scandisk to find and fix any errors before the P2V. Helped on one system that I had issues with.

Rob
    Thats a good idea - don't know if it will help - from Google it looks like its to do with a custom boot records with having the a recovery partition but i can't seem to fix it!

Thank Post
    We always fully wiped HDD's including the utility partition so doubt I have actualy virtualised one.

Windows "should" be able to re-write it's boot loader without the dell stuff. I probably knew how once....

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    We always fully wiped HDD's including the utility partition so doubt I have actualy virtualised one.

Windows "should" be able to re-write it's boot loader without the dell stuff. I probably knew how once....

Rob
    Tried that too! Still doesn't work - I'm going to get somebody else in the office tomorrow to verify what i was doing with the bootrec and diskpart as I'm not sure if its me being dim or i've missed something. But i know what you mean. I would quite happily wipe them but it complete defeats what I'm trying to do with converting them!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread