+ Post New Thread
South West Grid for Learning (SWGfL) Thread, I can see your intranet! in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); This is posted here as swgfl are slow to get this resolved. I've noticed that using the staffproxy on the ...
    Thank Post

I can see your intranet!

This is posted here as swgfl are slow to get this resolved. I've noticed that using the staffproxy on the swgfl I can view intranet webpages from other schools!

Well 2 anyway... they're both on the 10.X range so should be non routable.. but there they are.

Does anyone dare give me an ip address to try?

I made a hideous mistype of an ip address 3 weeks ago and it lead me to a printer... but it wasn't mine? Curious the printer had a direct print option so I uploaded a pdf with my details... 5 minutes later a worried admin gave me a call! At we thought that some horrible error was made at his end but he asked me to try another schools range and bam another printer I don't own...

I'd actually landed on someone else's ruckus AP but don't know who's ...

anyhow give me an ip and ill let you know if I can see you.

if you want to test me the try 10.44.8.7 (you'll get a denied isa if it works) (he couldn't but maybe someone else can)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    This is posted here as swgfl are slow to get this resolved. I've noticed that using the staffproxy on the swgfl I can view intranet webpages from other schools!

Well 2 anyway... they're both on the 10.X range so should be non routable.. but there they are.

Does anyone dare give me an ip address to try?

I made a hideous mistype of an ip address 3 weeks ago and it lead me to a printer... but it wasn't mine? Curious the printer had a direct print option so I uploaded a pdf with my details... 5 minutes later a worried admin gave me a call! At we thought that some horrible error was made at his end but he asked me to try another schools range and bam another printer I don't own...

I'd actually landed on someone else's ruckus AP but don't know who's ...

anyhow give me an ip and ill let you know if I can see you.

if you want to test me the try 10.44.8.7 (you'll get a denied isa if it works) (he couldn't but maybe someone else can)
    Its been like that for years! We moved our internal range away from 10.x to our own range. (if this makes sense)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @chazzy2501 - i would seriously consider fire walling yourself off. If you get get into other peoples devices, they will be able to get into yours!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A school that I worked at in Milton Keynes was like that. It was useful once when one of the techs who did support at primary schools asked me for some help and I could RDP to her machine but I considered it dangerous otherwise and said so. All it takes is one badly secured school to expose the entire school's network!

Thank Post
    Sigh, I haven't got time for that... It does seem one way and only with http and https. RDP and ping do not work as far as I can tell..

Putting myself behind a NAT would do it but I may loose access to other services..

Anyone get to my ISA box yet?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Hmm why haven't they VLAN'ed you all separately I wonder? An Intranet between schools should only be in place if you're either part of a trust, or agree to work closely together etc...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sigh, I haven't got time for that...
    Data security is one of the most important things in IT......

Putting myself behind a NAT would do it but I may loose access to other services..
    No you wouldn't setup properly you wouldn't loose a thing.

Thank Post
    Well I can't get to your server from my end so I'm going to cry

We used to be able to access our local primary school which was also on the SWGfL which was very handy since we support them as well, but when they updated the firewalls 3 years ago we lost that functionality so had to resort to Logmein, and now via VPN connection.

Thank Post
    There was a time that you could see everything from any school that was connected to any of their networks. We would sometimes be able to connect to printers in a completely different school and print out test pages (if we were so inclined) . Not sure if it's still that bad now though as we ditched them a few years back. Shocking setup. That's why we all had to have the IP addresses they assigned to us - you couldn't expand the range without causing a conflict with another school.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Back in 2000 when we SWGfL first launched, we were provided documentation with what each schools IP range would be. Not something that would ever be circulated in this day and age, but was quite handy at the time.

Thank Post
    Interesting...

Steve

Thank Post
    If you think that's bad, stick a trial of Procurve manager plus outside your firewall (if you have one, pretty bad if you don't!) and scan the whole 10.x range. We could pickup any device that would respond with an IP using that on the entire SWGfL network back in 2006. Needless to say we put a stop to that pretty quickly!

No longer with SWGfL (thank ****), and bored / looking for something to do, hence the rather odd bump

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Don't talk to me about this at the moment...DNS and other sorts of fail at the moment. I remember this well...I wonder if it still works at the moment....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread