+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, NComputing L300s in Technical; All the posts I have read regarding NComputing L300s are either older, or they mention people testing them and then ...

Thank Post

NComputing L300s

All the posts I have read regarding NComputing L300s are either older, or they mention people testing them and then no real result.

Is anyone actually using L300s? If so on what scale? and what type of performance are you getting out of them?

NComputing mention they have schools using upwards of 400 of them but I haven't been given any details to contact these schools, I have asked and was told they would get back to me. I don't want to purchase 40 of these units without any reference site or feedback from the real world.

Any input is most welcome.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 595 Posts
    Achandler,

We manufacture servers and appliances for use with Multiseat products. I'd be happy to have a chat about your needs in more detail.

What you will need to consider before choosing an endpoint device like the L300 is ;

Scalability
    Operating system running on server
    Applications you want to run on devices
    Budget

This will help qualify;
    Whether the L300 is the multi-seat device for your needs
    The Server/Virtual Server spec
    Virtulisation and OS requirements.

Historically Ncomputing have marketed their product in terms of what is technically possible when a correctly qualified and balanced solution is implemented. They then rely on their partners to qualify and help implement a solution.

I'll PM you my details if you want to talk further about your requirement

Andy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    All the posts I have read regarding NComputing L300s are either older, or they mention people testing them and then no real result.

Is anyone actually using L300s? If so on what scale? and what type of performance are you getting out of them?

NComputing mention they have schools using upwards of 400 of them but I haven't been given any details to contact these schools, I have asked and was told they would get back to me. I don't want to purchase 40 of these units without any reference site or feedback from the real world.

Any input is most welcome.
    We use more than 400 NComputing L300s in an FE College as part of a fleet of 1600 PCs. The supplier is http://www.axesssystems.co.uk/ who we buy the hardware from and if you get in touch Im sure they will provide reference sites.

Generally the L300 is great for the price, obviously the performance is directly related to the hardware you run as the server, so the requirements are very similar to the specs you would need when settiing up an RDS server. As an example, we typically get around 40 users comfortably running on Core i7 with 32gb ram with 3 7200rpm drives in RAID0. Comfortably as in they are much faster than many of our desktop machines.

Video playback on websites is good, not amazing. There is a setting to enable or disable video playback, with it disabled you'll get bad tearing. Enabled, its only really any good in Google Chrome as Internet Explorer tends to behave a bit odd, with some sites the whole screen becomes distorted and unreadable. Solution is to turn off video playback or use Google Chrome as the browser which works great.

USB support is the downfall, although they are sold as being able to support USB storage the reliability is hit and miss, some days it works other days the same USB stick will not work until the server gets rebooted. Isochronous USB devices like Webcams, scanners, etc will not work at all and NComputing are up front about this in their specs.

4. Thanks to mrphil45 from:

IWDave (27th January 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread