+ Post New Thread
Page 39 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 585 of 1237
Scripts Thread, FITS Compliant Web Based Helpdesk - ** RELEASED ** in Coding and Web Development; You don't need to manually create an account on the helpdesk for users if you are using ldap. Ben...
  1. #571

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,688
    Thank Post
    663
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,457 Posts
    Rep Power
    423
    You don't need to manually create an account on the helpdesk for users if you are using ldap.

    Ben

  2. #572

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,157
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 623 Times in 569 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    Yes you do Ben? I had this conversation with Ozan recently. The user needs to exist within the helpdesk (username and email address) but you don't need to specify a password as it'll use their AD password to log them in.

    Where have the pretty graphs gone?
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 18th February 2011 at 06:12 PM.

  3. #573

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    45
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Don't think I am insulting your intelligance here, because I made the same mistake, but you have created accounts for these new users with a username that matches their network username and an email address which belongs to their account? You'd do this from the admin site and then users. The very page that is causing you the error!

    Might be worth noting that the Users page errors on the demo site too.
    I think my problems gota be linked, even if I wanted to create new users manually I can't because when i click on users tab under user management the page displayed tell me An Error Has occurred.

    Will look into this on Monday during half term be lot quieter can spend more time looking at it.
    Last edited by dfergusson; 18th February 2011 at 06:25 PM.

  4. #574

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,157
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 623 Times in 569 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    But with LDAP you don’t need to create account they are added automatically.
    Not what I was told, as I said above.

  5. #575

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    45
    Thank Post
    12
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Not what I was told, as I said above.
    Been a while since we used this software, we still using my little helpdesk due to NTLM function, when we first setup and new user entered their active directory username and password they should be presented creating a new user dialog and that create a new user in OPSD, not sure if that changed recently but it same function that works with moodle and LDAP.

    Update look go so far and hoping this be time to finally move off my little helpdesk.

  6. #576

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,157
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 623 Times in 569 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by dfergusson View Post
    Been a while since we used this software, we still using my little helpdesk due to NTLM function, when we first setup and new user entered their active directory username and password they should be presented creating a new user dialog and that create a new user in OPSD, not sure if that changed recently but it same function that works with moodle and LDAP.

    Update look go so far and hoping this be time to finally move off my little helpdesk.
    It's definitely changed from MLH days then. I used to use MLH and know what you mean.

    You're right the latest update is good! Just wondering where the pretty graphs are though.

  7. #577

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,688
    Thank Post
    663
    Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,457 Posts
    Rep Power
    423
    I must be getting old then, you need to create/allocate an initial helpdesk admin but having to create a uaername for each ldap us er would be madness.

    Ben

  8. #578

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,157
    Thank Post
    403
    Thanked 623 Times in 569 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I must be getting old then, you need to create/allocate an initial helpdesk admin but having to create a uaername for each ldap us er would be madness.

    Ben
    Try logging in to an account that exists in AD but doesn't exist in the helpdesk. OPSD doesn't automatically create an account within the software for users it finds.
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 18th February 2011 at 07:11 PM.

  9. #579

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    6,008
    Thank Post
    680
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Rep Power
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Yes you do Ben? I had this conversation with Ozan recently. The user needs to exist within the helpdesk (username and email address) but you don't need to specify a password as it'll use their AD password to log them in.

    Where have the pretty graphs gone?
    That's how I do it. The instructions for setting it up require you to create the first admin account that way cos after you can't login with any previous admins. All subsequent users need precreating, there's a KB on how to export a csv from AD. I'll create all mine before upgrading if it's a problem.
    I had an issue getting into user management on a previous beta, maybe it's linked.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 18th February 2011 at 08:24 PM.

  10. #580

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    6,008
    Thank Post
    680
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Rep Power
    353
    In the words of Sam Beckett: "Oh Boy!".

    So i'm on Beta v2.0.4063.32169 , and in light of the problems that dfergusson had, i'm thinking i'll upload a load of users by csv before doing the upgrade.

    So i make my csv out of data in sims, upload it and get successful response. Full list of users added, and it tells me they have to go and reset password before they can log in, even though i'm using ldap. Fair enough i think, maybe it will just work.

    Go to another machine and log on as another user. Can't. Go to reset page and get weird error. Try to log in as me, and can't. Ok, maybe it's because i'm already logged in. Log in as administrator, okay, that works. Try to log a call, and attach png of error. Get message the file type must be of type " " - It's blank. Besides that, i'm uploading a .png which is already in my allowed list, both .png and .PNG so just to be sure, i rename the file to .txt as i know that's allowed by default. Same issue.

    Hmm.
    Go back to my machine and look at user lists. There are no users listed either active or inactive. Hmm, but if i got to bulk upload page, i still see a massive list or reports saying xxx user added. Ok so that worked. Hang on, i've included myself and the other techs in that list. DOH! Now what?

    Log off and back on. Nope, i can't log in now Luckily there is a backup admin account. Log in as him, and all users are now in active users list. Go to edit my user and delete, but there's no delete button. ARGH!

    Now what, it's created users that have the same login name and email as my original group of staff / admins. That shouldn't be possible should it?

    I'm getting crazy errors on the users page now, that weren't there until i clicked on something.
    19-02-2011-14.00.48.jpg
    That looks scary.

    It gets worse. If i go to log a call for another user, all names are being listed twice. Yikes.
    Really not sure what to do. Not backing stuff up yet, so got no rollback, short of most recent snapshot which was before i started setting up all my SLAs and Queues, and extra staff accounts.

    Think that's my only choice, short of hacking in the users db, but that could royally fluff it up.

    Anyone else having problems. I'm thinking maybe to upgrade to the most recent release, as it can't get any worse...?

  11. #581
    ICTNUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hereford
    Posts
    1,419
    Thank Post
    196
    Thanked 249 Times in 122 Posts
    Rep Power
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    In the words of Sam Beckett: "Oh Boy!".

    So i'm on Beta v2.0.4063.32169 , and in light of the problems that dfergusson had, i'm thinking i'll upload a load of users by csv before doing the upgrade.

    So i make my csv out of data in sims, upload it and get successful response. Full list of users added, and it tells me they have to go and reset password before they can log in, even though i'm using ldap. Fair enough i think, maybe it will just work.

    Go to another machine and log on as another user. Can't. Go to reset page and get weird error. Try to log in as me, and can't. Ok, maybe it's because i'm already logged in. Log in as administrator, okay, that works. Try to log a call, and attach png of error. Get message the file type must be of type " " - It's blank. Besides that, i'm uploading a .png which is already in my allowed list, both .png and .PNG so just to be sure, i rename the file to .txt as i know that's allowed by default. Same issue.

    Hmm.
    Go back to my machine and look at user lists. There are no users listed either active or inactive. Hmm, but if i got to bulk upload page, i still see a massive list or reports saying xxx user added. Ok so that worked. Hang on, i've included myself and the other techs in that list. DOH! Now what?

    Log off and back on. Nope, i can't log in now Luckily there is a backup admin account. Log in as him, and all users are now in active users list. Go to edit my user and delete, but there's no delete button. ARGH!

    Now what, it's created users that have the same login name and email as my original group of staff / admins. That shouldn't be possible should it?

    I'm getting crazy errors on the users page now, that weren't there until i clicked on something.
    19-02-2011-14.00.48.jpg
    That looks scary.

    It gets worse. If i go to log a call for another user, all names are being listed twice. Yikes.
    Really not sure what to do. Not backing stuff up yet, so got no rollback, short of most recent snapshot which was before i started setting up all my SLAs and Queues, and extra staff accounts.

    Think that's my only choice, short of hacking in the users db, but that could royally fluff it up.

    Anyone else having problems. I'm thinking maybe to upgrade to the most recent release, as it can't get any worse...?
    Vik, that error your are showing would look like you have a mixture of files, some old and some new. This is error is produced as some opf the components have been upgraded since the last full release and it does not look like these have been fully upgraded when you copied the files over.

    As for not backing up prior to an upgrade, well I say it over and over make sure you backup it all up first.

    All others that are having issues accessing the users area I have found 2 issues, 1) if you remove a department that is no longer required but a user is still linked to it, it has ben set as thier primary queue, this will break the users area. 2) When adding new users either one by one or by using the bulk upload tool the default queue is not being set and this then breaks the user area.

    The good new is that there will be a hotfix for this ready for Monday morning, we are working through the weekend to resolve this.

  12. #582
    ICTNUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hereford
    Posts
    1,419
    Thank Post
    196
    Thanked 249 Times in 122 Posts
    Rep Power
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Try logging in to an account that exists in AD but doesn't exist in the helpdesk. OPSD doesn't automatically create an account within the software for users it finds.
    OPSD has never auto created account like it did in My Little Helpdesk, this was why the bulk upload tool was added to provide a quick and easy way to add users.

  13. #583

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    6,008
    Thank Post
    680
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Rep Power
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTNUT View Post
    Vik, that error your are showing would look like you have a mixture of files, some old and some new. This is error is produced as some opf the components have been upgraded since the last full release and it does not look like these have been fully upgraded when you copied the files over.

    As for not backing up prior to an upgrade, well I say it over and over make sure you backup it all up first.

    All others that are having issues accessing the users area I have found 2 issues, 1) if you remove a department that is no longer required but a user is still linked to it, it has ben set as thier primary queue, this will break the users area. 2) When adding new users either one by one or by using the bulk upload tool the default queue is not being set and this then breaks the user area.

    The good new is that there will be a hotfix for this ready for Monday morning, we are working through the weekend to resolve this.
    Any suggestions to a fix then? I don't know how the files are screwed up, it's a simple process to Ctrl-A Ctrl-C Ctrl-V. Then replace all.

    I've only applied 2 upgrades since the last version you gave me which i believe was a FULL one, that allowed me to set up a blank DB.

    The version i'm on is the only one that allows me to access the users area.

    I didn't backup, because i didn't think i'd need to considering i was only using basic functionality like adding users via a csv, and setting up queues and SLAs. I know i'm getting too overconfident and a bit cavalier now.

    I haven't done the upgrade to latest release yet due to fear of losing user access as reported.

    I'm not sure what you mean about the departments, but i haven't deleted any queues.
    Also, when adding users it says that primary queue is not required, so not sure what the default needs to be, i'm guessing it's a backend thing...

    Previously, prior to the bulk update, i was able to add individual users, by matching their username to AD and it worked fine.

    I've gone back to snapshot now, losing any setup i'd done, but at least i can log in again.

    I added some users manually, without LDAP enabled and they work fine. I've imported a small list of users via CSV, and again, after a reboot, they all work fine.

    I've later enabled LDAP, and it got a bit borked, as the ldap_group field is case sensitive just like the usernames for those that don't know, so be warned. Anyway, i fixed that in the db, and now all log in fine.

    I've since added a user manually and via csv, and they seem to work too. So the only thing that was different this time round, is that i didn't upload a massive csv that had duplicates in it.

    Is there a way to delete users? If not, can there be one?
    Also, is it possible to add custom fields to the user tables? I'd like to record the school / department of the user for future analysis. e.g. Upper School / Science; Primary School / Y3.

    I'm still getting that AJAX error on users area, even though i can use most functions still.

    Also when trying to use the email poller, i can put the settings in and click update, but then they disappear from the input boxes. When i hit test, i get the following:

    Webpage error details
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.1; FDM; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; OfficeLiveConnector.1.3; OfficeLivePatch.0.0)
    Timestamp: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 08:07:39 UTC

    Message: Sys.WebForms.PageRequestManagerServerErrorExceptio n: 'ddlPOP3Queue' has a SelectedValue which is invalid because it does not exist in the list of items.
    Parameter name: value
    Line: 2
    Char: 74672
    Code: 0
    URI: http://ithelpdesk/ScriptResource.axd...ffffffe43a7b39
    I'm going to try Friday's Full release now, but please advise on course of action, if my files are not correct. Is there a way to test..?

    Should i just start again with a blank db. Again?
    Last edited by vikpaw; 20th February 2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: grammar

  14. #584
    ICTNUT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hereford
    Posts
    1,419
    Thank Post
    196
    Thanked 249 Times in 122 Posts
    Rep Power
    62
    Vik,

    Seeing as you have added duplicate users to your database and that you have issues with files I would say do a clean install using the latest FULL release. This issue surrounding the email poller settings not saving was fixed in the full version.

    As we will have a fix to the Users area access issue on Monday I would wait and apply that version as it will be the full version including the hot fix.

    We aim to get this up tonight so that user can apply the update first thing although I am aware that it is half term next week.

    When adding uses via the bulk upload tool there is no check currently performed to see if a user already exisits in the helpdesk, this has been added to the tracker and will be resolved in a future release, so you need to insure that users already in the helpdesk are remove from your upload file first.

  15. #585

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    6,008
    Thank Post
    680
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Rep Power
    353
    Cheers Oz.

    I've just done an upgrade to my install, and put on Friday's release. All is fine. Email poller saves settings, but wont connect as yet but i'm not sure why, it says it's either a bad connection or timing out.

    I've just added 2 new users via csv and they work, so perhaps dfergusson's issue was to do with malformed users in an update file...?

    Would still like to be able to delete users, especially in this testing phase. I'm running out of users for who i know the password

    I still have that script error on users config pages, to do with AJAX toolkit. i've done a complete replace on files, from the friday release. Doesn't that mean the error is now in the db??

    Rather than deleting the old files, i copy over - that's correct right? I presume that's why web.config is not part of the files now, so it doesn't get overwritten. Just thinking i might have an old defunct file that is being picked up somehow.

    Also, can i just check, the files are not written to in usage are they? So in terms of backups, i just need a .bak file from the db, if i'm keeping a backup of all files i download on a different server...?

    thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Framework for ICT Technical Support (FITS)
    By FITS in forum School ICT Policies
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 3rd March 2009, 09:38 AM
  2. very very urgent: FITS Your Experiences
    By russdev in forum General EduGeek News/Announcements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 23rd October 2007, 11:21 PM
  3. Is your school website DDA compliant?
    By bishopsgarthstockton in forum Web Development
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10th July 2007, 03:34 PM
  4. dda compliant website
    By Uraken in forum Web Development
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 8th June 2007, 09:23 AM
  5. PHP based Helpdesk with IMAP or POP3 authentication?
    By wesleyw in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 18th October 2006, 01:08 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •