+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
South West Grid for Learning (SWGfL) Thread, Joomla & SWGfL in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Sorry, Cpanel is a web server control panel, I meant it as a question to the "SWGfL" rather then a ...

Thank Post
    Sorry, Cpanel is a web server control panel, I meant it as a question to the "SWGfL" rather then a school.

2. Thanks to matt40k from:

speckytecky (27th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Sorry, Cpanel is a web server control panel, I meant it as a question to the "SWGfL" rather then a school.
    Thanks.

Question now asked of SWGfL awaiting an answer. However, in the meantime they have responded to my previous request and now tell me that they can provide an Advanced Web Hosting Service for 170 PA which comes with 1GB of space - as mentioned previously.

I'm thinking this should do the job. On the booking form they ask for any special requirements such as PHP on Windows. I'm thinking if I just make them aware it's Joomla on Windows that should do the trick or is there anything else I need to point out? I'm starting from scratch with this one so please forgive my lack of uptake!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Thanks.

Question now asked of SWGfL awaiting an answer. However, in the meantime they have responded to my previous request and now tell me that they can provide an Advanced Web Hosting Service for 170 PA which comes with 1GB of space - as mentioned previously.

I'm thinking this should do the job. On the booking form they ask for any special requirements such as PHP on Windows. I'm thinking if I just make them aware it's Joomla on Windows that should do the trick or is there anything else I need to point out? I'm starting from scratch with this one so please forgive my lack of uptake!
    The advance web hosting as you've already highlighted will give what you need. You then use 'plesk' to setup the mySQL database. It's a bit like cPanel.

Get it setup, get hold of the joomla files (or the EduGeek Projects Files), FTP to your new web space and browse to the webspace that will then install Joomla for you after a few clicks.

Pete

5. Thanks to FragglePete from:

speckytecky (28th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

What do I do next?

OK Folks - I now have the Advance web hosting on a Linux server set up by SWGfL can anyone give me a bit of a walk through please on what I need to do next. I did have some very useful replies in PM's but overzealously tidying up recently inadvertantely deleted them.

Regards - Geoff

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    OK Folks - I now have the Advance web hosting on a Linux server set up by SWGfL can anyone give me a bit of a walk through please on what I need to do next. I did have some very useful replies in PM's but overzealously tidying up recently inadvertantely deleted them.

Regards - Geoff
    How far have you got? You have cpanal or plesk access to web host? FTP access to web space?
    Yes......you'll need to create a database and user for the database>>>>>upload chosen Joomla package to web root>>>preview from within control panel or goto web address>>>>run through joomla install......

8. Thanks to rush_tech from:

speckytecky (13th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As mentioned previously, log into Plesk with the details given to you by SWGfL.

You'll need to setup a MySQL Database. Make a note of the database details, (host, database, username, password, etc).

Upload the Joomla package (or the wonderful EduGeek Joomla Package). It will take some time as there are a lot of files.

Browse to the root of the website with Internet Explorer and follow the on-screen instructions given by the Joomla Web Installer. You'll have to enter the details you noted down about the MySQL. Once setup, you then delete the Installation directory log into the backend and start creating!

Pete

10. Thanks to FragglePete from:

speckytecky (13th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Yes,

Can someone tell me why they aren't using Cpanel? As it's free for education.
    Initially to keep the technologies the same for simple management and making it easier for users to switch OS. PLESK has a Linux and Windows version, until CPanel complete Enkompass, the IIS version of their control panel then it makes sense to use a similar commercial product which works well on both OS's.

12. Thanks to Lewis from:

speckytecky (24th May 2009)

Thank Post

Sorry to bump this but....

Hi

We're looking at Joomla on SWGfL but our hosting package is FP, no SQL etc etc.

Previous post here states they want 170 to 'upgrade' to PHP/MySQL

I don't have 170 but I do have PHP/SQL hosting elsewhere.

I could also get a WAMP or XAMP box running in the school to host internally

My questions are:

1) Any security/safeguarding implications in hosting off-site? (i.e. 'official' objections - there's no sensitive data being held on the Joomla but is there any body, anywhere that does not like hosting this way?)
    2) If I frame the off-site Joomla setup in our SWGfL hosted index.htm file then will I have any problems with filtering or caching?

3) If I host it internally then is it just a case of setting up the box in the school and then telling SWGfL?

Graeme

Edit - just found out SWGfL want 170 per annum so that is definitely out
    Last edited by sakwoya; 26th March 2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Shock at hosting prices

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You might find the free BT / Recipero sites of interest - as a stop gap

One that has had a lot of work put in on it being:

Christ Church C of E Primary School, Hanham | HomePage

Quote Originally Posted by sakwoya View Post
    Hi

We're looking at Joomla on SWGfL but our hosting package is FP, no SQL etc etc.

Previous post here states they want 170 to 'upgrade' to PHP/MySQL

I don't have 170 but I do have PHP/SQL hosting elsewhere.

I could also get a WAMP or XAMP box running in the school to host internally

My questions are:

1) Any security/safeguarding implications in hosting off-site? (i.e. 'official' objections - there's no sensitive data being held on the Joomla but is there any body, anywhere that does not like hosting this way?)
    2) If I frame the off-site Joomla setup in our SWGfL hosted index.htm file then will I have any problems with filtering or caching?

3) If I host it internally then is it just a case of setting up the box in the school and then telling SWGfL?

Graeme

Edit - just found out SWGfL want 170 per annum so that is definitely out

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12