+ Post New Thread
South West Grid for Learning (SWGfL) Thread, SWGfL filtering in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Anyone had trouble with filtering certain sites before? I've turned on the SWGfL "Games-List" filter and so far the kids ...

Thank Post

SWGfL filtering

Anyone had trouble with filtering certain sites before?

I've turned on the SWGfL "Games-List" filter and so far the kids found 1 site that's filtered by it... which is useless!

Anyway, I've been trying to filter The Free Rider 2 Tracks Database, I've racked through loads of variations of it, I even filtered *.fr which took out google france etc... but kids can still get to this site without using anything extra... they just search in google, click it and away they go!?

Any ideas?

I've asked the grid to filter but no idea how long that'll take...

2. Thanks to Lithium from:

speckytecky (18th November 2008)

Thank Post
    There is most likely an allow that is overwriting the deny. Check your allow list for any words that may be included in the URL, like db perhaps?

On the SWGfL system AN ALLOW OVERWRITES A DENY.

Always important to remember!

Thank Post

Give Up

Just give up trying. Seriously. Because we will ALWAYS find ways to get around it, so you're wasting everybody's time by even attempting such things. At very least, games can be downloaded and put onto memory sticks and played directly from the computer - no internet required, no filters involved. Unless you want to disable all CD drives and USB ports on all the computers, this is the first sure fire way to screw you over. There are many other ways to dodge filters or even remove them completely, and you can guarantee that people will never stop trying.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    On the SWGfL system AN ALLOW OVERWRITES A DENY.
    Interesting that SWGfL operate this way. Most systems work the other way around, such as Windows NT and later.

Because we will ALWAYS find ways to get around it
    If that's the case then something has to be done about it. Education establishments do have legal obligations to providing suitable filtering (for obvious reasons). If it's easy to get around, then this could lead to a whole range of problems especially with parents. They wouldn't be too impressed as you can imagine.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joedude View Post
    Just give up trying. Seriously. Because we will ALWAYS find ways to get around it, so you're wasting everybody's time by even attempting such things. At very least, games can be downloaded and put onto memory sticks and played directly from the computer - no internet required, no filters involved. Unless you want to disable all CD drives and USB ports on all the computers, this is the first sure fire way to screw you over. There are many other ways to dodge filters or even remove them completely, and you can guarantee that people will never stop trying.
    Joedude - many schools DO prevent the use of CD/DVD/USB and have much more reliable filters in place - if your school doesn't have that added security you probably feel very fortunate and very clever...

Unfortunately for you, there'll come a time when you look at your GCSE results print out and see just how far inappropriate use of ICT managed to get you....
    When your grades can't even get you an entry-level job in IT (or anything else) you'll be kicking yourself.

Your enthusiasm for IT could be put to much better use - you can get your Flash + Java game fix at home!

7. Thanks to mb2k01 from:

Jiser (7th July 2009)

Thank Post
    Lol I received some reputation for that post with the comment "he's right you know....."
    Maybe Joedude saw the error of his ways?!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread