+ Post New Thread
South West Grid for Learning (SWGfL) Thread, Anyone use Macs on a Windows Domain in Somerset? in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Morning everyone. We are thinking of getting a suite of Macs in our new school and I would like to ...
    Thank Post

Anyone use Macs on a Windows Domain in Somerset?

Morning everyone.

We are thinking of getting a suite of Macs in our new school and I would like to take a look at how they integrate in a windows environment. I want to see the following:
    - how users can log on and whats is the experience like for a user.
    - how do you deal with file storage and accessing their home drives and shared areas.
    - what is the administration like of the macs. We would be getting a Mac server to deal with this.
    - We are going to be using them for our creative arts dept so I would like to see how you deal with large file such as photos and movies.
    - our new school is going to be CC4 so I would like to see how the whole system integrates with that.

I have only every used a mac sporadically before now and I would like to feedback to my collegues on how it all fits together. At the moment, all the information is coming from RM and we would like to see it for ourselves.

Does anyone who works close(ish) to the Bridgwater/Taunton area have a setup that I can come a take a look at for a morning/afternoon? I'm more than willing to supply biscuits/refreshments in exchange for some of your very precious time.

many thanks
    James

Thank Post
    Thanks.

I dont really want to know how to do it, more how it all works together? what are the downsides? how did the other members of staff get on with the Macs, how do the students feel about using them? that kind of thing.

It wont be me setting up the system but we have to tell RM how we want it set up.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    Thanks.

I dont really want to know how to do it, more how it all works together? what are the downsides? how did the other members of staff get on with the Macs, how do the students feel about using them? that kind of thing.

It wont be me setting up the system but we have to tell RM how we want it set up.
    I just deleted the message because I realised it wasn't relevent...

You could PM people from the thread and ask them. I'm guessing RM will just use a default setup for Macs.

CC4 is just a fancy skin on a standard Windows network, so any technical problems are going to be [possibly] unavoidable.

You could also ask in the Mac forum, or just browse around, as it seems a few people have asked similar things. They may not be local to you, but they can give you an idea of what to expect, and how to sort it.

Thank Post
    Oh - so it's wrong to just say "NO" then?

Music would like MACS - sorry "no".
    Art woud like MACS - sorry "no".

Well - if they could come up with a more convincing argument than just "well we would like them"...then I think it might get them a bit further...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread