+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
South West Grid for Learning (SWGfL) Thread, SWGfL Supplied ISP - Speed or not as the case may be. in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Thanks Dave, Only just stumbled upon your reply. We are KS3 special school with 70 students with circa 50 staff. ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Dave, Only just stumbled upon your reply. We are KS3 special school with 70 students with circa 50 staff. We rarely actually have more than 20 students logged on at any given time but the 10 teaching rooms will have teaching staff logged on plus there will be another 10 or so Admin machines on. Looking at a speedtest I did in Dec 2012 we were getting an upload of 10.19 mbps and a download of 9.98 mbps. Now we are getting in the order of upload: 9.26 mbps and download: 37.37 mbps. So in theory a better service.

However, teachers are complaining with increasing volume that when they are running video downloads such as: BBC - Learning Zone Class Clips - Aboriginal wildlife paintings - Art and Design Video at the same time that other teachers are running anything similar there isn't enough bandwidth and the video stalls. In the case of the Wildlife one the art teacher tested it at 0905 hours and all was fine but when she had her class in at 1015 hours it stalled. I suppose one factor is that the teachers are increasingly using video downloads from the likes of the BBC.

Is there a simple answer to resolving this I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post
    How many pupils and workstations do you have? We recommend FTTC for primary schools but never for secondary schools unless they are very small.

Dave

Thank Post
    I doubt this is a bandwidth issue. Do you have any bandwidth graphs available from SWGFL? We offer them as standard.

There is a big bug / issue with youtube videos we've been scratching our head for sometime about thinking it was our Fortinet firewalls traffic interception but it was actually something youtube / driver related. I'm going to do a post on this soon as this effects lots of schools and video stops after saying 20-30 seconds. Is this the same issue? This only affects youtube though, not the BBC.

My view is that FTTC should be absolutely fine for what you are using. it'd be interesting to see if you did a speedtest at the same time as all the staff were using the video. You could have an issue with any RM / SWGFL upstream proxy service too as this could be where the issue lies.

We do layer 2 bridging so we don't get this issue and don't use a proxy setting within IE.

Do let me know if it is the youtube issue or something else though. Happy to help.

Dave

3. Thanks to SchoolsBroadband from:

speckytecky (20th November 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Dave, It's predominantly the BBC the art teacher was having problems with. Like I said when she tested it just after 9 no problems nor again when she showed me at 1130 hours. When she had a classroom full of students though at 1015 hours the darned thing stalled. Will bear your help in mind when we come to look at renewal next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by SchoolsBroadband View Post
    I doubt this is a bandwidth issue. Do you have any bandwidth graphs available from SWGFL? We offer them as standard.

There is a big bug / issue with youtube videos we've been scratching our head for sometime about thinking it was our Fortinet firewalls traffic interception but it was actually something youtube / driver related. I'm going to do a post on this soon as this effects lots of schools and video stops after saying 20-30 seconds. Is this the same issue? This only affects youtube though, not the BBC.

My view is that FTTC should be absolutely fine for what you are using. it'd be interesting to see if you did a speedtest at the same time as all the staff were using the video. You could have an issue with any RM / SWGFL upstream proxy service too as this could be where the issue lies.

We do layer 2 bridging so we don't get this issue and don't use a proxy setting within IE.

Do let me know if it is the youtube issue or something else though. Happy to help.

Dave

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Thanks Dave, It's predominantly the BBC the art teacher was having problems with. Like I said when she tested it just after 9 no problems nor again when she showed me at 1130 hours. When she had a classroom full of students though at 1015 hours the darned thing stalled. Will bear your help in mind when we come to look at renewal next year.
    No problem and happy to help.

Can you get a bandwidth graph from SWGFL? If not can you do SNMP monitoring on the uplink port of your switch to the router?

This will tell you what you're actually doing over your network.

Thanks

Dave

6. Thanks to SchoolsBroadband from:

speckytecky (26th November 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12