Poll: Do you work during your lunch break?

+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Site Polls Thread, Do you work during your lunch break? in EduGeek Stuff; Absolutley not. It helps that I stagger the lunch times for myself and the two techs, but I don't allow ...
    Thank Post
    Absolutley not. It helps that I stagger the lunch times for myself and the two techs, but I don't allow anyone on lunch to work. There is nothing that important that it can't wait half an hour for A.N. Other person to become available. I spend almost the full hour sat in the staff dining room (eating the generously provided lunch every day). Very occasionally I will go back to the office early, but that is because I have something to do for ME.

It would take some fairly major emergency to change this arrangement.

Thank Post
    Lunch breaks are a bit like school holidays in that you get a room or soemthing like that to yourself where you can undertake some major work, though you sometimes get pupils coming asking if they can do some homework, or print something out. I have discussed this with SLT when they decided we had to take extra days out of our annual leave at Christmas; my point was that I felt it was legitimate to claim overtime for working during our lunch break (a bit of a bargaining chip, I know). The problem is that the phone doesn't stop ringing and pupils don't stop coming to our office just because it's lunchtime. We don't indulge in small talk in the staffroom as we are usually asked about some problem or other, so we don't go there any more. I don't know of anywhere we can go in the school where we won't be disturbed by someone.
    I think the problem is that we're not turning out widgets which can be recycled if faulty, we're supporting pupils who won't always get a second chance, and I should imagine that the vast majority of people who work in schools feel the same way. We all go the extra mile with research in our own (lunch) time to make things a little better. It's a difficult one.
    And now for something which may seem petty, if I were to get into my car and drive away, I'd loose my parking space as we also share our car park with the CLC.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 984 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Generally I don't work in my lunch break, I think its a really bad culture that is sadly increasing in this country. Teachers are pretty good in my schools and only bring emergencies to me during my lunch, generally its a "Sorry your having a lunch, I'll see you later"

I wouldn't disturb anyone with work problems whilst they are having their lunch and expect the same in return. The good thing though, is on the rare occasions I miss lunch I can leave earlier due to flexible working (and a rumbling tummy).

Thank Post
    I insist that my team get their full hour quota whether that is interrupted or not. So.. if they get interupted and have to spend 10 mins fixing a problem they stop in the staff room an additional 10 mins. This way they don't mind having to fix issues as they still get their full hour.

Friday is Pizza, Fish and Chips, KFC day etc so staff tend not to bother us when they see us eating. Ocassionally we work through a lunch time and I let the technicians go home early if they need to setup for an exam or something for the lesson straight after dinner.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Whats a lunch break I dont know what that is or a tea break. I cannot even walk to my car with out being stopped .

Richard
    That's nothing! I've been asked support questions whilst in the toilets!! There is nowhere on site that is safe from the "Oh, hi, sorry to bother you - I meant to write this in the book - but...."

Thank Post
    I get embarassed if someone comes in while im eating, usually because its tuna and it stinks. Do get disturbed quite often though, Annoys the daylight out of me but still the "support" in IT support means i have to help

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lbradley View Post
    the "support" in IT support means i have to help
    The "support" in IT Support does not mean that you have no right to a lunch break - UK employment law would agree. If something dreadfully urgent happens, then yes, go and tend to it, but forgotten passwords can (usually) wait 20 minutes for you to finish.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    The "support" in IT Support does not mean that you have no right to a lunch break - UK employment law would agree. If something dreadfully urgent happens, then yes, go and tend to it, but forgotten passwords can (usually) wait 20 minutes for you to finish.
    i know but i get grouchy when im eating and it usually turns nasty if someone comes in and asks for there password changing. *LIAM HUNGRY!*

Thank Post

Why is "No" restricted by one given reason?

What presumptions are behind suggesting that the only reason why one would never work during one's lunch break is that it's not permitted?

Thank Post
    Well, being a smoker I have to be economical with my lunch time... 45mins of "break" time per day, divied up into 3x 10min cig / coffee breaks (we have to go completely offsite to smoke) and 1x 15min lunch break if I choose to bother with it, otherwise, it's a bonus cig break. Generally if I've been flat out all day and not had chance to take any breaks, then I'll just finish early by the appropriate amount of break-time that I've missed out on. That's all presuming I'm having a normal day. On a distinctly more stressful day, then it'll become 9x 5min cig breaks, with coffee on-the-run so to speak.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andie View Post
    That's nothing! I've been asked support questions whilst in the toilets!! There is nowhere on site that is safe from the "Oh, hi, sorry to bother you - I meant to write this in the book - but...."
    Me too - the perils of being female in an almost all female-teacher school

Thank Post
    I remember when I was teaching that several teachers refused to answer the phone in the staff room during lunch, but they never had a problem bothering the IT team during their lunch.

In my job now lunch break is the time it takes to walk to the fridge and make a cup of coffee!

The only way to get a proper lunch break is a) hide or b) run away!

Thank Post
    Marillion, wild - I thought I was the only one who remembered that band...

Lunch breaks, does walking & talking with your mouth full on the way to a customers desk count as a true break?

Thank Post
    Only get 30 mins for lunch here, we put an aparently invisible sign on the door.

Currently watching House season 4 on DVD during lunch, so we stop for that - something we certainly don't want to be disturbed!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,998 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezebelrocks View Post
    Marillion, wild - I thought I was the only one who remembered that band...

Lunch breaks, does walking & talking with your mouth full on the way to a customers desk count as a true break?
    Remembered! They're still going strong (admittedly Fish went of on a drug fuelled ego trip and left the band) but Steve Hogarth filled his boots since 1989 and they never looked back. The latest album rocked and has been one of the best live gigs I've seen in a long time

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast