+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Scripts Thread, Pupil annoying you? in Coding and Web Development; Are you looking for something to shut computers down at the end of the day? Could just use a batch ...
    Thank Post
    Are you looking for something to shut computers down at the end of the day? Could just use a batch file along these lines-

Code:
    shutdown -m	\\roomNumws01	 -s -t 300 -c "This computer will shut down as part of the school's green commitment. Apologies if it is in use. Please save any work immediately."
    shutdown -m	\\roomNumws02	 -s -t 300 -c "This computer will shut down as part of the school's green commitment. Apologies if it is in use. Please save any work immediately."
    shutdown -m	\\roomNumws03	 -s -t 300 -c "This computer will shut down as part of the school's green commitment. Apologies if it is in use. Please save any work immediately."
    shutdown -m	\\roomNumws04	 -s -t 300 -c "This computer will shut down as part of the school's green commitment. Apologies if it is in use. Please save any work immediately."
    shutdown -m	\\roomNumws05	 -s -t 300 -c "This computer will shut down as part of the school's green commitment. Apologies if it is in use. Please save any work immediately."
    shutdown -m	\\roomNumws06	 -s -t 300 -c "This computer will shut down as part of the school's green commitment. Apologies if it is in use. Please save any work immediately."
    Can be scheduled using task scheduler.

The comment -c and time -t (currently 300 seconds, five minutes) can be ammended along with the hostnames -m of the machines.

I usually use Excel to knock these up super quick, paste shutdown -m into the left column, hostname into the middle and your parameters for shutdown time, action and comment into the middle.

Drag the middle column down and, assuming you have a fairly consist naming policy ending in a number, autocomplete will fill in all the hostnames for you.

The text in the other columns will stay exactly as is (drag each column down to the correct number of rows seperately). Then simply copy into notepad and save your file with the extension .bat

IMHO best practice is to create one for each suite, as any unreachable (i.e. already shut down, network cable out) machines will hold up the script for about 30 seconds. With one script for the entire site, and a medium to large size site, that could result in delays into the hours before the last computer receives the command.

If you do one for each room you have fairly granular control and can still trigger them all to run at the same time.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE SHUTDOWN CANNOT BE CANCELLED BY A NON-ADMIN USER, I check with Imperio to ensure that the suite is not in use before running the script.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I use a batch script to - not just to shutdown (take away the -r), but to restart a machine so I have time to block or move their account:

shutdown -r -t 0 -f -m

If you forget the switches, it's 'Read The Frigging Manual' - replace certain words as you would like...
    Last edited by Mr.Ben; 11th February 2010 at 05:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rowed View Post
    Is there a way that this script can close down multiple pc's and without entering the machine into Dos.

Thanks in advance.
    depends how celver youre feeling i just use specops gpupdate select the pcs and turn off

Thank Post
    we use ABtutor here, so much fun!!!

I had considered instead of banning game sites make the pages forward to that rick astley song

rick'roll pwnage

Thank Post
    haha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK2tWVj6lXw that is brilliant you cant beat the rick roll!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Rick astley is so last year.... Trololo is where its at these days.

YouTube - Ed Roll'D Trololo (Original Video)

Thank Post
    this isnt a touch on the rick roll!

Thank Post
    i have a .vbs script that turns on and off num lock, caps lock and scroll lock but i can't get it to run on a remote machine here is the script

Set wshShell =wscript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    do
    wscript.sleep 100
    wshshell.sendkeys "{NUMLOCK}"
    WScript.sleep 100
    wshshell.sendkeys "{CAPSLOCK}"
    WScript.sleep 100
    wshshell.sendkeys "{SCROLLLOCK}"
    WScript.sleep 100
    loop

anyone got any idea how i can get this to work on a remote machine?

Thank Post
    GOOD oNE YOUVE NOw got Me WritINg liKE thIS????? loL

JPS
    Thank Post
    ABTutor is very good. Love locking the screens. Suddenly all eyes upon the teacher!

Thank Post
    I like taking control of students computers quietly when they are playing games and press random keys so that they loose the game. Once it says game over, I ban the site

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    well it's all changed since my day....all we had were a few PC's in the sixth form block (hugely embarrassed when I returned to my secondary school a year or so ago to meet my old head of year and kmount who quickly cited my entrance into the 'IT naughty book' for some rather murky adolescent surfing!!) I very nearly dropped down dead on the spot

I can't believe how many tricks and traps are at your disposal nowadays...no wonder the student's hacking skills are on the increase!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123