+ Post New Thread
Scripts Thread, Powershell scripting output of get-counter to a csv file on XP and 2k3 in Coding and Web Development; I'm trying to develop a script which will grab performance counters and output the results into a csv file for ...

Thank Post

Question Powershell scripting output of get-counter to a csv file on XP and 2k3

I'm trying to develop a script which will grab performance counters and output the results into a csv file for processing. As the target machines are running XP or server 2k3 export-counter is not available to me. Any tips on how I might achieve this? I'm about as green as it gets when it comes to scripting in powershell, so be gentle. Thanks!

Thank Post
    Ok, so I've got the output going to a csv file using Export-Csv and am now trying to trim off the output I don't need.

Here's my line of script-
    Get-Counter "\Processor(_Total)\% Processor Time" -SampleInterval 1 -MaxSamples 10 | Export-Csv c:\data.csv

The output I'm getting is this-

##-Edit: The formatting of my original post didn't come across. When viewed in Excel the file 1) is the first line, 2) the second, etc. The columns are Readings, Timestamp, and CounterSamples, with the appropriate data filling out the rest of each column.

1) #TYPE Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetCounter.Performan ceCounterSampleSet
    2) Readings Timestamp CounterSamples
    3) \\computer\processor(_total)\% processor time: 5/29/2012 8:59 Microsoft.PowerShell.(etc)
    4) \\computer\processor(_total)\% processor time: 5/29/2012 8:59 Microsoft.PowerShell.(etc)

And so forth. What I'm trying to do now is get just the processor usage number from the first cell. I'm thinking that I can achieve this by piping the output from Get-Counter through a Where-Object on the way to Export-Csv and doing some string manipulation in there as well. I'm just not sure what object I need to get. I've tried Title and Heading to no effect. Any ideas on what object I should be trying to get or a way I can determine the appropriate object? Am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?
    Last edited by calamari; 29th May 2012 at 06:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,900 Times in 2,133 Posts
    I think this should do what you need...

Code:
    Get-Counter -Counter “\Processor(_Total)\% Processor Time” -SampleInterval 1 -MaxSamples 10 | Select -ExpandProperty CounterSamples | Select CookedValue | Sort CookedValue -Descending | Export-CSV -NoTypeInformation C:\Data.csv

4. Thanks to Arthur from:

calamari (29th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Perfect, thanks Arthur!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread