+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
SIMS Bulk Import Thread, SIMS Bulk Import in Projects:; ah that might be it, we redirect our connect.ini, will give that a try...

Thank Post
    ah that might be it, we redirect our connect.ini, will give that a try

Thank Post
    Thanks for making and distributing the tool, it looks extremely useful.

I am having a problem when running an import of student email addresses. The result comes back as "Import failed" on a test of six users.

The CSV has fields Forename, Surname, Adno, UPN, username, email and I am choosing to match only the Admission No and email fields.

The output looks similar to the screenshot in the manual; the value for gender is repeated in the fields for Gender, Admission Number, Date of birth, Year and Registration, with "Import Failed" as the result.

The error repeated in the log is:
    2012-09-14 09:47:03.4081|Error|System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at SIMS.Entities.EMail.ToXml(XmlDocument document)
    at SIMS.Entities.EMailCollection.ToXml(XmlDocument document)
    at SIMS.Entities.Communication.ToXml()
    at SIMS.Processes.EditStudentBase.populateSaveParamet ers(IDbCommand cmd)
    at SIMS.Processes.EditStudentBase.doSave()
    at Matt40k.SIMSBulkImport.SIMSAPI.SetStudentEmail(Int 32 personid, String emailaddr) in C:\Users\Matt\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\GingerBeard\SIMSBulkImport\SIMSAPI\P upil.cs:line 655
    Any thoughts on what might be wrong?
    Last edited by limawhiskey; 14th September 2012 at 10:24 AM.

Thank Post
    It sounds like it's connected to the database ok, it's picked the student up ok, however the email address field is null. Can you remove any records that has empty email addresses

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply. It's just a small sample of six records to test the import. They all have email addresses.

Thank Post
    Oops. For future reference, don't forget to choose an option for Email Location.

Works quite well once you do

Great tool, thanks again Matt.

6. Thanks to limawhiskey from:

matt40k (25th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi Matt,

A fantastic tool. Recently I have been having problems and it fails, the following in in the log. Does this give a clue to what is wrong?

thanks

2012-11-15 10:01:16.6686|Info|User selected file for import: C:\Program Files\Matt Smith\SIMS Bulk Import Tool\sims.csv
    2012-11-15 10:01:18.6373|Error|System.ArgumentOutOfRangeExcep tion: Index and length must refer to a location within the string.
    Parameter name: length
    at System.String.InternalSubStringWithChecks(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length, Boolean fAlwaysCopy)
    at Matt40k.SIMSBulkImport.NumberAsText.fix(String toFix) in C:\Users\Matt\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\GingerBeard\SIMSBulkImport\NumberAsT ext.cs:line 76
    at Matt40k.SIMSBulkImport.NumberAsText.Fixed(String file) in C:\Users\Matt\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\GingerBeard\SIMSBulkImport\NumberAsT ext.cs:line 47
    2012-11-15 10:01:18.6373|Error|System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\gdb\Local Settings\Temp\tmpE6.tmp' because it is being used by another process.
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
    at Matt40k.SIMSBulkImport.NumberAsText.Fixed(String file) in C:\Users\Matt\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\GingerBeard\SIMSBulkImport\NumberAsT ext.cs:line 56
    at Matt40k.SIMSBulkImport.ImportFromFile.GetCSVFile(S tring pathName1, String fileName1) in C:\Users\Matt\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\GingerBeard\SIMSBulkImport\ImportFro mFile.cs:line 141
    2012-11-15 10:01:18.6373|Error|System.IndexOutOfRangeExceptio n: Cannot find table 0.
    at System.Data.DataTableCollection.get_Item(Int32 index)
    at Matt40k.SIMSBulkImport.Match.GetDataTable() in C:\Users\Matt\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\GingerBeard\SIMSBulkImport\Match.xam l.cs:line 200

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    It's odd that the error lines have location still refering to Matt's C drive.
    The key one looks like the line where it says it cannot access a temporary file tmpE6.tmp for the gdb user, i guess that's you.
    Is it definitely able to access the input file your referencing? Is it maybe open somewhere still?

Thank Post
    @gordonbarclay - does you file have just the email address in it?

Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    It's odd that the error lines have location still refering to Matt's C drive.
    Yer, enjoys of debug mode - gives me exact line it errored on, down side is you now know that I wrote it on a Win7\Vista\Win8 machine logged on as a user called Matt.

Thank Post
    Managed to get it to work, not entirely sure what was wrong, I guess a strange character in the csv file

Thank Post
    Hi

Have used this to import email addresses previously and it worked great. I'm now trying to import serial numbers in to a UDF field and it comes up as import failed every time. If I import the email address at the same time, it brings in the email but fails on the UDF. Have tried almost every combination of fields for matching. Am I missing something really obvious?

Thank Post
    What type is the UDF field in SIMS? Is the serial number just numbers or does it have letters? Is it separated such as 123-12312 ?

Thank Post
    It's just letters and numbers. like this for example: SDMRJG4F7F185. It is a single line text UDF with 100 character limit. I tried a few different things, can't see a way to import in to any other type of UDF as it doesn't pick up our TRUE/FALSE ones in the list to choose from.

Thank Post
    Sorry for the delay, I've replicated it. I've added it to my to-do list which seems to be growing.

Also re: UDF - it's filtered to only single line text, it'll ignore true\false - currently.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Had this app on my todo list for ages, about time I got round to using it! Cheers Matt

16. Thanks to TheScarfedOne from:

matt40k (3rd January 2013)

Thank Post
    @jred - I found a workaround for your issue - SIMS Bulk Import - View Issue #1531: Unable to import UDFs. Just be aware that I've found another issue - where it's making it lower case - SIMS Bulk Import - View Issue #1549: UDF - Case change.

Both will be fixed in the next release.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast