+ Post New Thread
Thin Client and Virtual Machines Thread, VMWare licensing and ESX(i) in Technical; Hi all Quick question... I've got a vmware setup at my current place, set up by an ex member of ...

Thank Post

VMWare licensing and ESX(i)

Hi all

Quick question... I've got a vmware setup at my current place, set up by an ex member of staff. I know very little about vmware, so I unsure about what I need to do to add an additonal ESX(i) server.

We have the following: vmware vcenter server standard 4.1.0 and 2 X ESX 4.1 hosts.

I want to add a third host, but have a couple of questions:

- With what I currently have, do I need to change any of the licensing? I'm of the understanding currently that I won't, as vcenter server standard allows for more than two hosts as part of the license?

- Can I install the latest version of ESXi (as opposed to ESX) and add it as part of vCenter, along with the two current ESX hosts and expect full compatibility between them (moving VMs etc)?

Thanks

Thank Post
    I'm no expert either so if someone says different to me... beleive them !

The licensing for hosts works on CPU ( Atleast does for my 4.0 version ) You can check your licenses in Vsphere and it will show the remaining count free.
    You wont be able to manage the 3rd host if you installed version 5 ( Or whatever the latest version is now ) for you to be able to add a version 5 host to your vcenter setup you first have to upgrade vcenter to the same version, e.g. Host version 5 need vcenter version 5 setup and is backward compatible.

edit
    I think the licensing changed for version 5 as well and it's longer on cpu, but on RAM per VM
    Last edited by ihaveaproblem; 21st August 2012 at 05:02 PM.

3. Thanks to ihaveaproblem from:

_Bat_ (21st August 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    If VMWare essentials (or essentials plus) then you are license d for 6 cpus or 3 hosts by normal configurations.

And yes the licensing changed for V5 but for V5.1 supposedly it's changing back. (rumours only but VMWare world is next week)

I think you can manage a V5 host from a V4 vcenter but I would upgrade the vcenter server to V5 which can definitely manage a V4 host (V5 is x64 only).

Although we dont get license training for a VTSP. I'm not 100% sure but will ask one of the VMWare sales Guys totomorrow.

5. Thanks to glennda from:

_Bat_ (22nd August 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I think you can manage a V5 host from a V4 vcenter but I would upgrade the vcenter server to V5 which can definitely manage a V4 host (V5 is x64 only).
    It wouldnt let me
    When I tried to add V5 host to our 4.0 Vcenter it complained about needing to update vcenter to add this host. I guess 4.0 is old now though, maybe 4.1 can accept 5.0 hosts without an upgrade.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveaproblem View Post
    It wouldnt let me
    When I tried to add V5 host to our 4.0 Vcenter it complained about needing to update vcenter to add this host. I guess 4.0 is old now though, maybe 4.1 can accept 5.0 hosts without an upgrade.
    I'm fairly sure I had a client t running this. Maybe it is a 4.1 host. I will check in the office but yes 4.0 is quite old and 5.0 has some good features (storage drs etc)

Thank Post
    I'm fairly sure I had a client t running this. Maybe it is a 4.1 host. I will check in the office but yes 4.0 is quite old and 5.0 has some good features (storage drs etc)
    Would you recommend people upgrade ?
    Our version 4 just works, so we've not bothered upgrading ( + Cost to upgrade ) Anything major that makes the upgrade worth it?

Thank Post
    4 was a big step on from 3.5 , if it's working and vmotion is doing it's job then the only reason I can think for upgrading is to stay in the supported product range and remain eligible for upgrades.

ESXi is a stand alone product.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaveaproblem View Post
    Would you recommend people upgrade ?
    Our version 4 just works, so we've not bothered upgrading ( + Cost to upgrade ) Anything major that makes the upgrade worth it?
    Version 4 works well (most of my customers arrives 4.1 but similar). from 4.1 ESX was dumped in favour of the cut down ESXI (many people still refer tl it as ESX still - even VMWare in some documenstion still.

4.1 to 5 has some major changes which can be viewed in this PDF. http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2011/08/vsphere-50-features.html with a more detailed explanation in this blog. http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2011/08/vsphere-50-features.html

I only done the VTSP at version 5 (which is quite in depth but not as much as VCP which is in pipeline hopefully!).

Many of the new features are around networking, storage etc.

Thank Post
    If VMWare essentials (or essentials plus) then you are license d for 6 cpus or 3 hosts by normal configurations.

And yes the licensing changed for V5 but for V5.1 supposedly it's changing back. (rumours only but VMWare world is next week)

Although we dont get license training for a VTSP. I'm not 100% sure but will ask one of the VMWare sales Guys totomorrow.
    Okay, I've had another look at vCenter licensing. According to that, we have the following:

- vCenter server 4 standard (capacity: 1/assigned: 1)
    - vSphere 4 advanced (1-12 cores per CPU) (capacity: 4 processors: assigned: 4 processors)

So according to this, I need to purchase two more vSphere 4 advanced 1 processor licenses in order to add another host (assuming ESX 4.1)

From looking at our documentation, the two products mentioned above were purchased from two different resellers, so it looks like no bundle was purchased.

Still getting my head around the licensing for this

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_ View Post
    Okay, I've had another look at vCenter licensing. According to that, we have the following:

- vCenter server 4 standard (capacity: 1/assigned: 1)
    - vSphere 4 advanced (1-12 cores per CPU) (capacity: 4 processors: assigned: 4 processors)

So according to this, I need to purchase two more vSphere 4 advanced 1 processor licenses in order to add another host (assuming ESX 4.1)

From looking at our documentation, the two products mentioned above were purchased from two different resellers, so it looks like no bundle was purchased.

Still getting my head around the licensing for this
    It does look like your maxed.

It may be worth speeking to reselers about upgrade paths and moving to the 3host version of VMware.

Rob

Thank Post
    Yup or was Rob says - If you do look to upgrade paths it might be worth waiting to see if VMWare do ditch the VRam Licensing model for 5.1 and upgrade paths to it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread