Poll: Do you work during your lunch break?

+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Site Polls Thread, Do you work during your lunch break? in EduGeek Stuff; Im not sure which option to choose. I worked once solidly through my lunchbreak when the whole system went into ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Im not sure which option to choose. I worked once solidly through my lunchbreak when the whole system went into meltdown, but I made sure I left an hour early the next day. I used to take my full lunch hour, leaving the school premises most days for the hour. Twice a week though we played 5 a side at lunch for 45 mins in the gym, and was back in the office before lunch finished, but never did work, usually watched iplayer or checked my personal email for 15 mins until the bell went.

Thank Post
    not anymore. 10 years on I've had enough. I do 8 til 4.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Which is why I am getting a trapdoor fitted just in front of the door, linked to a large button on my desk.. If they knock, I press the button and magically they disappear..

Sned me the plans when you get it made - I might get a lunch break then

Thank Post

lunch

we eat while working alot so dont really have a lunch break. on call all the time really.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    technically I could leave the site and go have it elsewhere but I'd rather just stay in the office and work and eat but since I will go have a cigarette offsite at other times of the day it evens out in the long run.

Thank Post
    I went out for a 10 minute breath of fresh air at 1:20 today for my lunch break, leaning on the fence. One of the lunchtime staff came over and said the head had commented that I wasn't looking active enough. I hate being the only techie in the place! Time to get me some of that swine flu the kids are getting!!

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 880 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On the days we do get to eat we eat 'on the run' and it can be interrupted at any time with an 'urgent' issue which 'must be sorted now'

Thank Post
    Damn...and I thought it was just my team's bad luck on the lunch time rush!
    Does anyone else get told off for bringing back 'fast food' onto the site?
    We have an issue where the teachers and kids don't get moaned at for doing this, but woe betide that the ICT support staff do it! We have been specifically told off for this...what is it with teachers and hating the ICT staff?

Thank Post
    This has turned into one of those ' mines bigger than yours' threads again like the holiday jobs ones.

Personally I have perfectly the grumpy sod persona at lunch and eat at 11:30 when all the teachers are still asleep so never get pestered... a good 20 minutes and back at my desk for some bejewelled action.

Thank Post
    We tried to stagger our lunches here but with a tiny office, the staff member on lunch usually got roped in and harrassed or collared by staff or students walking past and seeing us in the room.

Lunchtime is quiet here anyway most of the time and we only get 30 minutes so we just ignore the phone and door now. If we were off to the shops then nobody would be able to get hold of us so why answer when we are there?

Like someone else said, if you go to the staffroom you are pestered and harrassed. If you go off-site it costs you money when you really just want to sit and chill. You also lose your car park space. If you go outside for a walk the kids insult you.

We are happy now although the shouts from the corridor from teachers do tend to put us off our websites sometimes. I used to keep the door unlocked and explain to the kids and staff we were on lunch which usually resulted in them continue to explain how urgent their problem was and how we could solve it later but listen 5 mins to it now.

Best to just ignore.

Oh and i spoke to my union rep about it at one point when it was becoming quite demanding from the head and they told me that the school has no right whatsoever to expect us to answer anything at lunch. They told me to ignore the lot.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kalten View Post
    ....Does anyone else get told off for bringing back 'fast food' onto the site?...
    Several lifetimes ago I was working at a school not far from an industrial estate. There was a sandwich bar offering delivery and the support staff took to ordering very tasty snacks from there. It did not take long before students, particularly sixth form, started ordering nice little morsels from the same place [the delivery van had corporate colours/contact details plastered all over it] Not long after that started to happen all staff were barred from ordering in any items. Soon after that we heard that the said supplier went out of business.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Not long after that started to happen all staff were barred from ordering in any items.
    What gives an employer the rights to say where staff can and can't eat?

As a complete opposite, I used to work for a company who had a credit account at the local pizza place for staff who were working late, and another former employer had a beer fridge which was plundered at 5pm every Friday. This was obviously before I moved into the education sector :-)

Thank Post
    Damn Nick, that sounds like my sort of place to work!!

Has anyone ever looked at that BBC report on the new Google HQ in Geneva? Looks like a good employer

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    What gives an employer the rights to say where staff can and can't eat?
    I think the issue might have been more to do with the branded litter left scattered around the school after the students had finished eating [sandwich wrappers, pizza boxes etc.] In truth it was not just staff who were not allowed to order from there it was students too.

Perhaps the Head did not like the van coming on site also? But I do agree it is taking things a bit far to say to staff you are allowed to eat from here but not from there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    I think the issue might have been more to do with the branded litter left scattered around the school after the students had finished eating
    Oh okay, so long as it also extended to Coke (r) cans, Walkers (r) crisp packets, Mars (r) bar wrappers and so on...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast