+ Post New Thread
Scripts Thread, Word 2000 : Toolbar customisation in Coding and Web Development; I originally wrote this little script.. http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...ewtopic&t=4681 .. which was supposed to handle customised Normal.dot copying to profiles when people ...
    Thank Post

Word 2000 : Toolbar customisation

I originally wrote this little script..
    http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...ewtopic&t=4681
    .. which was supposed to handle customised Normal.dot copying to profiles when people logged in but for whatever reason it didn't really work too well so I took another look at the problem and came up with something a heck of a lot better.

The attached script allows you to customise the standard toolbars and some of the options related to them.

Note: It does not customise additional toolbars, or customising of buttons that aren't part of the standard toolbars already.

How you use the script is ideally to:
    - create a completely new/default Normal.dot for Word 2000 (either by deleting your existing one or by starting Word in a brand new user account).
    - Turn on/off the toolbars you want and position them as you want
    - Remove buttons as required
    - (Adding buttons may or may not work - I haven't tested)

Once you're happy with your layout you edit the script and set:
    Code:
    getBinArray = 1
    Now run the script and it will output a file called: binval.txt
    This file contains the array you need to copy/paste into the script to replace the binArray1 line with.

- Do the copy/paste, make sure you've got the correct array name (not the default: binArrayNEW)
    - Reset the
    Code:
    getBinArray = 0

After that run a quick test by playing with a different account and a different toolbar layout.. run the script with Word shutdown.. then run Word again... If it works it's good to go and you can then add it as a startup script.

It seems to work for me but YMMV so any problems, please report below..

Thank Post

Re: Word 2000 : Toolbar customisation

Oh and before I forget..

This script looks for and uses a custom key called "Reset" in the same registry segment.

I've gone with a DWord value of 1 rather than a true/false as this allows the script to be modified so that updates can be applied based on the value and as you develop different/better layouts.

If the script detects that the "reset" value = 1 then it won't reapply the toolbar value so you won't lose peoples customisations after the script has applied the new layout once.

I plan to do a little more work on this to include the UserInOU() function so that different toolbar layouts can be applied for different groups. This will make it possible to have one simple layout for really young children and a fuller layout for more mature users.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

What versions of Office does this work with? Is it just Office 2k or do later/earlier versions honour these settings?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    What versions of Office does this work with? Is it just Office 2k or do later/earlier versions honour these settings?
    I honestly haven't tried it with later versions yet although I've 2003 at another school so it's on the agenda..

At present though the regpath is set to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Word\Data so as it stands you'd need to change that for anything else..

I'll look into it but if anyone else gets there first please let me know and I'll modify accordingly.

Thank Post

Just a small nugget to add to this that I forgot before..

This will not work with a customised normal.dot or rather it won't work if you have a different normal.dot that you've used to create/grab the snapshot from... compared to your target user(s) normal.dot.

If you want to "force" your users to use a standardised normal.dot when you first deploy this script you need to actively delete their existing normal.dot file in their profiles/application data directory and allow the system to create a new default version.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread