Poll: When do you plan to roll Windows 7 out?

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Site Polls Thread, When do you plan to roll Windows 7 out? in EduGeek Stuff; I thought I would ask the question since its coming to a PC near you soon. Post your thoughts here ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries

When do you plan to roll Windows 7 out?

I thought I would ask the question since its coming to a PC near you soon.
    Post your thoughts here after voting.

BTW we should be getting more regular polls on the site hopefully from now on.

Thank Post
    Needs an option for "not considered yet" (or "Have more important things to think about" )

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Added a new option..

Thank Post
    have put summer 2010 but this of course if cash dependant. that summer we plan to roll out cc4 and dont want to scar the staff to much lol.

i will defo be having it on my station tho

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, I want to move from XP to something else next summer, but this is dependant on getting the go ahead from the boss.

My reasoning being that a) XP is EOL, with support now being extended only and b) the new features of 2008 R2 and Windows 7 will make things nicer altogether.

I would've liked to move to Linux, but this is unlikely to happen, due to the usual reasons that schools face.

Thank Post
    Would like to move this Summer since we're planning a new domain based on 2008 R2 anyway, but unfortunately we have a large number of machines that are >5 years old that I won't be able to replace until next Summer at the earliest

Thank Post
    At the moment I can't even consider it until I have an idea of what the year after nexts budget will be as we're still having to commit a large portion towards getting IWB's in every room once thats sorted I hope to carry out a major workstation & server refresh.

I guess it'll be Summer 2010 at the very earliest but most likely Summer 2011.

Thank Post
    At quick glance, I like Windows 7 - it seems like Vista without the resource hunger! On grounds of 1) home-school familiarity, b) support issues and c) being seen to be current, I'd like to roll it out by summer 2011 but there is an enormous financial implication to this (CC4 upgrade plus licences) so that may not happen.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    2011 for me as I and SLT feel that is about right for our school

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Way to make the poll hemishpere specific, I actually had to think

Probably going to 7 at the end of this year during the holidays as Vista is going quite well for us at the moment but we do like to keep up to date. 7 will give us much better remote working ablilities if our ISPs ever manage the IP6 switch. Personally I have already been pushing this with our ISPs here as it will take them ages and the sooner they switch the sooner transparent remote access will be viable.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Way to make the poll hemishpere specific, I actually had to think
    LOL oops never thought, it should be better now.

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Probably going to 7 at the end of this year during the holidays as Vista is going quite well for us at the moment but we do like to keep up to date. 7 will give us much better remote working ablilities if our ISPs ever manage the IP6 switch. Personally I have already been pushing this with our ISPs here as it will take them ages and the sooner they switch the sooner transparent remote access will be viable.
    Vista going well then I take it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    LOL oops never thought, it should be better now.
    I managed, thanks for changing it though.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Vista going well then I take it?
    Yeap, Vista is going fine TBH it is much better at certain things like application distribution, offline files sync, wireless and from a GP managment standpoint is is miles ahead. Little stuff like the scree setup wizzard that automaticlly pops up when teachers connect a projector to a laptop also make you realize how dated XP is. Imaging wise it is fantastic as it does universal images easily and in almost all cases just downloads the nessisary drivers on the fly from windows update.

Yes we had to upgrade the RAM in practically all of our older machiens and there are some that had to be left behind (which were junk anyway) but overall it has worked well. The thing is that most of the core components of how it works, imaging, drivers, GP, etc are pretty much the same as 7 and the more gradual UI shift from Vista to 7 will be easier on the staff anyhow.

For web based stuff we actually have less hassels with Vista over the XP stuff as flash and shockwave seem to be much less prone to crashing out the systems when encountering slow badly coded sites that use it. It has tollerated our new eAsttle testing site much better than the XP version which thanks to practices I can only imagine could freeze up a browser three questions in when the test takers had used up all of the avalible bandwidth to the school and needed more.

I realize that this has turned into a rather long monologue but it gets tiresome seeing the "its because it's Vista wait for 7 posts" when more often than not the feature that they are talking about is praticly identical in Vista. Given the timeing now though if you have not already made the switch to Vista you may as well wait for 7.

13. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

TronXP (18th June 2009), ZeroHour (11th June 2009)

Thank Post

probably as late as possible

probably as late as possible, because hopefully by that time, i might have found a way to setup the local default user profile, and maybe the teachers might have caught up with the new look. ( i'll put it on their laptops first ).
    but you never know i might get 'BSFed' so i might as well work with something that 'works' ( i'e XP) rather than something that comes already 'broken' ( i.e visturd/7).
    Just can't see why we need it really at the moment.

Thank Post

shouldnt there be a option I'm staying with XP till i die :-)

shouldnt there be a option I'm staying with XP till i die :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Summer 2011. Moving To Server 2008 R2 starting October Half Term. That and the new VM infrastructure, SAN should be complete by Summer 2010. This year it's death to WinSuite

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast