+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
South West Grid for Learning (SWGfL) Thread, Provision of Broadband Services from April 2013 - what are you going to do? in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Ah - just realised, the letter i have is from Wiltshire LA your LA is probably continuing funding your contract ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah - just realised, the letter i have is from Wiltshire LA your LA is probably continuing funding your contract - for now?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Mmm can't see anything online about it, unless I'm being blind! Eight schools all on SWGFL Internet will be fun if this happens....

Steve

Thank Post
    Schools in Gloucestershire are considering their options.

We held a meeting where 40 schools attended, as well as 1 prospective ISP and SWGFL. SWGFL sent 4 people to deliver a presentation.

Following this, prices have tumbled and SWGFL are now even offering 12 month deals. The competition amongst the providers has been a good thing, as far as schools are concerned.

We still won't be staying with them though! We're going to EXA Networks as of April.

If anyone would like more information, feel free to PM me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Hi Fellow SWGfL Edugeekers, particularly those in Wiltshire.

I have just seen a letter from the Wiltshire LA giving details of the planned changes to Broadband provision in the SWGfL area effective from 1st of April 2013.

In a nutshell the LA won't be picking up the tab any longer and are giving the choice of where to go.

We have been offered a briefing to outline the LAs suggested way forward. However, the timescale - as ever is tight!

What are other Wiltshire (and presumably other SWGfL area schools where the LA is sidestepping funding this service) planning to do?

In the past I did explore the options and Talk Straight seemed to offer a pretty good package.
    Hi Speckytecky,

FYI Schools Broadband is a trading name of Talk Straight. We've been in touch with a few schools in Wiltshire already. If you'd like us to pop in to say hello do let us know

Thanks

Dave

4. Thanks to SchoolsBroadband from:

speckytecky (15th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Not sure on outright cost - our EES agreement covers us for it. And yes, it's Fortinet based (Fortigate 100D is the appliance). The firewall side of it is good from what we can see, reasonably easy to configure and what-not but as said the spam filtering is too basic for educational use and the web filtering isn't very modular. You can set filtering per IP or per usergroup and changes are instant, but you can't for instance have a room/OU on one filtering level and another on others (useful we found for Youtube access).
    Hi @synaesthesia,

we've something new coming along in the next couple of months that will allow you to do room / ou and in real time as well as MDM and content filtering on ipads / android devices. If you any of you came to BETT you'll have seen what we had to offer.

Watch this space

Dave

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oooh, exciting Unfortunately didn't make it to BETT - travel arrangements, trying to get anything back from the school etc would have proved too difficult so had to sit it out yet another year. Have you any information on that on the internet? And is it something that will come as an upgrade or an optional extra?

If anyone wants an appraisal of SchoolsBroadband/Talk Straight either publicly or privately feel free to drop me a line. We're very happy with them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    We did this a few years ago when our LEA pulled out.

We got our 100mbit line with BT
    We changed our email system over to Live@edu. It was actaully quite easy to migrate as we changed our domain name to a .co.uk at the same time and ran the emails in parrellel during the changeover
    We purchased a smoothwall box for the filtering and firewall.
    We did this, but we already had an onsite exchange server. We actually clustered 2 smoothie boxes and purchased the firewall and filtering as well as the email filter.

The change was incredible, never looking back.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeh I couldn't imagine relying on an LEA for our internet again. Having to ask someone to change a firewall port was ridiculous

It also saved us a fair bit of money. Buying in bulk is not cheaper when it comes to LEA's lol.

Thank Post
    Yeh I couldn't imagine relying on an LEA for our internet again. Having to ask someone to change a firewall port was ridiculous

It also saved us a fair bit of money. Buying in bulk is not cheaper when it comes to LEA's lol.
    Never again having to ring Abingdon to speak to RM, never again going through loops with the change request team! I'm willing to pay BT on the merit of never having to go through that again!

How many IPs did you get from BT?

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsonga View Post
    Never again having to ring Abingdon to speak to RM, never again going through loops with the change request team! I'm willing to pay BT on the merit of never having to go through that again!

How many IPs did you get from BT?
    They offered us 6 but I asked for 12 and they just gave it to us free of charge.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Strangely enough, I feel the same way about having schools contact me about Change Requests ... no more having to explain how stupid it is to do certain things, no more poor documentation, no more having to correct errors on the paperwork and no more having to explain to an incoming NM about the changes a previous one did and didn't tell anyone.

Bliss I tell you, bliss!

12. 4 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

eduabncs (8th February 2013), kmount (9th February 2013), speckytecky (11th February 2013), zag (11th February 2013)

Thank Post
    Our needs were simple so we changed from the SWGFL to a virgin business line 20 meg and a censornet box in house .... backed up by a netgear firewall/router ... saved us lots of 's .... The virgin line came with a free telephone line so we saved there as well !!

14. Thanks to Brpilot99 from:

speckytecky (9th February 2013)

Thank Post
    They offered us 6 but I asked for 12 and they just gave it to us free of charge.
    I think we had 15 in the end. Did your install costs much? We had to have some paths dug up which was a bit of a farse.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsonga View Post
    I think we had 15 in the end. Did your install costs much? We had to have some paths dug up which was a bit of a farse.
    Nope it was free and just replaced an old ISDN line we already had installed.

Thank Post
    We currently have SWGfL's Easymail - one of my big worries is how we migrate the messages and settings to another system - assuming we move away from SWGfL
    RM offer broardband and you can probably keep all your RM EasyMail.

When one of my schools looked in to it and RM offered a very good service for the price.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Afaik RM ate moving easimail to office365 in the future so they may have a migration kit?

19. Thanks to TheScarfedOne from:

speckytecky (15th February 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast