+ Post New Thread
Scripts Thread, DVD Image - script to autoplay in Coding and Web Development; Hi all, I have a DVD (school excercise) that the whole school needs to access across the network because I ...

Thank Post

DVD Image - script to autoplay

Hi all,

I have a DVD (school excercise) that the whole school needs to access across the network because I dont want to burn 25 copies of it only for them to end up cracked, scratched, lost or otherwise rendered unusable.
    So I made a nice neat .ISO image of the dvd and used a batch file (as below) to call Daemon Tools to mount the image to the virtual DVD drive...all good so far...however I am having trouble getting it to autoplay. When the shortcut to the batch file is clicked the image mounts great but the user would then have to open My Computer and double click the virtual drive to get it to play, great for us but not for teachers or reception children. I need it to open up and play in either Media player, Nero showtime or Powerdvd when the batch file is run. Ive tried adding various switches to the end of line7 to no avail.

Batch is as follows:-

@echo off

title TAKE Aerobics
    "c:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -unmount 0
    "c:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -mount 0, "\\server01\media\Videos\TAKE_Aerobics.iso"

"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe"

any ideas?

Thank Post
    Daemon Script is your friend! We use it here with Daemon Tools V3.47. For the life of me I cant find the download link! FOUND IT
    Last edited by clarky2k3; 18th November 2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Found The Link

Thank Post
    Thank you nice little app, but still cant get it to autoplay. I can get it to open media player or any other DVD player after mounting the image (as my original script did) but cannot get media player to automatically select the E:\ drive (virtual drive) and play the DVD. Am I missing something that this app does that my existing batch script didnt?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    In the batch script if you just put

E:

At the end of the bat script would that make it launch E:

Thank Post
    you see I normally (when running an application) simply add the path to the executable at the end of the batch script, but because this is a dvd Video there is no EXE to call otherwise id create an Autorun.inf and call that from the script. I can of course add the path to the dvd player but that wont default to the virtual drive and play.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dyson38 View Post
    you see I normally (when running an application) simply add the path to the executable at the end of the batch script, but because this is a dvd Video there is no EXE to call otherwise id create an Autorun.inf and call that from the script. I can of course add the path to the dvd player but that wont default to the virtual drive and play.

If you had wmp classic on the clients you could do it that way then and put the path as something along the lines of

e:\video_ts

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    If you have VLC Media Player (portable or standard versions) you could use the following command to play the DVD ISO directly...

Code:
    VLC.exe dvdsimple://\\Server01\Media\Videos\TAKE_Aerobics.iso

8. Thanks to Arthur from:

OutToLunch (20th November 2009)

Thank Post
    Thank you the last suggestion worked, needed a little tweak to get it to play the menu instead of defaulting to the first track, apart from that worked like a charm.

Thank you all, much appreciated

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    If you have VLC Media Player (portable or standard versions) you could use the following command to play the DVD ISO directly...

Code:
    VLC.exe dvdsimple://\\Server01\Media\Videos\TAKE_Aerobics.iso
    You learn something new about VLC every day Thanks for that!

Thank Post
    Thank you the last suggestion worked, needed a little tweak to get it to play the menu instead of defaulting to the first track, apart from that worked like a charm.
    Ah yes. I forgot to mention that if you wanted VLC to start playing the DVD at the menu, you just need to remove 'simple' from the command above.

Thank Post
    Just one more thing to note, when VLC starts up it give a network security screen..great for a single user but im deploying this to 100 machines used by primary school kids. I found various suggestions on changing and re-deploying the exe none of which worked, in the end went to old vesion 8.6 which doesnt have the network security screen. DVD plays perfectly on the click of the batch file with all original tracks and menus just as if it were in the drive.

Thanks again

Thank Post
    Just one more thing to note, when VLC starts up it give a network security screen..great for a single user but I'm deploying this to 100 machines used by primary school kids. I found various suggestions on changing and re-deploying the exe none of which worked, in the end went to old version 8.6 which doesn't have the network security screen.
    For future reference, you can disable this in the latest version of VLC by using additional switches in your batch file. i.e.

Code:
    VLC.exe --no-qt-updates-notif --no-qt-privacy-ask --no-video-title-show --started-from-file dvd://\\Server01\Media\Videos\TAKE_Aerobics.iso

14. Thanks to Arthur from:

OutToLunch (24th November 2009)

Thank Post
    excuse my ignorance

Cant you just decode the DVD and rip it to a shared directory on your server or make a new directory ?
    and share it as normal , im pretty sure standard Vobs can be opened with WMP.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread