Poll: When do you plan to roll Windows 7 out?

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Site Polls Thread, When do you plan to roll Windows 7 out? in EduGeek Stuff; Given the state of Primary school funding I'd hazzard a guess that we're looking at around 2012- 2013 if at ...
    Thank Post
    Given the state of Primary school funding I'd hazzard a guess that we're looking at around 2012- 2013 if at all.

Almost all of my schools are tightening their belts and looking to survive on what they've got, including hardware.

Thank Post
    I think we'll get the odd machine in about 18 months time for people who need more then 4gb ram if SIMs start supporting it. I'm running Vista 64 with everyone else on XP 32.

Thank Post
    Interesting one for us, hardware-wise no problem but issues with new interface needing teaching resources to be rewritten even more than Office 2007 did (and we were one of the first to put that on).

Chances are it'll go out on our admin network first to get people used to it then the year after that look towards the teaching side once it starts getting critical mass with consumers as well. Other problem is that we need a server refresh first as the current SuperMicro-based Evesham (how I wish they were HP!!!) servers can't support Server 2008 due to lack of driver support

Interesting times ahead but it's a monumental shift in terms of how the whole system works from the UI to imaging right down to profiles and GPOs so not one to take lightly that's for sure. Already got one machine in the office running the RC in full view for anyone who looks through the door though

Another interesting one to add to a poll... when you go for 7 will it be the x86 or x64 edition? I'd love it to be x64 but drivers \ software still don't embrace it as well as x86 (laziness maybe?) Would prefer to not have to use the Virtual XP mode if we can help it and I got a funny feeling x86 might stick around until MS find the guts to kill it off once and for all...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alextreadwell View Post
    shouldnt there be a option I'm staying with XP till i die :-)
    I agree.. XP SP3 is working great... why change it and make yourself more work because you want to look cool ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,569 Times in 2,186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    I agree.. XP SP3 is working great... why change it and make yourself more work because you want to look cool ?
    Possibly because the rest of the world is moving foward and if you are still running XP at the end of 2011 or 2012 your computer suites will be like a bad retro themed restraunt with student and new teacher confusion at the funny old looking OS that they only have exposure to at your school.

Technology does continue to move on whether you agree with it or not and at a certain point in the future all of the vagely new home PCs will have Vista/7 and this difference will be much more of a hassel than some are facing with the Office 2003 - 2007 issues. When the purchasable training materials are Vista/7 focused this will also add pressure for an uptake of the new technology on the schools part. If you even stay remotely current on your hardware that will become harder and harder as device drivers for XP become as hard to find for new gear as NDIS dos drivers are now or simply don't exist.

On a plus side this sticking with XP at all costs would lead to teaching a method rather than a program as the chances of encountering it in an external role dwindle but at that point you may as well be using Linux to save yourself the cost and get current security updates that arn't labled as major.

6. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

localzuk (15th June 2009), TronXP (18th June 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My boss and I have/currently testing windows 7, and we both really like it. By the looks of it, we will be going for dual boot with Windows 7 and OpenSuse 11 as soon as Windows 7 is out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,293 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    My boss and I have/currently testing windows 7, and we both really like it. By the looks of it, we will be going for dual boot with Windows 7 and OpenSuse 11 as soon as Windows 7 is out.
    Out of interest what do you use to deploy that setup on each pc?

Thank Post
    We will change when Applications/Devices stop running on XP.

Under XP users click Internet Explorer. Word, Excel etc. They will do exactly the same under Windows 7, i fail to see the justification in the cost of 30 a machine to upgrade to 7.

When we went from Windows 98 to Windows XP the stability of going to NT on the client was justification enough.

XP is still being sold on devices, plenty of life left in it yet, it just works.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    We will change when Applications/Devices stop running on XP.

Under XP users click Internet Explorer. Word, Excel etc. They will do exactly the same under Windows 7, i fail to see the justification in the cost of 30 a machine to upgrade to 7.

When we went from Windows 98 to Windows XP the stability of going to NT on the client was justification enough.

XP is still being sold on devices, plenty of life left in it yet, it just works.
    It just works *now*, but in 2 years time when it is way out of support? Why not prepare your network for the future, rather than having to battle issues in the future due to poor driver support, poor application support etc...

ie. Plan for the future I say.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The problem is XP is now two versions back from current. What are you going to do when a teacher asks - "Can I run xyz on the network" - and the minimum spec is "Vista and above".

I'd sooner have Windows 7 installed and say "sure no problem" than have to say "sorry but that won't run until we upgrade Windows".

By 2011 when we plan to upgrade I'd expect there to be a number of programs to require Vista or above. That's progress for you!

Thank Post
    There is something to be said for getting it in place now so that you have time to test your applications and see which ones don't like Win7, giving you plenty of time to get newer versions or compatible alternatives.

You also need to be aware that continuing to run XP can make the network looked under-funded, poorly-managed or out-of-date - maybe this is more important in the independent schools than in state ones, but appearing current is an important factor. We've over-heard comments from prospective parents regarding CRT monitors in classrooms, and the same will soon enough apply to the OS as well.

Thank Post
    The thing is, if you plan to stick with XP for now, you'll only end up having to do a rush job when XP goes EOL.
    It's far better to at least start to plan now and update your knowledge for Vista/7 instead of sticking heads in the sand just because you may not like some of the changes in Vista/7

Thank Post
    Thought 7 was good, seemed to be less resource hungry on first impressions which is always good.

But having used it... ugh!! It has a dreadful mystery meat menu system. It's awful. Has nobody else noticed how DESPERATELY BAD it is?! They've not even made it reconfigurable so I can't set it how I want it.
    ...and IE 8 is terrible. I don't understand how people can use it!

So I started off with high hopes but quickly scurried back to the comfort and safety of my gnome desktop and Firefox browser

On a positive note though... I did get SIMS working. It worked pretty well too!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 1,264 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim
    Out of interest what do you use to deploy that setup on each pc?
    We will install OpenSuse 11 first, then use it to partition the drive to an equal 50/50 split. Then we will install windows 7 when it is out. Then sysprep and clone 8 HDD's at a time. Does a full clone so that we dont have to worry about how long it will take.

Put them back in the respective PC's, name them all, and job done.

Our PC Naming convention has changed, and our servers are now named after the simpsons now.

Admin Server = Mr Burns
    Curriculum Server = Superintendant Chalmers

But the PC's have the following convention

Room_Table_PC_OS1_OS2

For example

1_1_1_WIN_LIN
    1_1_2_WIN_LIN

With a max of 6pcs per table, it makes life easier in determining which PC is in need of help.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Out of curiosity, have you tested that the Windows 7 Boot Loader doesn't wipe out access to the OpenSuSE partition? If it's predecessor NTLDR is anything to go by...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12