+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
South West Grid for Learning (SWGfL) Thread, SWGfL Internet connections in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Ideally they should simply turn the unfiltered proxy back on... anyone care to write a template letter to them that ...
    sdc
    Thank Post
    Ideally they should simply turn the unfiltered proxy back on... anyone care to write a template letter to them that we call all print off and send in?

Thank Post
    It might also be worth a call to your LEA ICT Strategy Leader who make the payments to SWGFL on our behalf

Thank Post
    I want my facebook back!! Withdrawl symptons...

Thank Post
    Have just got off the phone with Vikki Gardner at SWGFL:

1. The unfiltered proxy was turned off yesterday at 11. The decision to do so was taken at 5 the day before. This was due to the proxy being exploited in some way after the address was made public. She wasn't going to go any further.

2. As such there is no way they can turn it back on.

3. She regrets that we were not told in advance and also concerned that we were not told this initially by the help desk. I rang yesterday and as far as I was told it was a technical problem they were trying to fix. Only on the second call this morning was I told that it was off and to switch to the staff proxy.

4. I explained that although I had no problem with them tracking usage, the implementation of the system was severely lacking. I was now facing entering 200 user names 1 by 1 into their web interface and telling my staff of the annoying go to login.staffproxy etc. way to get unfiltered access. She was sympathetic and would take my concerns into consideration but there was nothing she could do now.

She was sympathetic through out my rant- but ultimately I was left with the same problem I started with!

5. 5 Thanks to philjones2000:

K.C.Leblanc (6th November 2008), sdc (6th November 2008), steele_uk (6th November 2008), TheScarfedOne (6th November 2008), Thesweeney (6th November 2008)

sdc
    Thank Post
    South West Grid for Learning Trust - SWGfL News
    Just been pointed to this - currently on the phone to SWGfL...

Quote: "Have you noticed some changes to your Internet browsing?"

Yes.... it stopped working...

And from another SWGfL document, quote: "SWGfL Filtering Developments - Putting you in control of your establishment’s Internet filtering"

Except, we've just lost some control...
    Last edited by sdc; 6th November 2008 at 02:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by atfnet View Post
    It was caused by one school who had pupils using the unfiltered feed. Not sure which.

As per usual it's the minority ruling the majority. IFL/SWGfL has done what’s easier for them and not what’s best for EVERYONE in schools. PR has been dire. I phoned SWGfL yesterday morning and their tech support dept didn’t know what was going on!

My job is difficult enough as it is without having to jump through any more hoops! It would have been better for everyone if the school(s) in question added rules to their local routers preventing unfiltered access and then tightened up on security.

Ben

Thank Post
    Would an aceptable way forward be to suggest that the unfiltered proxy is only available to specified IP addresses?

sdc
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Would an aceptable way forward be to suggest that the unfiltered proxy is only available to specified IP addresses?
    That would work very nicely for us.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As I mentioned in my post earlier, the Devon Region Network Managers Meeting is on 3rd December - I suggest we all raise this as an immediate concern. The service from the grid has, to be blunt been terrible over the past year - not only in terms of reliability, but also from feature changes like this with little/no warning. Has everyone recieved the invite yet? If not, I will post it up...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bgarston View Post
    I phoned SWGfL yesterday morning and their tech support dept didn’t know what was going on!

Ben
    Same, here, I'm sure you agree that once you've been lied to by an organisation you consider every piece of information from them in a different light.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know that there were a number of schools looking to move away from the grid last year due to cost increases. I wonder how many are looking at it now?? They need to start treating us like proper clients, the customer service is poor.
    Last edited by TheScarfedOne; 6th November 2008 at 02:47 PM.

Thank Post
    We spent quite a few grand on our own filtering solution which improved life enourmously for staff and students. It logs use, it integrates with AD and it gets regular updates of filtering, spyware and AV from a dedicated team.
    We are only 14 months into the investment and the whole system has been been redundant by this ridiculous decision.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartwilkie View Post
    I know that there were a number of schools looking to move away from the grid last year due to cost increases. I wonder how many are looking at it now?? They need to start treating us like proper clients, the customer service is poor.
    Can schools do that?

I was led to believe that the decision of what ISP schools use was held firmly by the LEA.

I was suprised at how many Dorset LEA staff are now listed as Members of the Trust Management site at SWGFL.

Surely a conflict of interests?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    Same, here, I'm sure you agree that once you've been lied to by an organisation you consider every piece of information from them in a different light.

Totally agree. I really don’t know what SWGfL had to gain by withholding information; I thought we were all on the same side! What incense me more are schools and LA’s actually pay for this “service”.

Thank Post
    typical swgfl. Cant even get on using the staff proxy, is anyone else having trouble?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast