+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, Anyone using vSphere for their servers in a school? in Technical; Originally Posted by bossman 1 Sun 7110 SAN 4TB carved up into 2 partitions, Raid 5 for fast read and ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    1 Sun 7110 SAN 4TB carved up into 2 partitions, Raid 5 for fast read and write and Raid 0 for fast read (Hopefully looking to purchase another for failover via mirroring)
    What are you using RAID0 for? Wouldn't touch RAID0 in any environment other than home personally, the negatives far outweigh the positives.

Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    Am currently looking at upgrading to 5.1, but will give it another couple of months to let others find any bugs.
    One bug that caught me out was a bug with Large Receive Offload that causes VM network traffic to go very slowly when upgrading from 4.x to 5.x, see here to disable LRO if this happens to you: http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Disable_LRO hope that helps, no other issues to mention though
    Last edited by mrbios; 20th November 2012 at 08:11 AM.

Thank Post
    We are just starting dow the vm route and have install esxi and vsphere client and got things working but we thought that these products where free but we are getting 60 days warning when we run Vsphere client.

What parts are free to use and what are trial.
    What type of price a re we looking at for a 1 physical server with 2 processers 4 cores each 16gb ram. we have the server it just the software.
    We are looking at running 3-5 vm mainly smoothwall and moodle vms.

THanks in advance
    Stuart

Thank Post
    Another VMware shop here, 3 hosts running the Essentials Plus bundle (make sure you get the academic pricing). Currently on 4.1 but will move to 5.1 once all the early bugs are out the way.

Backed up with Veeam (they do matching Essentials Plus bundle for 3 hosts) on a physical HP DL180 server. Currently on Veeam v5 but once the vSphere 5.1 upgrade gets done it'll be moved to the new v6.5 release.

I prefer VMware to Hyper-V as there's no underlying OS or drivers to worry about and the whole thing fits on an SD card so no need for HDDs in the hosts either. Set it and forget it then enjoy the flexibility of spinning up VMs as and when you want

Thank Post
    VMWare here and we had VMWare at a college I worked at, it's nice and easy but can be expensive. Really easy to get VM's up and running and easy to install and configure... However I do use KVM / oVirt on my Virtual Hosts too, when we get new servers we use oVirt or KVM now instead of VMWare.

Thank Post
    Just migrate from Hyper-V to Vmware and its working pretty well so far I took a stab at setting it up myself and seems to be going ok.

+1 for VMWare here

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rama1712 View Post
    We are just starting dow the vm route and have install esxi and vsphere client and got things working but we thought that these products where free but we are getting 60 days warning when we run Vsphere client.

What type of price a re we looking at for a 1 physical server with 2 processers 4 cores each 16gb ram. we have the server it just the software.

THanks in advance
    Stuart
    if you are running stand alone the only thing you will miss by using the free version is the ability to use tools such as Veeam (apparently it works just Veeam arn't allowed to support it.) Most of the features lacking in the free version are the HA and stuff to do with distributed storeage. I'll dig out the comparisions tomorrow if you want.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post

I prefer VMware to Hyper-V as there's no underlying OS or drivers to worry about and the whole thing fits on an SD card so no need for HDDs in the hosts either. Set it and forget it then enjoy the flexibility of spinning up VMs as and when you want
    Not quite true - VMware does rely on drivers (which can be a pita to get working if they are not in the main release). But with it being based around linux the drives tend to work about 9 million times better then windows (ok slight exaggeration).

In all the ESXI installs I've done the only HP hardware I've had a problem with is an ML350 Gen8. But VMware have a release with Specific HP drivers to get the machine running.

Thank Post
    3 Hosts
    1 Sun 7110 SAN 4TB carved up into 2 partitions, Raid 5 for fast read and write and Raid 0 for fast read (Hopefully looking to purchase another for failover via mirroring)
    1 Hitachi SMS 6TB Data storage

Total in cost 16k
    For the cost of getting a second (and considering your primary san might be showing age) You could probably get two devices running Open-E and have Active-Active ISCSI failover from one to the other. Meaning you can completely take a San offline and nobody will notice. Plus there is no size limit. If you want you could use the 36 bay supermicro chassis

9. Thanks to glennda from:

bossman (20th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Another vote for VMware. Faultless. So much flexibility.
    And another vote for veeam

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    What are you using RAID0 for?
    Web server, Media Streaming etc etc where fast read is required and no writeback needed.

Wouldn't touch RAID0 in any environment other than home personally, the negatives far outweigh the positives.
    which negatives? and which positives? are you talking about please explain?

Please don't make statements when you don't back them up with information regarding what you are talking about.

You may have had issues with Raid0 but have been using it for the past 11 years for the likes of above and have not met with any problems as long as we have a good VM backup its not a problem and as I have stated when we get another SAN to replicate in a mirror we should have total failsafe.

We as a middle sized secondary school cannot afford to lash out vast finances on HW so we have to do the best we can with what we have and I think I have fulfilled that criteris to date.

Only had 5 hours of non managed downtime in 11 years which I feel is not bad for a system which over the years TOC has been less than 250,000 and still going strong.

I would love to spend 100,000 per annum, lucky if I get 15,000 to run all the school systems and toners come out of this for all the ICTsuites.

It has been a labour of love and as this is my first and probably my last job in IT within the educational system I feel I have given the students the very best value for the money I have been given.
    Last edited by bossman; 20th November 2012 at 11:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    For the cost of getting a second (and considering your primary san might be showing age) You could probably get two devices running Open-E and have Active-Active ISCSI failover from one to the other. Meaning you can completely take a San offline and nobody will notice. Plus there is no size limit. If you want you could use the 36 bay supermicro chassis
    7110 SAN is only 3 - 4 years old, it should last at least 10 and as long as it remains cool and maintained well it should.

I have looked at other HW like the SuperMicro chassis and it does look good but when you look at the cost overall and the software + firmware it leaves the same financial footprint as the 7110 which would be approx 6k.

We do have another SAN for our user storage which is an Hitachi SMS100 which has also served us very well indeed for the cost.

Its a little old and archaic but it serves the school well for the moment until we get a new school or I die hehe!

Whatever happens we will get a new system

Thank Post
    which negatives? and which positives? are you talking about please explain?
    I think he means that there's no fault tolerance provided by RAID0, if one drive fails in the array that's the whole array gone. If it's just fast reads you require, RAID5 would prove better from a fault tolerance point of view and you'd only lose the overall capacity of one of the drives and a bit of read performance (assuming your using 3 or more disks in this array).

The only time I've seen RAID0 recommended is on VDI hosts where extremely fast IO is needed and there are multiple hosts for fault tolerance.

Very similar to @gshaw we're a VMware shop with 3 hosts running the Essentials Plus bundle with the Veeam Essentials bundle to match. Very happy with the set up.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rama1712 View Post

THanks in advance
    Stuart

Log back into the vmware website.
    find your esxi licence code
    go to configuration tab on the hypervisor
    under software > Licence Features > edit

Enter the code.

Away you go.

Rob

Thank Post
    Your Unlikely to need 8 cores and 16GB of ram for 5VM's doing that sort of work.

ESXi is limited to 1 CPU with up to 6 cores and 256GB of ram

Disks are limited to 256GB too but you can SW raid them in your OS

Rob

Thank Post
    Where have people bought the VMware Essentials Kit from please

Need to get prices with education

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast