Poll: Do you work during your lunch break?

+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Site Polls Thread, Do you work during your lunch break? in EduGeek Stuff; get it delivererd anyway, but to the top of the road. problem solved....
    In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    get it delivererd anyway, but to the top of the road. problem solved.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've just started my first proper (post-uni) job at a secondary school doing ICT support and although we rarely sit down for the full 30 minute break, we always try to take some time out to sit down and have lunch. Now it's the holidays I actually get a decent amount of time to eat and throughout the day we make the time for a crazy amount of tea. Saying that, I'm predicting that during term time it may turn into a bit of eat while working situation. Oh well, such is life in I.T.

Thank Post
    I always end up doing some kind of work during lunch, although recently I'm trying to get some studying done so an attempt is made to get people to write it down/email it/helpdesk it unless it is of critical importance, doesnt seem to be working though

Some days I get a full half hour, others I dont even see 5 minutes. I've tried the whole having lunch earlier/later than 'normal' school lunch but that doesnt seem to work either! Have been told that I should have lunch in the staffroom rather than in the office as people then wont be able to find me to interrupt me, I see a problem with that though: Office = 3 people, Staffroom > 40 people!!

If I really need a full 30 mins then I can hide in the server room, cant study very well in there with the noise from the servers/switches though

Thank Post
    We used to have lunch together in the staffroom for a hour as we didn't mind being 'on call' during lunch, however we were then told by the head that we had to take staggered lunch as they didn't want our lunches to be interrupted. Taking staggered lunches doesn't prevent interruptions though since people still keep coming up asking things. Due to all this I now go off-site to have my lunch on principle and either go walking in a nice wooded area just up the road if the weather is nice, or sitting in the car (one of the few advantages of being not allowed to park onsite).

Thank Post
    Not allowed to park onsite?! Your kidding me right?

wtf?

Please tell me that the teachers are not allowed as well....or is this another of those things we seem to get at schools where the IT staff (and support staff in general) are treated like the dirt beneath teachers feet....!

Thank Post
    It's just staff/teachers that have joined the school in the last year or so that aren't allowed to park onsite due to the school being short of onsite parking, and apparently staff that have been there for longer than that have it written into their contract that they're allowed to park onsite (although I don't actually have a contract anyway...).

I've been told that it's only a temporary situation, however I'm not sure how much I believe them since they're due to be building more buildings so they will be even less car parking then. It's quite annoying as it means I have to park in a residential street on the opposite side of the road from the school and sometimes it takes ages to cross the main road in the morning .

Thank Post

New poll?

Eh up, was just thinking we've had this poll going for a while now.....

Could we have a new one?

I'm thinking "VLE's" who has one, which do they use?

Cheers

Steve

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 884 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Working through the lunch break?

Doing it now.

Thank Post
    It should be that if you skip your entitled lunch time you get to leave work earlier!, wouldn't that be a logical solution to this? In bigger companies though it could be hard to monitor this!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456