+ Post New Thread
Scripts Thread, SQL & PERL.... in Coding and Web Development; Evening All. I have in my first year of studying at uni part time whilst working full time. I have ...
    Thank Post

SQL & PERL....

Evening All.

I have in my first year of studying at uni part time whilst working full time. I have an assignment on the horizon which will involve me knowing SQL and PERL.

Can anyone offer any pointers as this will be very new to me. I have books on order and have been consulting such websites as sqlcourse.com and I am using Notepad++ as the text editor, but would really like to know a lot more info about the back end..end of things, as in how to actually view the end result of what you have put in......the GUI end I guess.

Any suggestions or pointers would be most welcome.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have a look at Perl Express as an IDE with built-in parser/viewer.

Thank Post
    Cheers for that. I'll check it out now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by acrobson View Post
    I have books on order and have been consulting such websites as sqlcourse.com and I am using Notepad++ as the text editor, but would really like to know a lot more info about the back end..end of things, as in how to actually view the end result of what you have put in......the GUI end I guess.
    What sort of thing is the assignment going to ask you to produce? When you say "GUI" do you mean client-side GUI or HTML output? The important thing to remember about SQL is that is based on set mathematics - you might want to revise (or learn) your A-level stuff on sets before you start. Don't neglect the database design at the start, don't just start programming and hope for the best. That said, once you've got the design stage out of the way skip the large step-by-step textbooks and just pagefault[1] on knowledge - any time you don't know what to do, type stuff in to Google and figure it out.

[1] You'll be told what one of those is next year.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    What sort of thing is the assignment going to ask you to produce? When you say "GUI" do you mean client-side GUI or HTML output? The important thing to remember about SQL is that is based on set mathematics - you might want to revise (or learn) your A-level stuff on sets before you start. Don't neglect the database design at the start, don't just start programming and hope for the best. That said, once you've got the design stage out of the way skip the large step-by-step textbooks and just pagefault[1] on knowledge - any time you don't know what to do, type stuff in to Google and figure it out.

[1] You'll be told what one of those is next year.

--
    David Hicks

I am studying Computer Forensics and 'Ethical' Hacking; it is to design a forensics analysis and retrieval tool. Basically, something which you can run to get information off a PC which otherwise may take hours or days and give a nice pretty GUI to view it in and not change any of the logs etc to keep it forensically sound.

As for GUI, I want something, that when I'm type the SQL, I can run 'it' and see if flags up any errors and then go back amend it 'it', run it again and see whet it comes out like. If that makes sense?!?!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah, for a MySQL GUI have a look at HeidiSQL. Type your queries, run them, view results, see errors, and save them as snippets.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Ah, for a MySQL GUI have a look at HeidiSQL. Type your queries, run them, view results, see errors, and save them as snippets.
    Looks spot on that, I shall take a look once I have finished my 2000 word assignment on 'echnology advancements since 1969'. I'm really interested in forensics and all things security wise, that's my 'area' sort of thing, just never had the chance or oppurtunity to turn my hand to programming.

Got to start one day I guess!

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    just pagefault[1] on knowledge - any time you don't know what to do, type stuff in to Google and figure it out.
    That's a brilliant expression! In computer terms, page faults are kind of bad but people who can "page fault on knowledge" are showing advanced skills :-)

Thank Post
    Okaaaaay!

I am looking at getting an academic version of MS Visual Studio from my course provider. Would this be any good you reckon?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    That's a brilliant expression!
    But not mine: it was coined by Joel Spolsky, as co-presenter on the Stack Overflow podcast. It neatly sums up the way that people actually work these days, and in some cases how some computing courses are now being taught - know your basic theory, but when it comes to specifics just stick the relevant keywords in to Google and figure it out as you go along. These are, after all, computers we're talking about here - most of "programming" these days involves working with a bunch of assorted processor architectures / OSs / languages / APIs, generally a selection of all of them all at once. Very little involves anything not created by human beings someplace, designed by someone with the intention of being easy (or possible, at least) to understand. It's not "real" science in the sense of unlocking the secrets of chemistry / physics / etc.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by acrobson View Post
    I am looking at getting an academic version of MS Visual Studio from my course provider. Would this be any good you reckon?
    What is it you're trying to get a nice GUI tool to show you? The results from an SQL query? Do you have a database that is that complex, or do you just need somewhere convenient to write lots of results so you can process them later? Perl isn't a Microsoft language, although I'm sure Visual Studio either handles it or can be set up to do so, but I get the impression that if someone is giving you a Perl exercise to do they might be intending that you get used to writing (and debugging) terminal applications. If you have a simple database design to deal with it might be worth trying to picture the results of an SQL query in your head before using a GUI tool, so you have the hang of what you're doing for future reference.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    For perl:

PerlMonks - The Monastery Gates

and; your life long friend; CPAN

cpan have almost all modules available for perl, although you can write your own perlmodules;

if your lazy like me and can't be bothered say, writing the base64 tables module for unrealircd, then yeah =) all there! (now THAT was boring when i had to write that )

even good old freezethaw!
    Last edited by AndySimmo; 6th November 2009 at 06:21 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread