Poll: What is your training budget?

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Site Polls Thread, What is your annual training budget? in EduGeek Stuff; So how much does your school think you are worth investing in? Please be honest and let us know. Please ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries

What is your annual training budget?

So how much does your school think you are worth investing in? Please be honest and let us know. Please also post if you have received little or no training at all. I do intend to go somewhere with this in the future
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 3rd February 2009 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Title spelling

Thank Post
    We don't have a training budget for IT support. I was very lucky last financial year to get the left over funds from BSF (Better schools fund not the building schools!!) and get on Exchange 2007, server 2008 AD, and ITIL courses I also managed to get my tech a Vista course. A very good year for courses, not likely to be repeated though As a rule I think we can usually get a few hundred pounds a year, but it's not guaranteed... We all now how far that goes with IT training!

I'm glad to hear your looking at doing something with this info, when you think of what we're expected to be able to turn our hand to - instantly - we techie types do pull off some amazing feats with little formal training
    Last edited by joe90bass; 3rd February 2009 at 01:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not sure in all honesty. You ask and usually get it.

Thank Post
    Training is overrated - you can just read the manual, search Google or ask on here if you can't figure stuff out yourself.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Training is overrated - you can just read the manual, search Google or ask on here if you can't figure stuff out yourself.

--
    David Hicks
    In reality that's what most of us do, along with build a test system if we're lucky enough to have spare kit. But I do think there's a place for training, worst case is you find out you're doing something right already, or, usually, you find out the software/hardware you're learning about does a lot more than you realised - bonus! Not forgetting the time and frustration saved trying to figure it all out yourself!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ...budget?

Thank Post
    The last formal IT training that i received was in 1999. NT4 Server Core technologies and Netware 4.12 Advanced Administration.

Been making the rest of it up as i go along since.

Thank Post
    In 3 1/2 years of working here I've had 2 days of training and that was on Fronter. I don't think we have a training budget, not for non teaching staff anyway.

Thank Post
    I've asked and asked and asked for training, but with no luck!! I've sourced a training provider, found the course(s) I want to do, negotiated a good price (for an IT course) and then submitted all the details...only to be told that there's not that much funding available!!!
    To rub salt in the wounds I was recently asked to find a training provider for Excel and Access for the IT Teaching staff.....when I passed the quote over there wasn't any complaint and I was asked to book it for them!!!!!

I've now decided to try another route to getting training and have approached our Associate Staff link Governor who seems to be on my side. I'll keep my fingers crossed that she can help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No formal budget as such but just ask if you want to do something.

My school really believes in training so will always try and accommodate.

Thank Post
    Bugger all I would imagine. They wouldn't even let me go to the RM seminar ... couldn't justify spending the money!!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by muppet View Post
    I've asked and asked and asked for training, but with no luck!! I've sourced a training provider, found the course(s) I want to do, negotiated a good price (for an IT course) and then submitted all the details...only to be told that there's not that much funding available!!!
    To rub salt in the wounds I was recently asked to find a training provider for Excel and Access for the IT Teaching staff.....when I passed the quote over there wasn't any complaint and I was asked to book it for them!!!!!

I've now decided to try another route to getting training and have approached our Associate Staff link Governor who seems to be on my side. I'll keep my fingers crossed that she can help.
    A training course for excel and access, i've never heard anything so ridiculous. Don't they teach excel at the local libraries for nowt?!!!

Thank Post
    Every member of staff here (support and teaching) have their own CPD budget of 400, which is their responsibility to manage - everything is generally OK'ed if it fits in with your Performance Management and the whole school development plan.

If you need to attend more extensive training or travelling allowances etc these come from a central CPD pot if necessary which is managed by an assistant headteacher.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    'training budget' er.......

Nope, have no idea what you mean

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    'training budget' er.......

Nope, have no idea what you mean
    I've no idea either. For that matter, I have no access to a budget at all. Despite being the ICT Manager and being here 7 years, I'm still not privvy to that sort of information.

A governor once told me there was training money available, but when I tried to get some the Head was obstructive about it.

Now that Head's gone, but the school's in a much worse financial situation. There's no chance.

A a common theme of my job now is avoiding arguing with people about money I'm not responsible for. It's not a pleasant environment to work in.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast