+ Post New Thread
Page 49 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast
Scripts Thread, FITS Compliant Web Based Helpdesk - ** RELEASED ** in Coding and Web Development; Originally Posted by ICTNUT You have access I know I do, but, I'm looking for some feedback from Plexar or ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTNUT View Post
    You have access
    I know I do, but, I'm looking for some feedback from Plexar or Vik or yourself. I posted.

Thank Post
    Sorry mate off to look now

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Okay, i think it's okay to post this here as it's not a BETA issue, and i'm not sure it's a proper issue, so just up for discussion.
    Today was logged in as a normal user (i'll call her Alice) and on log off got this error:
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
    Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.] OPSD.tester.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +2289 System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99 System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50 System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +141 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627
    After which, just to be awkward, i did something i shouldn't. I took an email from the helpdesk, directed at another user (Bob) and clicked on the link at the bottom.
    Lo and behold, i could see the full details of the call and all the history, while it said i was still logged in as Alice. :s

Very strange.

So i log off again, no problems this time. Clear cookies, then hit the magic button on Bob's email, and when asked to login, login in as Alice. I can see all the gory details of Bob's stupidity.

Can someone pls confirm it's not just an issue with me, Alice and Bob. Feel free to use Sue and Rita as your test cases...and Bob too if you must.

Edit: Rita just updated Sue's ticket
    Last edited by vikpaw; 15th March 2011 at 07:10 AM. Reason: addition

Thank Post
    I'm not too sure I understand Vik.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Vik: When you logged off had you first clicked on new incident?

If you are in the new incident screen and you hit logoff you will get this error.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Okay, i think it's okay to post this here as it's not a BETA issue, and i'm not sure it's a proper issue, so just up for discussion.
    Today was logged in as a normal user (i'll call her Alice) and on log off got this error:

After which, just to be awkward, i did something i shouldn't. I took an email from the helpdesk, directed at another user (Bob) and clicked on the link at the bottom.
    Lo and behold, i could see the full details of the call and all the history, while it said i was still logged in as Alice. :s

Very strange.

So i log off again, no problems this time. Clear cookies, then hit the magic button on Bob's email, and when asked to login, login in as Alice. I can see all the gory details of Bob's stupidity.

Can someone pls confirm it's not just an issue with me, Alice and Bob. Feel free to use Sue and Rita as your test cases...and Bob too if you must.

Edit: Rita just updated Sue's ticket
    Logoff error - This only happens if you logoff while on the new incident screen, this is a known issue and has been tracked.

Accessing other people incidents (crafted URL access or by clicking on a link in an email) - After having done some testing this morning I can confirm this is an issue and will be resolved for the April 2011 release.
    Last edited by ICTNUT; 15th March 2011 at 10:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    I'm not too sure I understand Vik.
    Sorry i was in a funny , physicist's mood this morning, and we love sending messages from Alice to Bob, preferably at 0.5 the speed of light!

I double checked the case and logged on tracker this morning along with a squillion (ish) other minor tweaks. Apologies if they are duplicated.

There were just the two issues, logging off after clicking new incident, causes error. And, user A can see user B's ticket, which is something i found on our my little php helpdesk too. It's no biggie, but if a clever tinkerer chose to fiddle then they could do so.

Thank Post
    Thinking out loud here.

With regards to logging incidents. What do people think about the idea of adding in an extra step which queries the KB for possible solutions BEFORE they get to submit the incident?

I'm thinking Joe Bloggs go to New Incident and enters:

"I am unable to print from the printer in my office. It says paper jam."

Joe Bloggs then hits a button to add his incident but is first displayed a screen with possible solutions:

"We have searched the knowledgebase and found the following possible solutions. If none of these solutions are relevant then please click submit below to send your request."

The idea being that users use self help where possible.

Obviously can be worded better but you get the idea?

Thank Post
    That's what i thought OPSD did. I'm sure that's what MLH used to do, so it's like when you want to create a new thread in EG it shows you similar titled threads to prevent duplication.

The feature i requested on tracker though was more to push people to get to the homepage first where announcements are pushed at them, and also they can see their current call numbers and common KBs.

The smart search is a good idea and if it isn't on the cards, should be ...

Thank Post
    I don't think it does it already. Unless I am missing it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    That's what i thought OPSD did. I'm sure that's what MLH used to do, so it's like when you want to create a new thread in EG it shows you similar titled threads to prevent duplication.

The feature i requested on tracker though was more to push people to get to the homepage first where announcements are pushed at them, and also they can see their current call numbers and common KBs.

The smart search is a good idea and if it isn't on the cards, should be ...
    Vik you are indeed correct that this is what MLH used to do.

It was thought about but as so few schools used the kb facility it was not placed as a priority for inclusion in OPSD. This is being added To the drop box so the framework will be there already.

Thank Post
    No it doesn't but i thought it should do. i'm pretty sure it's mentioned on page 1 of this thread.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    I liked that functionality in MLH but I'd put money on the fact that I doubt anyone ever actually read anythign that was suggested.

I think some work needs doing on the KB as I use it a lot for support.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I liked that functionality in MLH but I'd put money on the fact that I doubt anyone ever actually read anythign that was suggested.

I think some work needs doing on the KB as I use it a lot for support.

Ben
    Suggestions??

Thank Post
    If they don't read it it's their loss. I would rather have it there, so when they complain about something not working or taking too long to fix, they can be shown that it is possible to help themselves.

I've supported MLH from the beginning and we ordered it a year or two before even looking at implementing as i just wanted to tick that box. Sorry if i'm a bit behind on some of the developments, though i've tried to follow the thread as best i can over that time.

I think the KB area is great. Admittedly i've only got 1 at the moment, i'm hoping to fill it with lots of little How-To articles. I'm also looking at making some mini video clips for simple tasks such as adding a printer, ejecting a memory stick, changing language, default date, etc . Not sure how to deliver those, as KB or a custom web page of my own.

Searching the KB is great, however a user probably wont do that, if they get a live smart search, firstly of their own past calls, and then secondly of any KB articles with the right tags..? maybe if you tagged a KB with the name of the queue that the call would potential go to...

This would be useful. Even if not for the end use, it's easier for an unskilled technician or even a sixth form helper / apprentice to use our previous catalog of help and pass the info on without having to do much of the troubleshooting.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 15th March 2011 at 12:50 PM. Reason: dire grammatical errors of the fifth kind.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread