+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scripts Thread, Map network drives in Coding and Web Development; I've used batch files for mapping drives for years, but I find that VB script much more flexible and reliable. ...

Thank Post

Re: Map network drives

I've used batch files for mapping drives for years, but I find that VB script much more flexible and reliable.

It allows us very easily to decide who has what drives simply by changing group memberships, how simple can you get! It runs very quickly and very reliably with nothing visible to the user while it executes, and one script does the lot, all users run the same script, so I only need to modify one script if I change drive mappings etc.

I love VB scripts, I also have one for printer mapping, and several other ones that do different things for me.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    Not wanting to sound a tad over the top but it amazes me the level people go to just to map a few drives.
    I use a nice and simple batch script on logon, a few net use commands and if a drive needs mapping after this event for a certain application then a quick AutoIT launch script using the DriveMapAdd command.
    KIS - Keep It Simple.
    Completely agree with the KISS idea - I'd guess some people have different ideas of what that entails :-)

Lots of batch files seem like a really bad idea - it's just more things to keep track of. Also, I think that if you want to run batch files you have to let users have read/execute access to cmd.exe - this means that they will get to a command prompt at some point. If this doesn't matter then there's no problem :-)

The other issue is that each batch file needs a copy of cmd.exe launching which takes time - probably not a big issue but something to think about.

going for a single login script which handles all login situations seems simple to me - mine is split up into sub-routines for different purposes (eg one maps printers; another connects the correct proxy server (different for different sites and users); another sets the web home page and so on.

Much of this could be done in batch files but I find VBScript much more flexible and easier to debug so that's the way I go.

Obviously, other people have different needs/abilities/boredom levels etc and will do their own thing - variety is good because it leads to new discoveries :-)

Thank Post

mine is split up into sub-routines for different purposes (eg one maps printers; another connects the correct proxy server (different for different sites and users); another sets the web home page and so on.
    That sounds like a good script
    Any chance we could get a peek?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12