+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
South West Grid for Learning (SWGfL) Thread, SWGfL Internet connections in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); proxy for updates has been around for a while but it is only for windows updates....
    Thank Post
    proxy for updates has been around for a while but it is only for windows updates.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We had fun and games a few weeks back with the mail feed to our Exchange server. Packets were randomly being dropped before reaching the mx at the grid. This has been a very bad year for SWGFL connection reliability. We likewise are also looking at other options. Who's going to the meeting on 3rd Dec in Tiverton?? Another grilling in order for them??

Edit We also had the "no connection" problem when our hub school died, the day it came back on we got the bill! (thankfully they nulled it for this year)

Thank Post
    Has anyone out there succesfully integrated a standard broadband package into there school (for backup purposes)? Or found someone else to use instead of swgfl.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personally, no but it shoudnt be too difficult. At the end of the day, this is how corporates operate? The main concern for us would be meeting the regulations for filtering - but there are suggestions around the site on various solutions.... SmoothWall, Bloxx etc...

Im keen to find out more too - so anyone with experience, or knows someone who has, info please!! How do independant schools get their connection?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As far as I know, contracts that schools and LEAs sign with SWGfL specify that you aren't allowed to install a second, non SWGfL line...

Thank Post
    Tried the staffproxy route- can't see my users being too enamoured with having to go to login.staffproxy and remembering another user name and password to put in. Anyway to automate it?

Is the unfiltered proxy really going away? Seems like they have been talking about that for at least a year or two now?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yep - unfiltered is definately going byebye. We've (my techs) have been using StaffProxy for about 6 months. It has its niggles - more so at the moment! UpdateProxy goes on the blick too everynow and then.

sdc
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by philjones2000 View Post
    can't see my users being too enamoured with having to go to login.staffproxy and remembering another user name and password to put in.
    Agreed...!

I'm intrigued by the suggestion of a contractual restriction to only the SWGfL link - what about the (seemingly very sensible) installation of a backup Internet link via another ISP? Maybe with a Watchguard or similar device to control fail-over?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sdc View Post
    Agreed...!

I'm intrigued by the suggestion of a contractual restriction to only the SWGfL link - what about the (seemingly very sensible) installation of a backup Internet link via another ISP? Maybe with a Watchguard or similar device to control fail-over?
    From what i've been told (and has been mentioned on here a few times), you are allowed a backup link, but that link must be with the SWGfL also.

Thank Post

Incandescent with rage

Hi All,

I think WE ALL need to make it clear the staff proxy and update proxy is not the way to go. The update proxy only has MS and SIMS and virus sites enabled, so any software that has automatic update will now fail, also we have no way of adding sites directly.

I rang SWGFL and Vivki Gardrener (Managed Service Manager) and asked for a list of sites available on the update proxy... still waiting. I was asked for a list of URLs i would like unblocked to allow updating of software, I tried to explain this is a none starter due to the sheer amount of different software.

If the staff proxy system used an inline url proxy username and password
    e.g username.staffproxy.swgfl.org.uk then I could at least update non standard software and do my job more effectively (I do understand this is less secure).

If you are unhappy about the unfiltered proxy and the way it was switched off with no warning (well muttered about two years ago).

Please contact Vivki Gardrener (Managed Service Manager SWGFL)vicki.gardner@swgfl.org.uk or phone 01392 381371

Thanks Andy

11. 3 Thanks to atfnet:

bgarston (6th November 2008), sdc (6th November 2008), TheScarfedOne (6th November 2008)

sdc
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by atfnet View Post
    I think WE ALL need to make it clear the staff proxy and update proxy is not the way to go.

If you are unhappy about the unfiltered proxy and the way it was switched off with no warning (well muttered about two years ago).
    Can we start some form of petition?

Thank Post
    please !!!! :-)

Thank Post

SWGFL have turned off our unfiltered proxy!!!

We have just realised that SWGFL have turned off the unfiltered proxy.

After calling their tech support they told us the new way of accessing the Internet would be by setting users and passwords up on a SWGLF Web App. Yes, thats a big step forward,- forget about AD itntegration, and who wanted policies based upon years groups or classes anyway?

Well fine, but what about all the schools that realised years ago that the SWGLF web filtering was crap and invested into another system,-Dansgaurdian, Bloxx, Websence to name a few. These all have fantastic controls, granular policies, user auditing and scheduling controls. They also require pointing at an unfiltered upstream.

I cannot belive they can just switch something off without consultation. Surely just lookng at the logs would tell them how much traffic was using the unfiltered proxy upstream, and that turing it off without warning would create a backlash?

It seems i am not alone, the tech support guy said he had been on the recieiving end of quite a few irate calls, which is a shame because it certainly would be someone with much less common sense that made such a decision.

Rant over
    Last edited by steele_uk; 6th November 2008 at 12:44 PM.

Thank Post
    It was caused by one school who had pupils using the unfiltered feed. Not sure which.

Thank Post
    Is there no possibility of moving away?

I'm absolutely amazed that the plug was pulled like this with no date given. How am I meant to create 200 staff user names and show them the daft login system with no warning.

Extremely annoyed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast