+ Post New Thread
Page 40 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast
Scripts Thread, FITS Compliant Web Based Helpdesk - ** RELEASED ** in Coding and Web Development; Originally Posted by dfergusson Few issues I’ve run into. Users under User Management keep reporting An Error Has occurred. And ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dfergusson View Post
    Few issues I’ve run into.

Users under User Management keep reporting An Error Has occurred.

And no new users can use the helpdesk, we use LDAP, all existing users can log in ok.
    If you goto the event viewer on the web server under the application log you will see some errors and warnings produced by OPSD, can you PM me the error you are getting (may contain sensative information)

Also is this a clean install? I note you are still using MLH, did you try to use the exisiting database and upgrade it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Cheers Oz.

I've just done an upgrade to my install, and put on Friday's release. All is fine. Email poller saves settings, but wont connect as yet but i'm not sure why, it says it's either a bad connection or timing out.

I've just added 2 new users via csv and they work, so perhaps dfergusson's issue was to do with malformed users in an update file...?

Would still like to be able to delete users, especially in this testing phase. I'm running out of users for who i know the password

I still have that script error on users config pages, to do with AJAX toolkit. i've done a complete replace on files, from the friday release. Doesn't that mean the error is now in the db??

Rather than deleting the old files, i copy over - that's correct right? I presume that's why web.config is not part of the files now, so it doesn't get overwritten. Just thinking i might have an old defunct file that is being picked up somehow.

Also, can i just check, the files are not written to in usage are they? So in terms of backups, i just need a .bak file from the db, if i'm keeping a backup of all files i download on a different server...?

thanks.
    Email Polling what are you connecting to?

Yes I have tested the bulk upload and manual creation of users on the demo site and these work fine so i agree I think it is possible that dfergusson may has some unique issue.

Deleteing user has always been an issue do to the way that incidents are linked to users, I will add in for Mondays update that if a user does not have any incidents logged for them then you can simply remove them, however if they do then you can override this and remove all the incidents also, effectivley clearing the user and all associated data from the database.

This would however affect any metrics produced by reports.

As far as the script error goes are you testing on the server itself? If so do you have IE Security turned on? also it is worth adding the helpdesk site to the trusted sites list in IE too.

Firefox does not suffer from this, but it is worth it if you can to test with firefox to see if the error is still there.

Yes copying the files over making sure you overwrite them should be sufficient however I tend to do the following when I upgrade:

Backup the database, a .bak file is fine for this.

Backup all the helpdesk files to another directory then remove all files and folders apart from the App_Data folder, leave that there.

Then copy in all the upgrade files making sure you overwrite the app_data folder when prompted.

This way you can be sure you have the latest clean files.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by ICTNUT; 20th February 2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: double quote remove one

3. Thanks to ICTNUT from:

vikpaw (20th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    I'm trying to connect to our Exchange server:

Socket connection has timed out. InnerException message follows: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 172.16.11.2:110
    I've used pop in Outlook, so it should work. Any more tips?

No user error i can see on firefox, and it works quicker So is there still an issue with default queues when bulk adding users? Should i wait a bit? I am testing on my desktop, XP, IE8, but do some things on the server too.

Only other minor thing i can see is that on user management you can't sort ascending, but you can in other areas.

Thank Post
    I'm trying to connect to our Exchange server:

I've used pop in Outlook, so it should work. Any more tips?

No user error i can see on firefox, and it works quicker So is there still an issue with default queues when bulk adding users? Should i wait a bit? I am testing on my desktop, XP, IE8, but do some things on the server too.

Only other minor thing i can see is that on user management you can't sort ascending, but you can in other areas.
    OK as far as exchange is concerned is the server allowed to connect to the exchange server, are there any firewalls in place namely on the helpdesk server that maybe stopping outbound traffic on port 110?

Yes FireFox is much quicker than IE7+, and our initial testing of IE9 is WOW is it slow......

There is no issue with bulk adding users as we did include the default queue link so by default any users added will have access to all queues.

I will get sorting sorted for you for the Monday update.
    Last edited by ICTNUT; 20th February 2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    Will there be a fix for bug tracker reference 0000273? Also the issue I logged on the OPSD support site?

Really do appreciate all the work you are putting in to OPSD Ozan and all the one to one help you gave me last week. Excellent service and for anyone who is thinking about making the move to OPSD, go for it!

7. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

ICTNUT (20th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Will there be a fix for bug tracker reference 0000273? Also the issue I logged on the OPSD support site?

Really do appreciate all the work you are putting in to OPSD Ozan and all the one to one help you gave me last week. Excellent service and for anyone who is thinking about making the move to OPSD, go for it!
    Yes working on it today

Thank Post
    OK v2.0.4067.36889 has been closed and is being tested for release tomorrow, this includes the following fixes:

1 - If you remove a queue that is no longer required and a member of tech staff is linked to this queue (primary queue) this will break access to the users section of the admin area. A check has now been icluded and in order to remove a queue not only can it not have any incidents logged against it but no staff can be linked. If it is found that staff are linked a new linked staff icon is diplayed to warn you.

2 - There was an issue found with the email poller (thanks to edu-IT fo this) where the poller would fail if the given conditions were right. This has been fixed.

3 - Editing asset locations in the staff area you cause a window to open with no content, this has been fixed.

4 - Emails and dropbox were not picking up if the helpdesk was setup has a virtual directory i.e. if the helpdesk was at http://localhost/OPSD/ then it would only pickup http://localhost/. This has been fixed, thanks again to edu-IT for finding this one.

5 - Accessing the Resources day view would cause an error, this has been resolved and fixed, thanks to plexer for the heads up.

6 - Added the ability to remove users from the helpdesk database. Firstly you cannot remove an admin PLEASE NOTE: Use the user delete option with extreme care. Deleting a user will remove all traces of that user from the database, this includes: all incidents, all audit entries for incidents linked to the user, all notes for incidents linked to the user, all tasks for staff that are linked to incidents linked to the user, the user itself will be removed.

Always perform a database backup prior to removing anything from the database.

We will be testing live at a couple of schools tomorrow morning (21/02/2011) and provided this is OK will release to the masses for lunchtime. Our own demo and support sites have already been upgraded.

Thanks for your patience and continued feedback.

Thank Post
    2 - There was an issue found with the email poller (thanks to edu-IT fo this) where the poller would fail if the given conditions were right. This has been fixed.
    What were the conditions? I'm curious!

Will this require a new poller download then?

Thanks a lot Ozan! :-)
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 20th February 2011 at 08:52 PM.

Thank Post
    What were the conditions? I'm curious!

Will this require a new poller download then?
    If there was no from email address, if the email address was over 255 characters, if the display email address was different to the actual from email address, if the subject line had more than one ] (right hand square bracket), then the poller would fail.

The poller was tested linking to a gmail account with 600 emails in there some of which had the above issues, all were polled in the than 90 seconds with no failures.
    Last edited by ICTNUT; 20th February 2011 at 09:04 PM.

Thank Post
    I see! Not sure how my email fell in to any of those conditions though. Can only think that the beginning of my email is capitalised or something by the server. I'll try again after updating!

Did you try sending a message to the software from the helpdesk email/reply to email? Were these pulled in to the log?

Quote Originally Posted by ICTNUT View Post
    If there was no from email address, if the email address was over 255 characters, if the display email address was different to the actual from email address, if the subject line had more than one ] (right hand square bracket), then the poller would fail.

The poller was test linking to a gmail account with 600 emails in there some of which had the above issues, all were polled in the than 90 seconds with no failures.

Thank Post
    .....Did you try sending a message to the software from the helpdesk email/reply to email? Were these pulled in to the log?
    I would love this feature as they always reply to the email, or i'd have to remove the update details from the email so they have to log in to see the update.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Ok guys I hold my hands up on this one related to adding users to the helpdesk, you are all indeed quite correct if a user in ad hasn't had an account created in the helpdesk they can't login.

I must have a few people that can't login in then because since my initial install of mlh I've never knowingly added any one to the helpdesk.

Ben

Thank Post
    Yep, you know those annoying people that turn up on friday afternoon to say "This hasn't worked for 3 days, i've never had service like this before, it's affecting teaching & learning in the school, will you please have it ready for Monday" and you have no clue what they're talking about. That's them

Are you using OPSD Ben, or still on MLH?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Vik: OPSD strangely enough.

Ben

Thank Post
    I would love this feature as they always reply to the email, or i'd have to remove the update details from the email so they have to log in to see the update.
    I'm not sure I understand you?

When an email is sent out the reply to email address will be that which is picked up by the email poller. You set this within the settings. Therefore the replies should automatically be fed back into the relevant ticket in the helpdesk.

What I found was that if for some reason you sent an email from the helpdesk email, to the helpdesk email, it got deleted but didn't get logged. To be fair the only way this could happen is if you have the helpdesk email address in your email client and forget to change the send from email. It's very specific conditions and chances are it won't affect many people.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread